PDA

View Full Version : Horns

Jtsky
07-24-2005, 10:43 PM
I have a few questions about horns. First off, if they are as good as people make them out to be, why are they so rarely used? Do they take the place of the tweeters only, or tweets and mid-ranges? How would the sq be if I had horns with mid-bass drivers in the doors?

Lets say I was going to run 450 wrms to 1 15" sub (sealed). What kind of wattage would I need to give the horns and the mid bass drivers to balance it out (assuming you dont need mid range drivers with horns, and no rear fill)?

BTW, I have, and still am searching for the answers to this stuff. It is just not all clear to me.

req
07-24-2005, 10:45 PM
mids, like 150, horns - about 35ish.

with the right pair of horns for your application, they can be used as mid\high. for instance, image dynamics CD2's and illusion audio ND(whatever they are that squeak has) can even get as low as 500hz. but play a few 500hz cycles for yourself and you will see you wont be getting any kind of midbass from that... and horns like the CD1's dont even play that low. so a midbass speaker is a definate nessicity for horns.

i think horns are great, some people dont like them, but thats usually install dependant. they are rarely used because its a pain in the *** to install them and they can be very tough to EQ without the proper equipment.

Jtsky
07-24-2005, 10:50 PM
Are they more difficult to do than making custom kicks?

What would you say is the proper equipment to eq them?

req
07-24-2005, 10:58 PM
lol

imagine a speaker thats 9" deep, 14"wide, and 3" tall. shaped like a triangle, and it has to go on your dashboard and not look retarded. they have to be parallel to the groud (as best as possible) and they need to be as far down and to the side as possible - while being as close to the dashboard as possible - then, if you want it more asthetically pleasing, you gotta make a cover for them so they dont look really stupid.

i spent two days installing my horns... and they are only half way done. :p:

its not as easy as you may think. before you go an get horns - take a look at your space under your dash, if your glovebox folds down, you have to mod that, if you have any plugs\wires\AC blowers\ plastic in the way - you have to mod that. luckily - i didnt have any of those problems :)

Jtsky
07-24-2005, 11:09 PM
I see what you mean now. Everything seems so easy until you do it. That is when you run into those little, unexpected problems. Thanks for the help.

BTW, did you edit your first post in this topic? I just went to re-read it and it seems like there is more information now.

req
07-24-2005, 11:26 PM
yea i prolly did. i do that alot :p

Jtsky
07-24-2005, 11:35 PM
I see on image dynamic's website that they have a kit with the horns, mid-bass drivers, and a cross over. Would this setup be all I would need?

squeak9798
07-24-2005, 11:39 PM
I see on image dynamic's website that they have a kit with the horns, mid-bass drivers, and a cross over. Would this setup be all I would need?

Basically; yup. An EQ would still be helpful.

That set comes with the CD1e horns, which are their entry level horns. From what I hear, with proper tuning they can sound pretty good. But the CD1-Pro's are a big step up over them.

Mr. Opportunist
07-24-2005, 11:44 PM
hmm so mounting ontop of dash is a bad idea? figured it would be easier to fit them in if i wanted to go with them looks like i may have to go the tweet route....

ss3079
07-24-2005, 11:46 PM
Trust me, you won't need to raise the stage height to the top of the dash :p:

squeak9798
07-24-2005, 11:48 PM
hmm so mounting ontop of dash is a bad idea? figured it would be easier to fit them in if i wanted to go with them looks like i may have to go the tweet route....

:nono:

You definitely do not want to mount horns on top of you dash. The output would kill you (almost literally), and they'd sound a lot harsher.

Jtsky
07-24-2005, 11:49 PM
From my reading putting them up to high can make them sound harsh or over powering. Anyone want to confirm that?

Also, in what way would the pro's be better than the 1e's?

req
07-24-2005, 11:53 PM
it should do exactally what you need. those would prolly be the CD1's

this is what im using

http://www.cardomain.com/item/IDSCX62
http://www.cardomain.com/item/IDSCD2COMP

you could get these, and buy the horn lens (the par that looks like a horn) for like $75 directly from image dynamics
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5791451860&category=14943&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1

and these would prolly match up nice, but 6.5's would be much better
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5792013111&category=14941&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1

all you would need is an active to get your frequencies right :)

squeak9798
07-24-2005, 11:55 PM
From my reading putting them up to high can make them sound harsh or over powering. Anyone want to confirm that?

See above ;)

Also, in what way would the pro's be better than the 1e's?

Everything. More efficient, better midrange, etc etc. Again, not saying the 1e's sound "bad"....it's just a nice jump up to the Pro's.

Jtsky
07-25-2005, 12:06 AM
Yeah, me and req posted at the same time.

Jtsky
07-25-2005, 12:09 AM
Is there any performance hit using the mini-horns?

squeak9798
07-25-2005, 12:14 AM
Yeah. Mini's can not use as low of a crossover frequency, for one. I believe there are some midrange differences aswell.....

canadiancav
07-25-2005, 12:19 AM
**** you guys are lucky, I have mini's and all of the AC, plug, glove box, etc. stuff to work around and I'm gonna have to do A LOT of tweaking to get them to fit up under my dash. That 5" driver doesn't help at all either.

impalafan95
07-25-2005, 12:22 AM
Well, i went to take a look today at what im going to have to do to fit the cd-3's under my dash. Its gonna be a real pita, we're going to have some custom brackets made to install them. i wish they werent so **** big. the horn isnt the problem its that the driver is rediculous.

req
07-25-2005, 12:42 AM
yea. the drivers for my CD2's are like 5" diamater, and like 3" deep they were as big as the motor for my 8" koda midbass (when i had them)

see?

http://img331.imageshack.us/img331/4109/77en.jpg

yes. those are my feet.

canadiancav
07-25-2005, 12:59 AM
Ah hell since we're sharing. That's a 15" Avalanche for reference.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/4446/hornsava8tn.png