PDA

View Full Version : Help! Error codes on Clarion HU

DJItalianICE
07-21-2005, 07:15 PM
today I got Error 3 & Error 6 after putitng in a CD. at first it froze hte player and refussed to eject the CD, so I reset power and then i ejected hte CD. But it still won't play CDs now! I'm afraid i need a new headunit unless it's something simple :mad:

Kali77
07-21-2005, 07:16 PM
Check the manual yet??

DJItalianICE
07-21-2005, 07:17 PM
Check the manual yet??
i am doing it now...

Kali77
07-21-2005, 07:19 PM
:crazy: Well I hope it something simple, and not something you have to send back in for ;)

DJItalianICE
07-21-2005, 07:21 PM
:crazy: Well I hope it something simple, and not something you have to send back in for ;)
i bought it from onlinecarstereo.com and i have a feeling they are unauthorized :uhoh:

I found out - Error 3 means disc is scratched and won't play, and Error 6 means the disc is loaded upside down (which is bullshit becaus eI know the right side up) :mad:

idk what to do

Kali77
07-21-2005, 07:23 PM
Sounds like operator error :naughty: Try a couple other cd's and see what happens.

DJItalianICE
07-21-2005, 07:26 PM
Sounds like operator error :naughty: Try a couple other cd's and see what happens.
I tried a new Jimmi Hendrix cd, Eagles cd, and a mix of my own. The first two ar nearly brand new som I'm very confused.

I'm aobut to just buy a ****in Alpine!

Pistonsfan70
07-21-2005, 07:27 PM
Good luck buddy.. I am on my 3rd Clarion HU and all 3 have been VERY GOOD to me.. first one was in my Taurus, then the car was stolen.. 2nd one came in my Bimmer and loved it... then gave to my g/f and it's still running strong.. my VRX935vd is a DREAM!!!

DJItalianICE
07-21-2005, 07:33 PM
Good luck buddy.. I am on my 3rd Clarion HU and all 3 have been VERY GOOD to me.. first one was in my Taurus, then the car was stolen.. 2nd one came in my Bimmer and loved it... then gave to my g/f and it's still running strong.. my VRX935vd is a DREAM!!!
it's an athestically and physically pleasing device, but throwing codes on me and ****... not nice :uhoh: i really have no idea what to do now.

Kali77
07-21-2005, 07:36 PM
Honestly you should have bought it from an authorized dealer. I am always skeptical of online shops like that. Younever know if the product is a refurb, b-stock, already damaged, you just never know, and have generally no kind of warranty :(

TeenWolf
07-21-2005, 07:41 PM
Pull it out and get a tech to look at it. Could be a cheap fix. Might be better off buying a new HU, but you'll never know until a diagnostic test is done on it.

Generally, when you get codes indicating that the CD is scratched/unreadable and/or disc upside down, and the CD is fine, it's usually something to do with the laser.

I had a DVD player that acted that way. Got so bad that the player starting reading DVD's as CD's. That player is now a great paper weight!

JLCivic
07-21-2005, 08:32 PM
it's an athestically and physically pleasing device, but throwing codes on me and ****... not nice :uhoh: i really have no idea what to do now.

You have no idea what to do, come on now.

Well, the first thing would be:

1) contact the company that sold it to you if it is still under some kind of warranty

2) if it is not under warranty either:

a) contact clarion to get the nearest clarion repair center and call them for an estimate

b) buy another deck

DJItalianICE
07-21-2005, 08:38 PM
You have no idea what to do, come on now.

Well, the first thing would be:

1) contact the company that sold it to you if it is still under some kind of warranty

2) if it is not under warranty either:

a) contact clarion to get the nearest clarion repair center and call them for an estimate

b) buy another deck
I'm not sure i I'd like to keep a deck that started randomly malfunctioning one day...

but ill check out a local dealer and see if they can fix it. should i gro thru the trouble of taking it out or let them do it?

JLCivic
07-21-2005, 08:42 PM
I'm not sure i I'd like to keep a deck that started randomly malfunctioning one day...

but ill check out a local dealer and see if they can fix it. should i gro thru the trouble of taking it out or let them do it?

I seriously doubt a local dealer will fix it. It would be sent to a repair center(www.unitedradio.com is a great service center....I think they cover clarion).

FYI, over the years, from what the local shop has seen, IF a clarion had an issue, it was usually error 3 or error 6. I think your laser is either misaligned or is crapping out.

stones
07-21-2005, 08:42 PM
I cant believe anybody didn't mention this.

Try cleaning the laser lens with one of those cleaning disks, it could just be a dusty laser lense.

JLCivic
07-21-2005, 08:44 PM

Try cleaning the laser lens with one of those cleaning disks, it could just be a dusty laser lense.

I suppose it "could" be, but unfortunately, I seriously doubt it. I think it needs a little work.

DJItalianICE
07-21-2005, 08:44 PM
I seriously doubt a local dealer will fix it. It would be sent to a repair center(www.unitedradio.com is a great service center....I think they cover clarion).

FYI, over the years, from what the local shop has seen, IF a clarion had an issue, it was usually error 3 or error 6. I think your laser is either misaligned or is crapping out.
How would that generally happen though? J/w. it crapped out on me in the middle of a song.

It hangs on FILE READ when I insert a CD then flashes the error code.

maybe the lens is just dusty?

DJItalianICE
07-21-2005, 08:47 PM
I suppose it "could" be, but unfortunately, I seriously doubt it. I think it needs a little work.
Is it worth it to just get a Brand New head unit? I'd really like an Eclipse but the local dealer is quite far away. I could settle for a cheaper Alpine though. I just want my music back! I jsut put hte system in two days ago and now this **** happens.

JLCivic
07-21-2005, 08:48 PM
How would that generally happen though? J/w. it crapped out on me in the middle of a song.

It hangs on FILE READ when I insert a CD then flashes the error code.

maybe the lens is just dusty?

It is a piece of electronics. Things crap out all the time. As mentioned, you can try a cd lens cleaner. At this point, it can't hurt anything. Other than that, I suggest contacting united radio and getting an estimate. I ran an 835mp for a few months. Overall, it was a good deck.

JLCivic
07-21-2005, 08:50 PM
Is it worth it to just get a Brand New head unit? I'd really like an Eclipse but the local dealer is quite far away. I could settle for a cheaper Alpine though. I just want my music back! I jsut put hte system in two days ago and now this **** happens.

Only you can say whether buying a new deck is worth it, especially if you could get your deck repaired for maybe $80 or so.

IF you buy a new deck, I do strongly recommend Eclipse(having ran them for a decade). Until I bought the 8250, they were the best sounding decks I had used.

smgreen20
07-24-2005, 02:48 AM

I can't speak for other brands, but clarion I can. DON'T EVER use a lens cleaner disc on the clarion HUs. I did and it was a $160.00 mistake. Nothing wrong w/my HU, but after spending $550.00 on a new HU back in 96 I wanted to take absolute perfect care of it. Put it in, cleaned the lens, and it wouldn't play a disc after that. Sent it to clarion and the lens was scratched to hell.