PDA

View Full Version : cd text question

Silver
07-19-2005, 02:16 AM
:crap:

i just installed my clarion. I abs. love it!. I was wondering how to display text.

I understand the CD's have to have the CD text option.

But for burning cd's?, I was reading my clarion manual and it said to display songs on a burnt disc 's there needs to be a .m3u file?

I was wondering where I could fine this. Also, i have itunes (what I use for burning.) I was looking in the options and saw that I can import .m3u's. Would it work that way?

flakko
07-19-2005, 02:19 AM
i use nero and label the songs in the burning ROM.

all that usable trunk space....

supa_c
I know that nero has CD text.
its an option you choose

supa_c
dangit..to slow

Silver
07-19-2005, 02:23 AM
Alright I was looking thru itunes again. It has an option where I can convert ID3 tags. I picked v2.3. Next time I burn a CD will it display?

flakko
07-19-2005, 02:28 AM
if its an mp3 cd yes.

Silver
07-19-2005, 02:30 AM
.mp3 songs on a disc?

or an MP3 disc.

oh and for that trunk space hehe, check the sig. :up2somet:

supa_c
07-19-2005, 02:33 AM
:offtopic:
that RL-p will pwn that MTX
/ off topic

Silver
07-19-2005, 02:39 AM
hehehe i know,

anyways when i convert a .mp3 to an ID3 tag compactable with my hu it should work?

flakko
07-19-2005, 02:45 AM
.mp3 songs on a disc?

or an MP3 disc.

oh and for that trunk space hehe, check the sig. :up2somet:

same thing.

mp3 disc = mp3 songs on a disc. burnit like a data disc.

Prowler573
07-19-2005, 02:55 AM
Go back into the id3 tag converter in your burning program and undo whatever you did to make the tags v2.3. Most head units that support id3 tag info only decode id3 v1 tags. And most importantly - id3 tag info for .mp3 files is not the same thing as CD Text info for .cda files (regular, normal, everyday CD audio)
The id3 tags are what makes your computer's media program (whatever you use ~ WinAmp, Windows Media Player, MusicMatch Jukebox, etc) know the track title, song artist, album name, etc for each file you listen to. Most, but not all, .mp3/.wma compatible decks can decode this information also.

CD Text is information burnt into a CD-R/RW that is filled with normal .cda files (yanno...18 to 20 songs rather than 200) along with the musical information that serves the same purpose as id3 tags for .mp3s

I am not familiar with itunes as I use Nero but I will assume, like Nero, somewhere along the process of creating a music cd, there will be a checkbox that tells the burning program to include CD Text info when it burns the disc. Additionally there should be somewhere to edit that info in the event that it wasn't included in the original source or it's incorrect. I cannot tell you how to do it in itunes but I will assume it's there somewhere. Have a look thru the Help or the ReadMe for that program - it oughta tell ya how.

Good luck!

TeenWolf
07-19-2005, 06:58 AM
Prowler573: Excellent job explaining that! :thumbupw:

Silver
07-19-2005, 08:19 AM
Go back into the id3 tag converter in your burning program and undo whatever you did to make the tags v2.3. Most head units that support id3 tag info only decode id3 v1 tags. And most importantly - id3 tag info for .mp3 files is not the same thing as CD Text info for .cda files (regular, normal, everyday CD audio)
The id3 tags are what makes your computer's media program (whatever you use ~ WinAmp, Windows Media Player, MusicMatch Jukebox, etc) know the track title, song artist, album name, etc for each file you listen to. Most, but not all, .mp3/.wma compatible decks can decode this information also.

CD Text is information burnt into a CD-R/RW that is filled with normal .cda files (yanno...18 to 20 songs rather than 200) along with the musical information that serves the same purpose as id3 tags for .mp3s

I am not familiar with itunes as I use Nero but I will assume, like Nero, somewhere along the process of creating a music cd, there will be a checkbox that tells the burning program to include CD Text info when it burns the disc. Additionally there should be somewhere to edit that info in the event that it wasn't included in the original source or it's incorrect. I cannot tell you how to do it in itunes but I will assume it's there somewhere. Have a look thru the Help or the ReadMe for that program - it oughta tell ya how.

Good luck!

My cd player even had the little ID3 tag on the box, it also had windows media player on it. So I;m guessing my chances are high for displaying some type of text.

Sweet, that is exactly what I needed. I checked my HU manual this morning and it sait ver v1 to 2.4. I wonder what the difference is. :uhoh:

Also to save cd's I'm going to try to pop in a burnt cd already and see if I can convert them on the disc. (.mp3's only.)

Silver
07-19-2005, 09:58 AM
ttt beeeoches

elite3847
07-19-2005, 03:47 PM
im having the same problems w/ my alpine. i just DLed nero and what do i burn it as? an mp3 disk or a data disk?

Silver
07-19-2005, 03:55 PM
from what i heard, burn it to a disc and there should be an option saying burn with text.

flakko
07-19-2005, 03:58 PM
im having the same problems w/ my alpine. i just DLed nero and what do i burn it as? an mp3 disk or a data disk?

mp3 disk = data disc.

if the ID3 tags are already on the MP3's the cd player will automatically read them

when burning a normal .wav cd, you will have to turn on the cd text thing.

elite3847
07-19-2005, 04:32 PM
ok so i DLed nero 6.6 and in my alpine owners manual is says that it only supports ID3 tag V1 and V2. for all my music the tag says ID3 V2.3 & ID3 V1.1/.
will it still work?

i wasted 3 CDs last night and dont want to waste any more. that why im asking all these q's. lol

flakko
07-19-2005, 04:48 PM
yea it will suppport 2.3 if not, waste another cd by going 1.1 ;)

elite3847
07-19-2005, 05:00 PM
#%*&^$(*$^

now i have wasted 5 CDS. i have to go to wal-mart and get some more. #$(&$^

it keeps on saying error while trying to burn them.

i hate MP3s

i also hate alpine for making it so **** hard.

flakko
07-19-2005, 05:03 PM
its not alpines fault. its either your: CD-R's (wat kind do you have?), your burner, or your computer as a whole.

elite3847
07-19-2005, 05:26 PM
^^^
i know im just mad right now. the kind of CDs i have is Verbatim CD-r Data life. 1x-48x. 80 min/700 MB

i just dipped into my dads cds and it burned when i used the image recorder to burn it. then when i put it into the car it reads as error. but the CD writer IDE1610wont even let me burn it.

lol, this is just crazy. im used to using windows media for burning CDS. all of this is new to me.

flakko
07-19-2005, 05:28 PM
image recorder?? your supposed to use your CD burner for that

theCybe
07-19-2005, 05:38 PM
Burn them on a lower setting; Burning CDs at like 12x is a nono.

flakko
07-19-2005, 05:41 PM
yea haha

i could be an underrun error

even tho i burn at 24x :)

just dont burn at the max speed

elite3847
07-19-2005, 05:48 PM
OMG i just got it working. i put it down to 12xand it burmed and then i put it in the car and it shows text and everything. i took it off of image recorder and put it back and it works!!!

BIG props to FLAKKO and everyone elese. ane the starter of this thread.

im off to wal-mart to buy CDS in style!

i also used 4 of my dads CDS. and one was a DVD RW i picked up on accident lmao o well.

liar2
07-19-2005, 05:48 PM
From the looks of it, a lot of you seem to have CD Text and ID3 tags mixed up. CD Text is what comes up from a normal music cd, ie: non mp3 disc. When choosing to create a cd in nero, you have the option to label the Artist and Title of the CD. I do believe that if your mp3s are tagged correctly, via ID3 tags, nero can import this information and provide you with accurate titles of the songs.

ID3 tags are simply for your mp3 files. There are ID3 v1 and v2 tags, with their variations. It depends on the media player on which it chooses to use. If your head unit supports mp3 cds, then it will obviously be reading these ID3 tags. All of my music uses ID3 v2.3 and my alpine reads them flawlessly.

flakko
07-19-2005, 05:51 PM
OMG i just got it working. i put it down to 12xand it burmed and then i put it in the car and it shows text and everything. i took it off of image recorder and put it back and it works!!!

BIG props to FLAKKO and everyone elese. ane the starter of this thread.

im off to wal-mart to buy CDS in style!

i also used 4 of my dads CDS. and one was a DVD RW i picked up on accident lmao o well.

no prob ;)

i always like props, BIG props are even better :D

Johnny Drama
07-19-2005, 05:53 PM
Just to let everyone know you do NOT have the CD text function in itunes. Only the ID3. Like stated cd text=music ID3=MP3