PDA

View Full Version : Coaxial direction

Ceezer
07-20-2005, 02:40 PM
When I replaced the 6.5s in my doors, the original factory speakers were angled down towards the floor/firewall, so when I put the replacements in, I figured there was a reason for it and put them in at the same angle. Is there a reason, or did someone just goof? Should I turn them around so they're angled towards the seats?

JimJ
07-20-2005, 02:41 PM
Aim them so the tweeter is facing you, or as close to it as you can get...

Ceezer
07-20-2005, 02:48 PM
Ok, thank you. They're Pioneer 4-ways right now, but thinking about replacing them with a component set. If I do, should I point the 6.5 mid towards me, too, and then mount the tweeter somewhere directed at me?

JimJ
07-20-2005, 02:50 PM
The mids are less sensitive to off-axis response than the tweets are...but generally, you want the sound to appear to come at you from a single, "point" source.

Ceezer
07-20-2005, 03:07 PM
So if I did go with components, I should try to mount the tweeter as close to the mid as possible, so the sound is coming from the same direction?

JimJ
07-20-2005, 03:10 PM
If you could...a lot of people mount tweets in sail pods on the A pillar because it's where their stock ones were, or they get better imaging that way. It all depends on your specific install.

Some components (like Boston's Z6's and some CDT's, among others) have brackets to mount the tweet right in front of the mid, so they function exactly like coaxials - except with external crossovers.

Ceezer
07-20-2005, 03:24 PM
Function like coaxials? Is there much of a reason to change from coaxials to components, then? If what I have is fine, I'd rather save the money for something else.

Sorry for all the questions

rideac1
07-20-2005, 03:31 PM
Coax's do not have external crossovers, the components do even if you can assemble them together like a coax, if the stock position is a good one

stones
07-20-2005, 03:33 PM
The nice thing about coaxials is that they are engineered with to have the best off axis response as possible and be able to work without proper enclosures.
This is because 90% of the public just uses crappy factory locations.
The high dollar component sets are meant more for custom installs with proper angles and enclosures.
If you have the time and money the components will sound best, but if you are working with regular factory locations a coaxial speaker will work better.

Ceezer
07-20-2005, 03:40 PM
I don't have anywhere to put kick panels. I only have about 6" between the pedals and the factory panel, and it's pretty small to begin with. So I should probably stick with these coaxials for now, and then maybe think about making some custom door panels, or something, later on?

tRiGgEr
07-20-2005, 03:55 PM
You can still put a component set in the stock location. It will more than likelly sound better than a coaxil speaker...

stones
07-20-2005, 03:58 PM
Improperly installed components sound like ****, no way around it.
They have the potential to sound way better then coaxials when properly set up though.

Ceezer
07-20-2005, 04:00 PM
I think I'll just put an amp to these, for now, and I can save a little bit and will know what I want to buy when it's time to replace them. Plus I would have a better idea of how much an improvement comps would be over coaxials, once I've heard these with some power through them.

I've got enough to spend for now, with materials, subs, amps, etc.

I guess while I have your attention (and I greatly appreciate it), I'll ask about an amp for these. They're Pioneer 6.5s (model # escapes me at the moment), and I think they RMS at 50W. Should I go with a 50x2 channel amp? I had my sights on the Phoenix Gold Xenon line, but don't think I've seen one that small.

tRiGgEr
07-20-2005, 04:07 PM
Yes you will want an amp with around 30-70 watts RMS. Try to match the rating on your speakers.

http://ikesound.com/product-product_id/3389

Even this is a good match. You would just need to set the gain properly and it would be great.

Ceezer
07-20-2005, 04:15 PM
It's ok if the amp has a higher power rating than the speakers RMS at, as long as I keep the gain down? I wouldn't want to underpower them, though, would I (less than 50W)?

Ceezer
07-20-2005, 04:20 PM
How about this PPI?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5790045129&category=18796&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1

tRiGgEr
07-20-2005, 04:21 PM
That would be a good choice. Very solid company also.