PDA

View Full Version : Just curious on something, please give input

marley1
07-20-2005, 07:47 PM
Hey guys -

Ive been wondering some things about difference between coax and components.

Now i know, proper install components rock, but for someone like me, i didn't seal the doors, or test tweeter location.

I have a 99 Grand Cherokee, front doors are 6x9 and rear doors are 6.5s. I've been thinking of downgrading to save up some money from school, and thinking of just getting rid of the components i have and go to a decently priced coax front and rear(already have rear coax they sound fine).

I was thinking of just putting a quality 6x9 in the front door, something like Pioneer Rev or Alpine Type R and in the rear door just matching it with its 6.5 counterpart.

Now i read all the debates, and coaxials give the best on axis response since the tweet is right on the mid, so my guestion is how big of a sound difference with running a 6x9 up front be?

I figure it will be more midbass(since 6x9 genearlly do that) and just be louder, since most 6x9s have a higher sensitivity.

Any input?

JimJ
07-20-2005, 07:53 PM
Put a quality speaker in there, and run them off a good amplifier...don't rely on head unit power.

Switching to proper amplification will make a night and day difference - trust me. It did for me.

albarran9
07-20-2005, 08:58 PM
:word: :word:

TeenWolf
07-20-2005, 09:20 PM
A good set of coax and a quality amp will sound great. That's what I have in my car and I have no complaints.

marley1
07-20-2005, 10:14 PM
well i have amp forgot to mention.

have 75x4 from a Next 5 channel.

just curious as to going from 6.5 components to a 6x9 coaxial up front how much will i loose.

but from what i reading, having tweeter bouncing off glass causes a good amount of problems, where a coax will be great on axis.

marley1
07-21-2005, 05:44 PM
any more opinions??

Tirefryr
07-21-2005, 05:51 PM
well i have amp forgot to mention.

have 75x4 from a Next 5 channel.

just curious as to going from 6.5 components to a 6x9 coaxial up front how much will i loose.

but from what i reading, having tweeter bouncing off glass causes a good amount of problems, where a coax will be great on axis.

The standard door application will be severly off-axis without modification. Stick with the components, get a good amp like Jim said, then work on imaging.

marley1
07-21-2005, 06:01 PM
i have components now, i just dont have the time or skill to do imaging, and then correct(building pods and such).

i dont care about competing or any of that stuff, just want the system to be clear, and loud.

i have some older jbl 6x9, maybe ill just move up the front seat all the way and get them close to where the speaker hole is and then just listen, if i like it maybe i could downgrade to get some money.