PDA

View Full Version : replacing the sub in a computer setup

swc204
07-27-2005, 11:47 PM
I got a altec lansing speaker system for my computer. The sub that came with the package isnt cutting it. I was woundering if there was any way that i could replace the subwoofer with a 8" woofer but keep the speakers that came with package.

AndyB
07-27-2005, 11:54 PM
yea... all you have to do is get some splitters from radio shack. (that offer to inputs that will plug into one input.) Plug those into where the wires from the speakers connect into the computer amp.Then, get your amp and sub, hook that up, get an rca and run it to the splitter inputs. (There should be 2) And plug that into the outputs on the amp. Or you could get a new subwoofer, but Altec lansing wont offer you much power for that subwoofer. Hope this helps, if you dont understand, LMW, i can take pics of mine. :)

swc204
07-28-2005, 01:40 AM
what do you mean by connectors?http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/basket/purchase.cfm?did=7 i was thinking this setup. is there anything else i need. i want to add a completly new sub and amp and box. I just want to use the original speakers with a new woofer and amp.

PV Audio
07-28-2005, 10:37 PM
i have an 8" sitting in my room that is being driven by 270 watts. you'd be amazed at how many people you can fool with this puppy. i believe that i tuned it at around 30 hz, and it sings with jazz music. i'd get rid of it for 200 or best offer. tell me if ur interested. i also have an old mtx sw2 ht sub that i'd need to get a good 100-120 for.