PDA

View Full Version : Those of you Running 300 + Watts To Their Comps....

Starky
07-27-2005, 09:36 PM
What amp do you use? and what is your gained Set at? im using the kicker 600.4 for mine ~300 Watts...for my boston Acoustic 6.4's

Mackenzie
07-27-2005, 09:59 PM
It doesnt matter what everyone else's is set at. That has nothing to do with your install. Just check out the gain tutorial.

Rattlebrain
07-27-2005, 10:02 PM
Man, the gain issue has been a hot topic today. Maybe it needs to be sticked to the top of every page on this forum. Just a thought.

desi_daru
07-28-2005, 01:34 AM
diff amps, diff speakers, diff x-over points, diff wiring, diff installs, diff car

r u really sure u want 2 set urs the same as sum1 eleses? jus make sure its set correctly and NO CLIPPLING ;) then ur good

HiAmplidude
07-28-2005, 08:31 PM
Ran my Ti6Comp Elites on 400W per side for long enough to tune it, then had to step way back to 100W per side. They were just way too over-the top loud, but they sure sounded great.

Amp was a bridged MB Quart RAA4200. Gain was set low at around 1/3rd of the way up (unknown Voltage sensitivity there).

jujumantb
07-28-2005, 08:38 PM
I think the precise gain thing is overrated.. Just turn it up till its good and loud at a reasonable deck level, then use your ears to see when you are givin them too much power, its not that difficult...

jacko
07-28-2005, 08:40 PM
agreed ^^^^

OlogyAudio
07-28-2005, 09:10 PM
^^^^ use your ears within reason -- just dont expect to have them last long if your RMS power is near the peak power handling of the comps... :) Remember that peaks in your music can be 20-30dB higher than the average level... a little thing called headroom... likes to send your 300 watt amp into light clipping even if you are only listening at a mid 90dB average listening level :) -- aka watch your tweeter :)

Starky
07-28-2005, 09:17 PM
^^^^ use your ears within reason -- just dont expect to have them last long if your RMS power is near the peak power handling of the comps... :) Remember that peaks in your music can be 20-30dB higher than the average level... a little thing called headroom... likes to send your 300 watt amp into light clipping even if you are only listening at a mid 90dB average listening level :) -- aka watch your tweeter :)

Though wouldnt sending 300 Watts RMS to a speaker that can handle 400 be alright?

HiAmplidude
07-28-2005, 09:25 PM
My motto: don't waste 4 channels of power when you get more than enough juice for the set (without strain or distortion) on 2 channels (and use your other 2 for something else).

That's how it turned out in my case, only. Every install is very different.

If I had a 50x4 @ 4 Ohm amp, obviously I wouldn't want to tap out my amp trying to push the hungry PG Elite's on only 50 Watts if I had 200 available by bridging the amp's channels. But, 400W each is too much. Gains set so low, it's just wasted amplifier capability.

Xtra
07-28-2005, 09:30 PM
My motto: don't waste 4 channels of power when you get more than enough juice for the set (without strain or distortion) on 2 channels (and use your other 2 for something else).

That's how it turned out in my case, only. Every install is very different.

If I had a 50x4 @ 4 Ohm amp, obviously I wouldn't want to tap out my amp trying to push the hungry PG Elite's on only 50 Watts if I had 200 available by bridging the amp's channels. But, 400W each is too much. Gains set so low, it's just wasted amplifier capability.
Yeah i've been thinking about bridging my Orion 8004 to Focal K2Ps which would give them 400w rms per. But got to thinking that i'd probably have to set the gains so low that it wouldnt be worth it in the end. Am I right?

OlogyAudio
07-28-2005, 10:21 PM
Yeah i've been thinking about bridging my Orion 8004 to Focal K2Ps which would give them 400w rms per. But got to thinking that i'd probably have to set the gains so low that it wouldnt be worth it in the end. Am I right?

See my comment about the headroom above..... even with the gains set low if the amplification is grossly over the peak power handling of the drivers... boom = high risk... As for speakers that can handle 400 watts RMS I can't think of any off the top of my head that don't cost an arm and a leg :)

Starky
07-28-2005, 10:29 PM
My Boston pros 6.4 only cost 150 (used) and even brand new they're not that expensive..

Curel
08-01-2005, 08:54 PM
Hey amplidude. i have the pg elite's also with a pg 500.4. haven't hooked them up yet. should i run them at 70 x 2 or 250 x 2? don't mean to be a thread stealer, but i figured this was a good time to ask.

ngsm13
08-01-2005, 09:23 PM
Read this:

Just because you have a "180watt" rms amplifier (180 x 2 rms or whatev) doesn't mean you're sending you speakers 180 watts. Use a DMM and a 0dB test tone and set those speakers to 180rms power using AC voltage...and I guarantee you they wouldn't last long ;)

Me, I like head room. You can get an amp that is rated at TWICE the rms power, but that doesn't mean you're sending the speaker that much power. It depends on input signal strength, gains, etc.

NG

NG

HiAmplidude
08-01-2005, 09:25 PM
Hey amplidude. i have the pg elite's also with a pg 500.4. haven't hooked them up yet. should i run them at 70 x 2 or 250 x 2? don't mean to be a thread stealer, but i figured this was a good time to ask.

Yo man, I'd hit it with the 250W/side, actually. Try both and see what you like, but I think if your installation is done well, and the rest of your system can keep up, those puppies will really wake up with the extra power.

bimma85
08-01-2005, 09:30 PM
Just because you have a "180watt" rms amplifier (180 x 2 rms or whatev) doesn't mean you're sending you speakers 180 watts. Use a DMM and a 0dB test tone and set those speakers to 180rms power using AC voltage...and I guarantee you they wouldn't last long

Me, I like head room. You can get an amp that is rated at TWICE the rms power, but that doesn't mean you're sending the speaker that much power. It depends on input signal strength, gains, etc.

NG
Are you saying that you'd buy a 300 watt amp and set it at say 150 watts?

HiAmplidude
08-01-2005, 09:34 PM
Read this:

NG

Yea, but if you're bridging a powerful 4-channel amp to utilize the additional headroom, and it turns out that to balance the system properly or avoid hyper-extending the drivers with reasonable x-over slopes/ranges, your gains are set so low that you're not even beginning to open the amp up in the slightest... un-bridge the amp, use the spare channels for something else, gain it back up to appropriate input levels, and enjoy.

I don't disagree with you, but I gotta' point out that there can be an area of use that crosses well into the line of wasting the amp's capabilities. Such is the case with my setup. Bridged, I couldn't gain the amp up barely past the first nudge on the sensitivity dial. Serious waste. Un-bridged (2 of 4 channels), I'm still running input sensitivity just OVER 4V off a 4V pre-out deck (about 2/5th of the way up), giving me plenty of headroom, no clipping, and sound that's just right.

Different systems require different setup, no doubt.

DJ Kontakt
08-04-2005, 11:38 AM
i run my comps with 110 rms, focal 136k's and its as loud and punchy as i could ask for.

I might build some custom components with 8" midbass , and give that set quite a bit more

99StangGt
08-04-2005, 08:02 PM
I am running a A/D/S PQ40.2 bridged making 400w per channel and running Seas 8 ohm 7" mids so they could only see a max 200w. works great. Tweeters are getting 100w. Nice to have the head room and play the speakers to there most without distortion.