PDA

View Full Version : cut through, need help

seth350
07-27-2005, 08:54 PM
A friend of mine asked me today if I can build him a box to go in the bed of his truck for 6 15'' L5s. And I said "ok, a box in the bed I can do that"

And now he mentioned doing a cut through and I told him I didnt know how to seal it to his cab. Hes gonna pay me a hefty amount to do this, and hes gonna cut the cab himself. I was just wondering how we should go about sealing the box to his cab and any other tips.

Any tutorials somewhere?

jacko
07-27-2005, 09:02 PM
I don't know... The frame to the cab to the box may have a great amount of flexing, make it strong, all I can say. Fiberglass with wood/sheet metal maybe. Is he going to keep the backseat of his truck or is it a reg. cab?

seth350
07-27-2005, 09:03 PM
I don't know... The frame to the cab to the box may have a great amount of flexing, make it strong, all I can say. Fiberglass with wood/sheet metal maybe. Is he going to keep the backseat of his truck or is it a reg. cab?

Its like a reg cab mini truck. like a little nissan or something.....

Acidburn
07-27-2005, 09:04 PM
Rangerman wrote up a little summary of his project a while ago, maybe you can find it

he recomends using this accordiany stuff that is on RVs and stuff

seth350
07-27-2005, 09:09 PM
Rangerman wrote up a little summary of his project a while ago, maybe you can find it

he recomends using this accordiany stuff that is on RVs and stuff

I think I know what your talking about....
I'll have to do some looking around for that.

But I still would like to have some sort of tutorial or something to look at.

Acidburn
07-27-2005, 10:04 PM
http://www.caraudio.com/vb/search.php?searchid=728978

seth350
07-27-2005, 10:14 PM
So I would take the accordian stuff and take one end of it and attach it to the inside of the cab and then take the other end and attach it to the inside of the bed? And then seal around the outside?

Ok I just realized something. My friend is good at welding. Could he take some metal and make a tunnel from the bed to the cab out of sheet metal? Or would the welds break?

Acidburn
07-27-2005, 10:22 PM
im pretty sure you want it to be flexible

PM Rangerman about the specifics

seth350
07-27-2005, 10:35 PM
I sent him a PM and I found out on another forum that people use truck topper seals. Its called a camper to cab boot.

loud1500
07-27-2005, 11:00 PM
i think that's the same as an accordian boot. that's what i have in my truck. just make sure that the seam is on the bottom and use lots of silicone to seal everything up. i didn't do my cut through, but make it as big as you can so you won't have to redo it later(i wish mine was cut bigger). you don't want to weld the bed and cab together, they need to flex.

iamamp3pimp
07-27-2005, 11:42 PM
interesting........my friend did this, but he just cut a small hole for the port that extends from the back of his box through the cab...

xchaosx
07-28-2005, 03:08 AM
http://papeenterprises.mediatunes.com/?OVRAW=accordian%20boot&OVKEY=accordion%20boot&OVMTC=standard

here is the boot you need it's the accordian boot..... if you have any ?'s just pm me... i did it to my 2000 s10 and NO you don't want to weld anything..... the cab and bed flex way too much that's why you need the boot so they stay separate sealed and still flex..... the link shows you how to put it on and you can order it from there....hell the hardest part is cutting the truck but if he is doing it then that's easy for you.....

seth350
07-29-2005, 03:23 AM
Thanks everyone for the help!

On to the next order of business.....
My friend wants 6 15'' L5s in it. Running off three 2000 watt master p amps.
I have no idea what master p is nor have i heard of them.

Im concerned of them all fitting and having enough leg room. Also, Im not quite sure what design to go with. Its gonna have to be show quality so this will be my chance to get out my creativity thinkin cap.
So plexiglass and neons and what not and I want to use some mirror stuff on the bottom of it. Im thinking of doing something like that XXX truck on realmofexcursion. Having the subs on either side of the truck and then have them facing each other. Like perhaps 2 on each side in the back and then put some facing the front. I attached a picture for reference.
Now should I do seperate chambers? Or 3 subs to one chamber?
I would suppose doing seperate chambers would give him better performance.
I wish WinISD had a more updated drivers list.....Id like to play around with it on there.

Anyways, any help would be appreciated on this guys. Seriously, I need all the help I can get cause I dont want to screw this up for him. Plus, if I do this right and it looks and sounds good, it will give me something to do on the side for money cause peeps will want me to build them boxes. And I could use the extra money.

Heres the box design I came up with.
Also....how much airspace do these things like? He told me he wants it really loud and I dont ever deal with sealed enclosures so Im asking yall.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y34/seth350/box.jpg

60ndown
07-29-2005, 03:30 AM
sealed=sq, ported =spl check with your client what exactly he wants and let him know what sacrifices he is makeing-otherewise when its loud and sounds like **** he might say- you didnt tell him?

seth350
07-29-2005, 04:04 AM
Well thats the thing he wants SPL but the subs will be sealed.
Im not really sure how to port something like this. Im guessing the port is the hole in the cab. So I guess it will kinda act like a bandpass sorta.

Anyone explain this to me? He wants it to be loud so quite naturally loud = spl, but all the subs will be sealed, and sealed = sq. So what do I do different?

seth350
07-29-2005, 04:50 AM
Perhaps I could port it like this?
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y34/seth350/box2.jpg

Or does the hole in the cab act as a port? The XXX truck on realm of excursion, his box aint ported and is similar to the one im wanting to build. And its pretty **** loud.

Atomic
07-29-2005, 11:17 AM
6 15's in a sealed box is quite loud anyway. I like the first one if he had it all walled out and had some lights down the center.

60ndown
07-29-2005, 11:43 AM
Well thats the thing he wants SPL but the subs will be sealed.
Im not really sure how to port something like this. Im guessing the port is the hole in the cab. So I guess it will kinda act like a bandpass sorta.

Anyone explain this to me? He wants it to be loud so quite naturally loud = spl, but all the subs will be sealed, and sealed = sq. So what do I do different?

pray you dont get a ton of port noise- or you will be ripping it all out!

saywhat?
07-29-2005, 11:57 AM
the hole in the cab and bed DOES NOT ACT AS A PORT. it is simply to allow the bass into the cab. its like having your seat folded down in a car.

Meka
07-29-2005, 12:15 PM
Just make a sealed box. 6 15's givin that you have enough power going to them should get loud sealed.

seth350
07-29-2005, 02:35 PM
Ok sealed it is then.

Hes got 3 2000W master p amps. Anyone know anything about these? Ive never heard of them.

So I guess hes going to run 2 subs to one amp. The subs are 1500W peak and 750RMS. So would 2000W be too much?

Jdizzle
08-01-2005, 08:21 AM
well we did an accuall walk thru on one of my friends nissans he had a camper shell layin around and we put an accordian boot around the top and sides and we welded a peace of sheetmetal underneath on the bottom to prevent leaking and layed carpet thru it into the bed, i wasnt there to instal the accordian boot nor do i know how to get it to stay there but i will ask and see but that is the best way because his never leaks, also.. another one of my friends did a ranger cut thru cheaply, he used a large ammount of caulk around the box and underneath and it was alright for about 6 months then the caulk started cracking and it started leaking so he just did it again oh and he put like window seal style thing around the metal and it stoped the ammount of leaking water, i hope this little ammount of info is at least a little helpful, but i'll ask my bud later today how to do the boot thing and see where he got it

seth350
08-01-2005, 02:17 PM
Thanks Jdizzle :)
Plans have changed once more after talking to him.
He wants to do 4 12'' L5s now. So now we only need 2 amps. Which I still have no idea what to tell him to get.

And he wants it to look like this...
http://fresnoracing.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=4692

He wants the mirrors and the neon and stuff, and I was going to port it as well.
I have a question tho, where can you get that mirror stuff? Lowes?

And for all of you box designers, I may be in seek of your services here soon. ;)

ruckus
08-01-2005, 03:11 PM
you dont want to do a weld through on the truck because the bed and cab are not moving together so thats the reason for flexable barrier.

Also they are not Master P amps they are P. Miller Amps which is a brand owned by the rapper Master P. He also has shoes, car rims, clothing, etc under the name.

Jdizzle
08-02-2005, 10:57 AM
i picked some mirrors up at the dollar store theyre were like 4 8inch by 8inch mirrors in a package for like 2.50

Jdizzle
08-02-2005, 11:01 AM
the guy said he got the boot off of the back hatch on a van ( no idea what hes talking about) if that helps at all and he said he glued it in place with the same sortof stuff you use on windows? couldn't halfass understand him, and he said he wouldn't advise welding under the truck because his leaked, he said just get 2 of those boots and put em in and it will not leak

seth350
08-02-2005, 12:19 PM
Boot from hatch of van??
I dont think I could put too much confidence in that. Im just going to get the accordian boot and use that to seal as much as I can and then caulk it for more seal.

Also, hes giving me $100 to go buy the materials I need and then giving me $100 for making the box.

Now all I need to do is get some measurments of his truck and talk to a box designer and see if they can help me out. I got the basic idea down of what the box will look like but as far as making it and port tuning and construction I need a lil help on. This is my first time doing something like this so expect questions from me. lol

theCybe
08-02-2005, 12:27 PM
That's way too cheap.