PDA

View Full Version : Really Loud Speakers

Decado
07-21-2005, 02:02 AM
Where can i find speakers/amplifiers/processors that they use at concerts and dj's use and stuff, i want something really loud that i can really crank heavy metal in, something that will **** off the entire neighborhood. Anyone got ideas?

creater
07-21-2005, 02:53 AM
check PE mang...they got exactly what you need...get some JBL's...

AndyB
07-21-2005, 02:56 AM
^^ yea, PE has some really nice jbl loud speakers.

creater
07-21-2005, 03:04 AM
eminence and selenium got some powerful stuff mang...
for amps get a QSC, a Crown or a Peavy...these amps give it all
i've heard mostly Ashley processors and many different EQ's...but for a great processor get an Ashley or I've heard that Behringer was good...

mix a QSC or Crown with an Ashley with some great speakers from JBL or Eminence or so and the people in your street would wanna move out of the block

zachzchw
07-21-2005, 03:05 AM
Buy something cheap, that way you have money to pay the noise ordinance tickets you will (deservedly) get from "pissing off the neighborhood." :rolleyes:

creater
07-21-2005, 03:19 AM
word of advise...the equipment i gave can cause structural damage when places inside of buildings....:)

flakko
07-21-2005, 03:23 AM
word of advise...the equipment i gave can cause structural damage when places inside of buildings....:)
hahahha for some reason i laughed out loud for that

skeptikal
07-21-2005, 03:24 AM
I know peavy made some pretty good stuff, had a couple of their older guitar amps (haven't seen anything new tho lately).

creater
07-21-2005, 03:33 AM
hahahha for some reason i laughed out loud for that

i was laughing as i typed it mang :crazy:

Decado
07-21-2005, 03:33 AM
Alright, thx for all the help guys. One more thing, where can i find these products? Are there any good websites?

creater
07-21-2005, 03:34 AM
peavy makes great products mang...

creater
07-21-2005, 03:35 AM
pe...

http://www.partsexpress.com

myvanpounds
07-21-2005, 03:40 AM
if you'r gonna **** off the neighbors you might as well do it right, get about 16 2-18 cabs and 16 2000watt QSC powerlight2 amps, now that you got the low end taken care of you gonna need a nice arial line array

Decado
07-21-2005, 03:50 AM
So are these JBL Eon speakers good stuff?

myvanpounds
07-21-2005, 04:08 AM
nope you need a full 3 way line array to get loud enuff to **** of the neighbors

Decado
07-21-2005, 04:09 AM
Lmao.

myvanpounds
07-21-2005, 04:15 AM
I'm sure you could rig something up to hang it from your roof

Decado
07-21-2005, 04:16 AM
Lol. Anyways, how does this look for a system (seriously now myvan, lol). Also keep in mind that i am not rich when looking at this system.

Speakers:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=248-823

Amp:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=248-801

Processor:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=245-206&ctab=2#Tabs

myvanpounds
07-21-2005, 04:20 AM
your gonna need a board, crossover, sub, gate/limiter c'mon now

Decado
07-21-2005, 04:22 AM
Hey, i'm a noob, i dont know this stuff. BTW, what is a gate/limiter, and isnt the crossover built into the speaker?

PV Audio
07-21-2005, 12:20 PM
if you'r gonna **** off the neighbors you might as well do it right, get about 16 2-18 cabs and 16 2000watt QSC powerlight2 amps, now that you got the low end taken care of you gonna need a nice arial line array
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

thylantyr
07-21-2005, 01:08 PM
Hey, i'm a noob, i dont know this stuff. BTW, what is a gate/limiter, and isnt the crossover built into the speaker?

Assuming DIY is not an option therefore I wouldn't spend big bucks on a
PA system except for the amplifier as there is no SQ issues with proamps vs. home amps.

Look for a QSC RMX 2450 amplifier on Ebay, I got one recently for $400 used,
new they run $600 {perhaps less if you look hard}. 2400w is nice for that price.
Don't worry about sound quality issues, I use this to drive a home speaker
array, it has high SQ. Crown is cool but you can get more power for the money with the QSC.

Get some big azz loudspeakers like the ones suggested, something with a big
horn tweeter and 15" woofer or better yet, dual 15" with a giant horn. A pair of
those is nice.

The problem with driving pro audio with home audio sources is the home audio
world voltage levels are about 5x lower so your source music player may not drive the amp to full power, it depends. You can turn up the gains all the way on
the amp and see how it goes. If you do need a preamp, this one is hard to beat
for about $120.

http://www.behringer.com/T1953/index.cfm?lang=ENG

You can take your lower level voltage source and boost it to proamp levels
to drive the amp. This is an opamp based preamp with a stupid tube stage
where they offer a dial to boost distortion to give you that silly tube
sound :uhoh: , this unit has a love hate relationship amongst the proaudio
community because it lacks in warmth -- no duh, it's a hybrid preamp.. That is a
good sign as it implies it's neutral in sound and the tube stage is not distorting
as much as people like :laugh:

I guess I'm biased, I don't like my sources and amps to add coloration, I'd rather
let the speakers and system tuning to determine the SQ of the
system. /whatever

Cheap source -> cheap preamp -> proamp -> cheap PA speakers.

Simple.

If you have DIY skills and a fat budget a DIY line array would give you very clean
death metal sound at very high SPL. Death metal sound reproduction is
something I like to do and think about alot :yumyum:

JimJ
07-21-2005, 02:15 PM
I'll let some of that slide...:)

thylantyr
07-21-2005, 02:51 PM
Tube :swordfigh solid state

creater
07-21-2005, 03:07 PM
love the EQ in that link...nice peavey amp...aint feeling the speaker system though...why dont you buy speakers and build the box yourself...get 2 18" woofers...it'll have your neighbours goin crazy...i feel bad for those people in Minneapolis...well what ever part of it that you're from

Decado
07-21-2005, 04:08 PM
Well, first off with the speakers, i dont know a **** thing about buildin a box or how to hook it all up inside so i think i'll just buy premade. And second, can someone tell me everything that i will need to have a running prosound system (just units, dont worry about cords and stuff).

JimJ
07-21-2005, 04:14 PM
And second, can someone tell me everything that i will need to have a running prosound system (just units, dont worry about cords and stuff).

You didn't read thylantyr's post? He pretty much spelled it out what you need...

Decado
07-21-2005, 04:54 PM
So, preamp, amp, and speakers? And do i need some kind of special cd player to hook up this stuff?

JimJ
07-21-2005, 06:18 PM
Nope...

Decado
07-21-2005, 06:30 PM
Uhh, nope what? No i dont need a special cd player or i got the things i need wrong? If i dont need a special cd player how do i hook it up to the preamp, there's no red and white connections on it.

Tirefryr
07-21-2005, 06:33 PM
Buy a small dog that never quits barking. That will **** them off.

Decado
07-21-2005, 06:34 PM
Lol, i dont want this system just to **** the neighbors off i just want a good loud system that will **** them off.

Tirefryr
07-21-2005, 06:35 PM
Lol, i dont want this system just to **** the neighbors off i just want a good loud system that will **** them off.
:uhoh:

JimJ
07-21-2005, 06:50 PM
Do you mean there are no RCA connections on pro audio gear? Of course not :D They use 1/4" TRS (tip-ring-sleeve) connections, mostly, or XLR connectors for the balanced connections. You can always buy adapters to go between the two. I needed to buy some adapters to hook my DBX 215 EQ up to my NAD 3020 integrated amp... You don't need a special CD source, that's the whole point of an additional preamp.

Honestly, I've never figured out (my own personal audio rant follows) the need for huge amounts of power at home. I'm not just talking about tubes, but using lower amounts of power from solid state amps (like 80w-100w unclipped) to high efficiency speakers, like a line array or horns, makes a lot more sense to me. Going from 85-6dB/W to the mid '90s will make a light and day difference in output level. Plus, speakers are cheaper to build than buying more equipment in front of them :)

Decado
07-21-2005, 07:14 PM
Well, i have no idea how to build speaker cabinets, thats the whole problem, unless i could get someone to teach me how.

thylantyr
07-21-2005, 07:50 PM
Honestly, I've never figured out (my own personal audio rant follows) the need for huge amounts of power at home.

Like... muscle car builders putting 1000 horses under the hood. :veryhapp:

Smooth ride or laying smoke down the neighborhood :D

creater
07-21-2005, 09:26 PM
speaker cabinets are fairly easy to make...with the cabinets the horns and woofers may go into the same box or separated...i have my woofers separated and horns aren't in any box...
speakers going into your home setup are also sensitive to box sizing to an extent also...a speaker can go into one box and out perform a more powerful woofer in a different box etc etc...just make a large vented box and you're good for the woofers...personally, vented for home setup for me, aint like a sealed home box although i've seen it...vented is just better...the horns can be placed into something separate or just placed on top of the woofer boxes

Decado
07-25-2005, 06:25 PM
Ok, thx for the help, sorry for the late reply, was gone all weekend. But in a home system wouldnt i want a tweeter and a mid though? Or are you talking prosound speakers?