PDA

View Full Version : Head unit + in-dash EQ question/help

Xtra
07-19-2005, 11:28 PM
I just got a Excelon x789. It apparently has a built in 4 band EQ for fronts, rears and a sub. For the past 5 years or so i've ran a Kenwood 4042a in dash EQ (http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/lifestyle/2000/h1134042A.jpeg) along with my HUs for more of a convenience thing than anything else. I like the ability to adjust the sub on the fly.

Now my question is, would running this EQ in my new setup be a bottleneck? Will it negate the 5v preouts on the HU? Am I sacrificing anything by using it with the new HU?

Thanks in advance.

djbass_mekanik
08-10-2005, 02:39 AM
i have also been using an eq with my deck, an alpine, but only because it has a 2 band eq, but if u are just runing ur deck and amps, with no other processors, wounldnt do u any harm usin ur eq...

adam71
08-10-2005, 06:44 AM
Well, what is the pre out voltage rating of your eq?? If that is rated at 2 volts or something like that then 2 volts is all your amps will see. A deck with a higher voltage preout cannot change the voltage level of the eq, just doesn't work that way. Not to mention you need to make sure your eq will accept the higer voltage your deck puts out.

Xtra
08-10-2005, 02:29 PM
Just a guess but I doubt the pre-out voltage on the EQ is anything higher than 2-3. I ran my old 5v pre deck to the same EQ with no apparent problems.

I'm just wondering would SQ (or anything else) be noticeably affected running via the EQ vs w/o and if so in what way.

adam71
08-10-2005, 02:57 PM
Just a guess but I doubt the pre-out voltage on the EQ is anything higher than 2-3. I ran my old 5v pre deck to the same EQ with no apparent problems.

I'm just wondering would SQ (or anything else) be noticeably affected running via the EQ vs w/o and if so in what way.

If I were you I would try it both ways and see which way sounds better to you. THat is the only way to find out for sure.

The changes would probably be the following.

- higher preout voltage which would give you a higher noise floor since you would be able to turn your amp gains down

- if your s/n ratio on the eq was not very good then that would be a good thing to remove from the system

- last but not least........you would be removing a component from the signal chain and that is almost always a good thing

Xtra
08-10-2005, 03:02 PM
I hate logical answers when i'm looking to have my handheld :wallbash:

adam71
08-10-2005, 03:03 PM
I hate logical answers when i'm looking to have my handheld :wallbash:

Read the edited post again