PDA

View Full Version : bass boost distortion with kenwood x979?

Lil Poot
07-28-2005, 08:58 PM
i'm about to hook up my rl-p 12's in my car, but im not sure my nine.1 will run them as hard as i want without bass boost on the deck. is it going to distort or clip if i turn up the sub output or the volume all the way on my excelon x979?

Lil Poot
07-30-2005, 08:33 AM
1 view? BUMP!!

El Ropo
07-30-2005, 11:07 AM
Not enough info...

What impedance is the amp running at? If it's 1 or 2 ohms, than you should have no problem with that amp being weak. @ 2 ohms it'll push about 1000 watts rms to your woofers. @ 1 ohm, it'll be sending close to 1500 watts rms, given your electrical system can handle the 100+ amp current draw :)

Clipping and distortion will happen at a lower overall volume level if you "boost your bass" in any way. Leave the bass boost on the amp close to zero, or zero. Leave the bass on HU flat. Adjust gains with a DMM, all should be good.

OK, after checking soundsplinter's website, I'm assuming you have 2 dual 4 ohm DVC woofers. So ~750 watts rms of super clean power to each should be plenty right?

FYI, correct voltage when adjusting gains would be the square root of [700 (assuming amp puts out 1400 clean watts, and I'm sure it will) x 1 (impedance)], which is 26.457 volts, or just round up to 26.5 volts.

**Edit** As far as the sub output on your excelon HU, they're pretty strong, so I'd leave it at 0 during gain setting, then you can adjust up or down from there when listening to various types of music. The Excelon voltage on the sub output isn't like the alpines where you have to turn them up to +15 to get close to the 5 volt output.

iceteebone
07-30-2005, 04:42 PM
read gain setting tutorial