PDA

View Full Version : DIY 400 watt comps

Tbird006TheKing
07-24-2005, 10:16 PM
I know that wiring speakers in parallel both speakers will play the same but is it the same side (Left or right) or is it they will play both sides?

Also do I need 2 crossovers? (probobaly a stupid Q) :blush:

How do I know how much power is going to each speaker if I hook the amp to the crossover? because If i send 400 watts I know that my Midbass and Midrange will be able to handle it but not the tweeters

Just encase you ask

Peerless 8" Midbass
Peerless 5.25" Midrange
Still looking for 100 watt tweets

OlogyAudio
07-24-2005, 10:33 PM
I would assume that you are going active?

Tbird006TheKing
07-24-2005, 11:09 PM
I was thinking Of active but I'm not sure If I got it right

Passive
Get 3 way crossovers and hook up my speakers to the xover and hook up my xovers to a 400x2 amp? with this how will I know how much power each speaker is getting>

Active
Run the tweeters the amp crossover at 50x2
Hook the Midbass and Midrange to a 150x4 amp and run the HU crossover

Are these right?

OlogyAudio
07-24-2005, 11:34 PM
I was thinking Of active but I'm not sure If I got it right

Passive
Get 3 way crossovers and hook up my speakers to the xover and hook up my xovers to a 400x2 amp? with this how will I know how much power each speaker is getting>

Active
Run the tweeters the amp crossover at 50x2
Hook the Midbass and Midrange to a 150x4 amp and run the HU crossover

Are these right?

That is correct for the active -- for passive you need a xover designed specificly for the drivers for it to work properly...

You will want a 30 band+ eq for each speaker ideally for an active setup -- or an adjustable q xover works alright too if you know what you are doing...

as for a passive you would need to get one designed for ya -- are you stuck on the peerless -- and what is your budget btw?

flakko
07-24-2005, 11:35 PM
Still looking for 100 watt tweets

EHHHHH? is there such a thing?

boister77
07-24-2005, 11:58 PM
this should easily handle 100wrms....hehehehehe

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=294-415

OlogyAudio
07-25-2005, 12:29 AM
this should easily handle 100wrms....hehehehehe

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=294-415

Are you sure? haha

Tbird006TheKing
07-25-2005, 02:34 AM
Where can I get crossovers deisgned?
How much do they cost?

OlogyAudio
07-25-2005, 01:55 PM
Check your PM box :)

audiolife
07-25-2005, 06:06 PM
why would you need a 30 band for each speaker? a tweet wont use anything at all below 2.5k (depending on the tweeter freq) and the mid wont need 20 hz -60 hz......

3.5Max6spd
07-25-2005, 06:20 PM
You will want a 30 band+ eq for each speaker ideally for an active setup --

i think you mean for each side....

OlogyAudio
07-25-2005, 06:59 PM
Each side at a minimum...ideally you will want to correct for each individual driver's response... if you can get a 10band EQ that is specific for the frequencies that the single driver is being used for that would be ideal but I've never seen one in the car world... Ideally you would design your own fixed active filter... look at linkwitz's work... in the home audio world but the same applies here :) http://www.linkwitzlab.com/

A good custom active filter (or a *ton* of EQ) > a good custom passive filter.... but a properly designed passive filter > a run of the mill active filter... there are pros and cons about both... but when you can controll the transfer function of EACH driver independently with your active setup... the passive no longer has much of an edge on the active.... and there are tons of good features that you get with no appreciable ESR between the amp and the driver... not to mention you get a ton of quality headroom!

audiolife
07-25-2005, 07:03 PM
ahh so you suggested that at at or around the crossover points and 1 spot over and under the x over slope thing is i never seen a set up with more than 4 eqs usually 3 to cheat on rta lol

OlogyAudio
07-25-2005, 09:03 PM
ahh so you suggested that at at or around the crossover points and 1 spot over and under the x over slope thing is i never seen a set up with more than 4 eqs usually 3 to cheat on rta lol

Yea the idea here is mainly to be able to adjust the transfer function for each driver where the xover points are more than anything... Time/phase adjustment for each driver would be nice as well but I havne't seen an active adjustment for the car yet... kind of odd...

People don't do this because.... they aren't crazy or just don't know what is actually going on... you have to be RLY into your sound quality to care this much though... talk about diminishing returns

ngsm13
07-25-2005, 09:29 PM
Contact Madisound for custom passives. All you need to do is send them one side of your setup (Midbass, Midrange, Tweet) and they'll do all the testing and make the xovers for you. Later....

NG

OlogyAudio
07-25-2005, 09:45 PM
Contact Madisound for custom passives. All you need to do is send them one side of your setup (Midbass, Midrange, Tweet) and they'll do all the testing and make the xovers for you. Later....

NG

I know they have this service but how much do they charge -- I always thought they did xover design for companies and it wasn't cheap... anyone have a ballpark figure on their service?

squeak9798
07-25-2005, 10:37 PM
I know they have this service but how much do they charge -- I always thought they did xover design for companies and it wasn't cheap... anyone have a ballpark figure on their service?

Last I heard was around $80-$100 (obviously depending on how complicated the design was). Don't quote me.....but that's probably "ballpark" :p:

OlogyAudio
07-25-2005, 11:03 PM
Last I heard was around $80-$100 (obviously depending on how complicated the design was). Don't quote me.....but that's probably "ballpark" :p:

Thats not too shabby for measurements and a xover (parts and assembled too???)-- I sent them an email to check it out btw... mainly for measurements to confirm that my measurement setup is accurate :)

OlogyAudio
07-26-2005, 07:43 PM
Thats not too shabby for measurements and a xover (parts and assembled too???)-- I sent them an email to check it out btw... mainly for measurements to confirm that my measurement setup is accurate :)

Well I just asked them how much they charged for driver measurement and they don't offer that so... it appears theyll use mfr data where available or simply use a textbook filter??? anyone know diffrently?

ngsm13
07-27-2005, 12:13 PM
Well I just asked them how much they charged for driver measurement and they don't offer that so... it appears theyll use mfr data where available or simply use a textbook filter??? anyone know diffrently?

Did you talk to them on the phone?

They won't tell you so on email. Ask for they're lead designer/engineer on the phone, and he'll tell you. I got straight answers from him, and they were gonna measure and make custom passives for me a few months back....

NG