PDA

View Full Version : Punch or Kicker?

ddumb8
07-24-2005, 12:18 PM
Hey all. I am about to upgrade the factory speakers in my 2000 Nissan Frontier extended cab truck. I have a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X589 head unit and I want to add a set of component speakers. I have never had component speakers before, so I don't know a whole lot about them. I looked at a set of Punch P162S for $199.00 and they sound very good to me but afriend of mine said that I could get a set of KICKER KS65.2 for about $100.00 off of Ebay but I have never heard them and was wandering if anybody knows anything about them or have any recommendations on a set of 6.5" components for less than $300.00. Also, does anybody have any suggestions on bass for my truck without taking to much space, I was thinking of Kenwoods KSC-SW1 powered sub . Any help would be great.

cpierce
07-24-2005, 12:22 PM
Punch? If you liked the way the sounded then get them. For $300 there is a lot of good stuff out there. Best advice I can give you is to go listen to some speakers at a local audio store or circuit city, best buy etc...

OlogyAudio
07-24-2005, 07:32 PM
Well.... if you like the punch the kickers are simmilar -- the punch is a little better though... do you think you can fit a 7-1/8" diamater flange and a 5-3/4" diamater hole in the stock locations? also are you powering these off the head unit or are you getting an amp for them?

ddumb8
07-24-2005, 07:49 PM
According to crutchfield they both will fit. I am going to amp them, but I havent made up my mind about which amp, I am leaning towards a Sony XM-4060GTX 4 x 60 because you can push the 2 components with 60 watts and bridge the rear sub with 150 watts.

OlogyAudio
07-24-2005, 08:02 PM
I've always had horrible luck with sony products... so I've avoided them at all costs personally.

Those dimensions that I asked if you could fit or not -- belongs to a diffrent component set and you would need to look at your speaker locations to make sure they would fit in order to have them as a consideration... http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-364 is the raw driver in question.

If nothing else you should look at CDT cl 61a -- its a good value for the money...

ddumb8
07-24-2005, 10:28 PM
I havent had my door apart yet so i'm not sure if those drivers will fit. All I know is they will take a 6.75 dia. with a 3" depth. The amp looked really interesting, but it is more than I want to spend. This is a truck i'm going to be using for work and I want to make it sound better without spending to much.

OlogyAudio
07-24-2005, 10:58 PM
well if ya get a chance check out how it is inside the doors... your truck is limited to 3" of depth but that driver in particular is less than that deep when you remove the bucking cup and bucking magnet. the only question is the mounting flange. that dayton RS midbass is about the same quality as the midbass that is used in the $2000/set rainbow platinum components... if you want some more info just send me a PM or AIM OlogyAudio

6three6mafia6
07-25-2005, 02:13 AM
hey ddbumb avoud sony products, kenwood also, if you are wanting to spend
300$ you can get some REALLY good stuff other wise youre going to have to buy new things in the future, do it once , do it right.

ddumb8
07-25-2005, 09:07 AM
I will take my door panel off today and check to see if they fit. What about a set of Alpine SPR-17LS 6-1/2" Type-R components? Allso, if not a Sony or Kenwood amp, What 4 channel amp would you reccomend for around $200.00 ?

OlogyAudio
07-25-2005, 02:18 PM
I will take my door panel off today and check to see if they fit. What about a set of Alpine SPR-17LS 6-1/2" Type-R components? Allso, if not a Sony or Kenwood amp, What 4 channel amp would you reccomend for around $200.00 ?

Pretty much any component set you will find in a circuit city or best buy is no good... :)
Think CDT, Rainbow, Diamond hex (or d9/d6), DLS...... or better than anything else in your price range would be using those 7" drivers I listed above...

FOSGATE JOE
07-25-2005, 03:08 PM
[QUOTE=OlogyAudio]Pretty much any component set you will find in a circuit city or best buy is no good... :)
/QUOTE]
uh so not true^^for components c.c is a good place to go got my set there and in 2 weeks i fryed my tweeters :crap: so i got a new ones for free most shops and ebay would just say it was human err and say sorry can't help you :mad: p.s go with the puch ;)

OlogyAudio
07-25-2005, 03:15 PM
[QUOTE=OlogyAudio]Pretty much any component set you will find in a circuit city or best buy is no good... :)
/QUOTE]
uh so not true^^for components c.c is a good place to go got my set there and in 2 weeks i fryed my tweeters :crap: so i got a new ones for free most shops and ebay would just say it was human err and say sorry can't help you :mad: p.s go with the puch ;)

I was just talking about the product quality :) -- Alpine type R comps are OK -- Circuit City >> Best Buy IMHO -- I've had nothing but horrible luck with best buy... I have a hunch they carry B stock equipment or something -- of everything I have ever gotten there nothing has worked properly...

XtrmAudioCncpts
07-25-2005, 03:17 PM
For 300 there is a lot of stuff you could get CDTs or Boston Acoustics are right ther in that price range I would look at those if I were you