PDA

View Full Version : Company sent wrong speakers... WHAT TO DO?

G-unot
07-27-2005, 10:18 AM
This may not be a major problem or it could be. Just asking you guys here since I know nothing about car audio.

I recently bought Infinity Kappa speakers. 6x8's and 5x7's. I tried to order 2 5x7's since that is what my car (Contour) is meant to take. They told me they only had 1 of the 5x7's and they would send a 6x8. I was fine with that because they said they would send the same kind and everything.

They arrived today. Both are Infinity Kappa speakers. 5x7's for the front and 6x8's for the rear of my car. I read the back of the boxes. and on the box of the 5x7's it said the impendance was 4ohms and on the 6x8's 2ohms. Is this a problem and should I consider sending one of them back and getting them to send the correct one?

I had planned on amping the speakers off a 4 ch 200Watt amp. for 2ohms. I havent bought an amp yet so it is ok. But now I do not think that is possible.

What should I do?
-Will the speakers work fine at 2 different ohms without an amp?
- If I decide to buy an amp, does that mean I need to buy 2 amps now for my speakers? (2 2ch. 100W amps?)

or should I just send the speakers back and keep shopping around? (problem is I got these speakers about $90 each set and wont find that price anywheres else) They said they only had 1 of each size when they sent them. Any help would be nice. I am young/Learning and have a lot to learn as I am a car audio dumb ***.

btmorris972
07-27-2005, 10:26 AM
i would think if the amp you purchase is 2 ohm stable it should be fine

G-unot
07-27-2005, 10:28 AM
so you're saying if I bought a 4 ch and is 2ohms... it will be fine to power all of my speakers anyways?

sorry for dumb questions. I don't even know what ohms is lol.

UndercoverPunk
07-27-2005, 10:31 AM
so you're saying if I bought a 4 ch and is 2ohms... it will be fine to power all of my speakers anyways?

sorry for dumb questions. I don't even know what ohms is lol.

:eyebrow:

:wow:

yeah, you're fine

G-unot
07-27-2005, 10:38 AM
:eyebrow:

:wow:

yeah, you're fine

lol thanks. That is good to see I am fine and yeah, I know my questions are dumb. I am not even too into car audio. Always thought it was dumb until the first time I got in my friends car and his system was so loud it almost made me cry. Since then I became interested.

stones
07-27-2005, 10:44 AM
This is an Ohm-
http://www.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1044638#post1044638

Rattlebrain
07-27-2005, 10:44 AM
And here
http://www.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=67148

THUNDERBIRD
07-27-2005, 10:48 AM
u should put the 2 ohm speakers in the front beacuse the amp will push more power @ 2 ohm and then put the 4 ohm in the rear

G-unot
07-27-2005, 10:52 AM
wow, thanks for all the help guys. It is greatly appreciated. Some day I will know all this stuff! (I hope)

u should put the 2 ohm speakers in the front beacuse the amp will push more power @ 2 ohm and then put the 4 ohm in the rear
will do. Thanks for the suggestion.

G-unot
07-27-2005, 10:55 AM
and I will be buying this amp... http://www.millionbuy.com/kikkx2004.html

is this a good buy and work fine to power my speakers?

UndercoverPunk
07-27-2005, 10:59 AM
and I will be buying this amp... http://www.millionbuy.com/kikkx2004.html

is this a good buy and work fine to power my speakers?

that's your call, IMHO... no... my tweeter amp is more powerful than that;)

G-unot
07-27-2005, 11:02 AM
that's your call, IMHO... no... my tweeter amp is more powerful than that;)

lol yeah... but the speakers cannot handle too much. They're not amazingly powerful. and I think this will get enough out of them.

UndercoverPunk
07-27-2005, 11:14 AM
lol yeah... but the speakers cannot handle too much. They're not amazingly powerful. and I think this will get enough out of them.

What's their RMS?

G-unot
07-27-2005, 02:51 PM
What's their RMS?
100 Watts

canadiancav
07-28-2005, 12:20 AM
Where in Nova Scotia are you? If you're in my area I might be able to help you out with an amp.

UndercoverPunk
07-28-2005, 08:59 AM
100 Watts

As far as kicker, I'd use a 350.4 minimum.
http://www.millionbuy.com/kikkx3504.html

THUNDERBIRD
07-28-2005, 09:37 AM
thats a good deal on that amp

G-unot
07-28-2005, 02:08 PM
As far as kicker, I'd use a 350.4 minimum.
http://www.millionbuy.com/kikkx3504.html

I might just do that. But will that be putting too much power to my speakers?

Where in Nova Scotia are you? If you're in my area I might be able to help you out with an amp.
Halifax.. sorry man not too close to Sydney. I could travel towards your area if I really needed to for something. But not likely. (moving back to US soon)

I am looking to get a box made for my Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1 if anyone knows of a good place to get a box built... what do you guys suggest for a box... sealed or ported? I know on another topic there is a huge thread explaining what to use each thing for. I just have no idea what I should do. If it matters on type of music we listen to I like a lot of Texas rap (chopped/screwed and slowed down) and I also like old school rap (not always the best beats, just great for lyrics).

UndercoverPunk
07-28-2005, 02:19 PM
I might just do that. But will that be putting too much power to my speakers?

Halifax.. sorry man not too close to Sydney. I could travel towards your area if I really needed to for something. But not likely. (moving back to US soon)

I am looking to get a box made for my Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1 if anyone knows of a good place to get a box built... what do you guys suggest for a box... sealed or ported? I know on another topic there is a huge thread explaining what to use each thing for. I just have no idea what I should do. If it matters on type of music we listen to I like a lot of Texas rap (chopped/screwed and slowed down) and I also like old school rap (not always the best beats, just great for lyrics).

I didn't like my 12.1 sealed, wasn't loud enough IMO, I got another and ported them at 28hz in a 7.3 cube box (5 cube net) and the got decently loud with a really low bias.

as for the kicker, that's not too much at all, it actually should be just about perfect.

G-unot
07-28-2005, 03:08 PM
I didn't like my 12.1 sealed, wasn't loud enough IMO, I got another and ported them at 28hz in a 7.3 cube box (5 cube net) and the got decently loud with a really low bias.

as for the kicker, that's not too much at all, it actually should be just about perfect.
oh ok. Thanks again. So it looks like I'm going for a ported box and may use that amp. I'll probably be ordering them soon. Thanks a lot for all the help man.

UndercoverPunk
07-28-2005, 03:12 PM
oh ok. Thanks again. So it looks like I'm going for a ported box and may use that amp. I'll probably be ordering them soon. Thanks a lot for all the help man.

No problem, will the amp you have the IKP on have a subsonic filter?

G-unot
07-28-2005, 03:30 PM
No problem, will the amp you have the IKP on have a subsonic filter?
not sure... I do not think it does.. will that be a problem?

UndercoverPunk
07-28-2005, 04:24 PM
not sure... I do not think it does.. will that be a problem?

If you havn't gotten one yet and plan to go ported, I would highly suggest waiting to find one that does.

Raven
07-28-2005, 04:35 PM
I could have swore 5x7 and 6x8 were interchangable. On my Ford Taurus, either size will fit my rear fill.

UndercoverPunk
07-28-2005, 05:31 PM
I could have swore 5x7 and 6x8 were interchangable. On my Ford Taurus, either size will fit my rear fill.

Yeah it's just the mounting tabs that are different IIRC