PDA

View Full Version : How do i test my pre-outs?

fatryan
07-22-2005, 05:25 PM
Ive come to the conclusion that i have bad pre-outs. how do i go about checking them with a DMM to confirm this?

Slaugh
07-22-2005, 05:51 PM
lol

my alpine 9815 has also very weak pre-outs :(

SSS 18734
07-22-2005, 05:52 PM
lol

my alpine 9815 has also very weak pre-outs :(

:eyebrow: he has a pioneer...

Slaugh
07-22-2005, 05:58 PM
:eyebrow: he has a pioneer...
i know... im surprised Pioneers also have problems with low voltage preouts (im assuming thats his problem anyway)

i tried once getting the answer on how to test the pre-out voltage but i never got the answer too... nevertheless i got a multimeter and just connected it to the sub pre-out on level +15 (0db) and volume +35 and i got +5v... but i didnt use any resistances or anything...

do i need a resistance or anything?

fatryan
07-22-2005, 06:23 PM
i dont have weak pre-outs, i think i have BAD preouts. cause my right-front comp keeps cutting in and out. it doesnt decrease in volume, it just completely cuts out. and ive replaced my rca's 3 times!

but anyways, i spoke with jack frost over AIM, and he told me what to do. i used a 1khz test tone and turned my volume up to like 45 (the highest ill go). the DMM read something like .9xx V on the left front preout. but when i checked the right-front preout, it read the same. so i plug the rca back in, and the comp isnt working still. then i turn the volume up to like 50, and the comp starts playing all of a sudden. WTF is going on?

fatryan
07-23-2005, 04:45 PM
Broken RCA cables, perhaps ?
if so, then i should just quit, sell all my car audio, and move to fargo, ND, cause ive replaced the cables 3 TIMES!!!!!!!!

Justshoe
07-23-2005, 05:01 PM
Wiring to your comp ok? nothin loose intermittently connecting and such?

Prowler573
07-23-2005, 05:02 PM
Ryan,

I remember a previous thread of yours about this same issue. I'm too lazy to look for it to see if this ? is already answered so I'll ask here:

Have you eliminated the possibility that it could be bad inputs on your comp amp? Or a short in the wire from the amp to the right side components? If you've checked the head unit outputs (I don't know what they should be so I don't know if the results you posted above are good or bad) and replaced the interconnects multiple times it would be my guess that your problem lies elsewhere.

TeenWolf
07-23-2005, 05:20 PM
Get a tech to perform a test on the pre-outs.

6three6mafia6
07-23-2005, 05:36 PM
i got the similar problem, one of the preouts in my clarion HU is messed up, it plays at like 10% of the volume the other 3 do, so pretty much it gives no sound to ONE of my speakers, and i checked EVERY other possible variable and i the last thing i tried was the pre out in my HU.

fatryan
07-24-2005, 01:38 AM
Wiring to your comp ok? nothin loose intermittently connecting and such?
yes, because if i switch the L and R rcas, the "cutting out" switches to the other comp

fatryan
07-24-2005, 01:40 AM
Ryan,

I remember a previous thread of yours about this same issue. I'm too lazy to look for it to see if this ? is already answered so I'll ask here:

Have you eliminated the possibility that it could be bad inputs on your comp amp? Or a short in the wire from the amp to the right side components? If you've checked the head unit outputs (I don't know what they should be so I don't know if the results you posted above are good or bad) and replaced the interconnects multiple times it would be my guess that your problem lies elsewhere.
the only thing i havent checked is the inputs on the amp. and im still not sure if its the HUs preouts or not cause....what if they were working fine when i tested them. you know?

SSS 18734
07-24-2005, 01:47 AM
I would get another source to check the amp inputs, say a home stereo reciever. Just plug it into your amp and if you have the same problem, you know its the amp. If not, its your HU.

fatryan
07-24-2005, 10:49 PM
can bad pre-outs cause noise to come from speakers? cause when i accelerate i here a whine from my right -front comp. as i increase acceleration, the whine increases.