PDA

View Full Version : New Brand: Ology Audio... very promising BA Z6 preformance, not even half the cost

Eugenics
07-29-2005, 12:51 AM
So ive been talking to this guy, Dylan Matlow. Hes in the process of building his own audio company and is working his way from the bottom. At first glance it looked like just another person trying to sell some pieced together components. But this guy really knows his stuff. And if the reviews are true then all he needs is some time and well have another RE or SS on our hands.

Ive been looking at the SL, PL and DPL line of speakers. Check out the pictures of this stuff. http://www.hypercircuit.com/ologyaudio/stereoweb/stereoweb.html this really is a basment outfit. The guy makes his own Crossovers, with cad programs and his two hands. I hear hes got rainman trapped in a closet crunching numbers as well. These babys (the PL series 6") even edged out the Boston Acoustics Z6s'. there also right on par with the Rainbow Platinums' http://www.carstereo.com/forum/show...TID=19991&FID=4

Most of his (premium line) comp sets are in the prototype stages now.... All the premium line use the Dayton RS tweeter... 5" RS 2way, 6" RS 2way, 7" RS 2way, 8" RS and 6" RS 3way 10" RS and 7" RS 3way All are simply driver costs +$150 for the xover assembled for the 2 ways, $250 for the 3 ways... DPL line (Dual premium line) All use the Dayton RS tweeter -- same as the above component sets but simply use 2 of each driver per side... VERY hard to install properly... $200 for the xover assembled for the 2 ways or ~$350 for the 3 ways + driver costs The budget sets are under development still but should be done soon.

So guys, this is a college student like many of us right now, and his company has a very bright future ahead of them. Take time to look at this stuff and think about it, there not the best looking sets ever but the sound quality is top notch at around a third of the cost. No im not payed by him, no im not trying to sell these things for a profit, or even sell them. Hell i dont even know the guy besides some aim conversations. Just do yourselves a favor and look over this stuff, also give your opinions and ask questions. please keep this bumped!

zachzchw
07-29-2005, 01:20 AM
Interesting.........Always room for more nice audio companies.....

flakko
07-29-2005, 01:33 AM
hes posting here :)

flakko
07-29-2005, 01:35 AM
ooo hes looking too

OlogyAudio
07-29-2005, 01:40 AM
I am indeed operating out of the basement :)
I was on another forum until very recently (they let people advertise freely so I built my name and legitimacy there so I could move to the bigger forums...)

Everything is prototype for now but available publicly at a lower than normal price, since there is no dealer markup whatsoever at this point... No dealer's toes to step on ethr... When I do find enough interested stores though things will change a little bit at least since everything will be assembled on PCBs with nice little barrier blocks and possibly even a nice little black box if most people end up wanting that...

Unlike RE for example I will have an online store -- like RE however if there is a dealer in your area... you would likely be stuck getting it through them...

Also what do you think? No black box and a cheaper product, or black box and slightly more expensive???

Oh yea and note the SIZE of these xovers... you have to plan where you are going to stick them ahead of time :) -- they aren't the typical little puny things you normally see in car audio near this price range...

I'm ending up making much less than min. wage for the components with all the time I've put into this so far -- so at this point its NOT for the money (while there is a little bit in there to help compensate for blisters...) -- it is for people to get them out into the world, get their install pictures up, and get reviews up for everyone to see... Possibly to help convince dealers in their area that it is a great idea for them to carry my products so I can order those PCBs and the blisters will go away... Wiring p2p in bulk isn't fun!

I hope my PM box will fill up with all kinds of questions!

flakko
07-29-2005, 01:47 AM
hmm. so basically what you do is take already made parts (woofers and tweeters) and create a crossover for them?

PRIVATEpastry
07-29-2005, 01:52 AM
I met Dylan on CarStereo.com. He is very knowledgable, and a great guy. If I hadn't picked up a set of RE comps, I'd be running his comps now. In time I might be running them anyways! I can assure you that he knows his stuff, and he is a great guy to deal with!

OlogyAudio
07-29-2005, 01:52 AM
Basically -- trying to get off the ground more than anything so I'll have enough money to order huge batches of drivers more tuned to what I want... I have more than an handful of things that I want to do that have never been done before... Was talking to chad at ascendant audio a little bit about some of this -- hes heard a few of my lesser ideas :) I could patent the ones I was talking to chad about but they'd be so easy to get around (I know how the darn industry works...) its useless haha -- not to mention thats a few years off till I have the funds for that sort of R/D anyways...

Thanks for the kind words there too :)

cappy72
07-29-2005, 08:04 AM
im curious as to what specifically you do?

like someone said, are you just building x-overs right now? or everything?

3.5Max6spd
07-29-2005, 09:48 AM
Dayton Rs raw drivers are not the most expensive, spec. when you know someone with a partsexpress account. So how is this any luring? considering people have used/continue to use these drivers in car active applications and have easy, non-expensive access to try them. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, just curious as to how you plan on taking off with this and be profitable. I take it there will be 4ohm versions.

I commend you on your aspirations, its a nice idea.

tRiGgEr
07-29-2005, 10:14 AM
So you're buying items and reselling them? Sounds like an ebay store in the making...

Good luck I guess.

OlogyAudio
07-29-2005, 11:06 AM
Dayton Rs raw drivers are not the most expensive, spec. when you know someone with a partsexpress account. So how is this any luring? considering people have used/continue to use these drivers in car active applications and have easy, non-expensive access to try them. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, just curious as to how you plan on taking off with this and be profitable. I take it there will be 4ohm versions.

I commend you on your aspirations, its a nice idea.

Well I'm offering complete component sets with a *proper* passive xover -- which is something component sets near this price in the retail world don't have... I mean if you wanted to use these drivers, knew what you were doing, and had lots of EQ for each independent driver (not each channel -- I do indeed mean each driver, these midwoofers need some serious work done to them to make them sound 'right') as well as a spare amplification channel for each channel.... well this ends up being more expensive than the passive network by a fairly wide margin... It is better but again you get no tweeter protection that’s for sure -- :)

Yes there will be 4 ohm versions of the RS drivers -- and the faster I have any sizeable amount of money to spend to try something new and innovative out -- the sooner there will be a version of the RS driver with a cone of quality second (or third depending) to diamond, employing a new voice coil technology of my invention that will allow a 500 watts or more power dissipation in a small midwoofer -- upwards of a 100 watts RMS sine wave to a tweeter -- among other things... Was talking to chad about this and he seemed to think it was a good idea :) -- I have a ton of ideas that will work very nicely as well... like a rigid ribbon tweeter that *will* cost an arm and a leg but in theory it shouldn't get better than this -- I just have to work on the motor a little bit with some better tools... a few new motor topologies that are promising for ultra high end applications -- but more expensive... one of which if used for a subwoofer you could get upwards of 4" of Xmax -- before needing to rework the suspension again to make it able to move that far... but that is also doable -- just even more expensive...

BTW people hearing these components in a store sadly aren't informed about the DIY side of things more than likely -- they will just hear my component sets that sound better than the more expensive ones and go O.o -- why are you even selling those other guys? It is a good way to help the people get a good deal at local stores -- as well as a way for local stores to compete with internet pricing...

I'm trying to stay under $750 if at all humanly possible after all the markups (this factors ~70% for the stores) for everything are said and done... my example here is that they are better than BA Z6.... That item is normally sold in the retail stores for $999 -- but online for $650... If someone is say going to the store to listen to the Z6 and is planning on buying it online instead, and the sales man points them towards the OA PL6 or PL7 instead, they hear it and it sounds better than the Z6 and can be had local for not much of a price difference between the online Z6 price and the better PL6/7... they are likely to pickup the PL6/7 depending on what will fit… instead of saving another $100 by buying it online from some place they never heard of... That’s the idea behind it – help save local businesses since we all rly HATE best buys… Nah I didn’t insult them… they wouldn’t want to carry a high end component set anyways would they… lol :)

Possibly after I get off the ground a little bit -- show chad and the others how serious I am, I wouldn't have an issue merging with another of these fledgling companies trying to keep things moving along in the audio world... Accuton is in trouble though when I get my ceramic versions of the RS drivers out there and they are more durable and sound better than theirs if nothing else...

squeak9798
07-29-2005, 04:29 PM
hmm. so basically what you do is take already made parts (woofers and tweeters) and create a crossover for them?

In all honesty; that's nothing too different than what most car audio companies are already doing, even the big name brands. Alpine, CDT, etc etc all take "off the shelf" drivers (Vifa, Peerless, etc), make a tweak or two here and there in the design to make them better suited for car audio, design their own crossover (or have someone design the crossover), maybe make a few cosmetic changes, slap their label on them and sell them to you for 500x the cost of the raw drivers.

Ology's operation is a little rough around the edges yet because he is just getting started......but overall, it isn't too much different than what even the "main" manufacturer's are doing.

squeak9798
07-29-2005, 04:35 PM
Oh.....and honestly Ology; You may do better for yourself right now (starting out) if you would simply say "bring me your drivers, and I'll build you a quality, excellently design passive xover" rather than stick with a solid "product line" to get some side business [read: money] to help yourself out. Hell, you could really make some side income if you found a good tweeter and designed a quality xover for the XXX mids. People are clamoring for them, but most of the people either don't want/can't afford/don't understand active. Let them pick up the XXX mids from RE, and you'll sell them the xover and tweets.

tRiGgEr
07-29-2005, 04:42 PM
People are clamoring for them, but most of the people either don't want/can't afford/don't understand active. Let them pick up the XXX mids from RE, and you'll sell them the xover and tweets.

I'm running mine active right now. But would still probably pick up a Xover and tweet if he made them, what a great idea:thumbsup:

OlogyAudio
07-29-2005, 05:44 PM
Oh.....and honestly Ology; You may do better for yourself right now (starting out) if you would simply say "bring me your drivers, and I'll build you a quality, excellently design passive xover" rather than stick with a solid "product line" to get some side business [read: money] to help yourself out. Hell, you could really make some side income if you found a good tweeter and designed a quality xover for the XXX mids. People are clamoring for them, but most of the people either don't want/can't afford/don't understand active. Let them pick up the XXX mids from RE, and you'll sell them the xover and tweets.

Thanks for the great idea there squeak I heart you :) The RS drivers may be cleaner but everyone loves the XXX because of the massive xmax and unparalleled brute force -- Time to talk with RE... The XXX is suited for a 3 way more than anything -- WAY too much linear distortion for my tastes :) -- I think we need a version of the WR125 that is 2 or 4 ohm to mate up with the XXX and a less expensive less robust tweeter since the WR can handle 3.5khz no problem... I guess I should talk to Dan Wiggens and Al Wooley about that one...

So here is the question of the day... What tweeter for the XXX? Dayton RS vs Seas Lotus vs Seas Millennium vs suggestions welcome with an fs under 900hz and at least 0.5mm of xmax... :) I'm leaning towards the RS naturally :) the $160 Millennium is awesome though but I have a hunch not many people want to shell out the extra bones...

BTW another review that is more informative is up:
http://www.carstereo.com/forum/showthread.cfm?tid=20079&fid=3

I hate linking to other forums...

Also... Bring me your drivers I'll put together an xover for ya... My measurement setup isn't as nice as I would like though yet... (Dieing for a quasi anechoic chamber like Partsexpress has).... but that costs an arm and a leg... Can't afford yet... Short Gated responses are only so good... and outside = other artifacts... combined they are usefull though but eat a day to get good measurements :)

squeak9798
07-29-2005, 05:57 PM
*cough* would appreciate 20% of all profits for my novel idea *cough*

Haha....kidding.

Anyways; Cheaper the better, without sacrificing performance, IMHO. Dayton RS seems to fit the bill nicely.

Raven
07-29-2005, 06:20 PM
Passive crossover designs for custom setups would kick ***. Would be a great way to help out DIY-ers, as long as it's less expensive than a decent quality 3 way active crossover (~$115)

cappy72
07-29-2005, 06:30 PM
make that money with the XXXs and the comps