PDA

View Full Version : alpine type r comps...

turnstylez18
07-28-2005, 03:00 AM
what do u think of these comps?...i just want to get comps with nice midbass and clear sound without getting harsh at high volumes...i will be powering them with a ma audio amp..about 200 rms per channel...

http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/2828

OlogyAudio
07-28-2005, 03:21 AM
spend more $$$ (150) get CDT cl 61a...... or spend $300 and get somthing awesome :) -- 200 RMS is a little bit much for that comp set... heh it is '70W' RMS -- and thats not a long term rating -- you couldn't give it a solid 70 watts rms and drive across the country and have it live thats for sure... :) If you watch your gains you should be fine though! those speakers will distort before they blow anyways unlike mine if you gave them 3x their RMS power :) well they would but that would be light-moderate clipping anyways on peaks...

turnstylez18
07-28-2005, 03:44 AM
im putting my gains low for sure..i dont wanna blow them...someone is buying me these comps so i dont want them to cost a lot...
but what do u think of them? are they good? will they give good midbass and clear sound without distortion or harshness

OlogyAudio
07-28-2005, 03:51 AM
type R are decent -- there are local places that carry them I'm sure -- so you can hear them first hand and see if you like them or not :) thats my only advice on that one... I think the type R are a little hard -- and the Type X are a little soft (hole in midrange at xover frequency ~~ would be better with a better xover...) The type R are lacking any real Xover lol! not much better than some coax speakers on the cheap...

turnstylez18
07-28-2005, 04:02 AM
alrite thanks...u know any good comps that local places sell

OlogyAudio
07-28-2005, 04:12 AM
boston acoustics has some decent stuff -- diamond has some OK stuff... JLs stuff isn't my cup of tea -- but thats the stuff you will find local... If you can find a boston acoustics dealer that has the Z series.... ($1000/set) you can get better for about $300 a set -- very simmilar sound just more detail and better imaging -- flatter off axis too... If you have soldering skills I can send ya a design in the $110 120 ish parts costs range that would be awesome for the price as well...

JAZN
07-28-2005, 05:28 AM
from my experience, type-r's have a lackluster midbass and a harsh tweet.

turnstylez18
07-28-2005, 12:19 PM
i kinda wanna be budget on comps...dont want to spend too much...i want a good budget comp that does the job

OlogyAudio
07-28-2005, 03:16 PM
the question still stands... can you solder? haha