PDA

View Full Version : hu voltage out q?

60ndown
07-16-2005, 10:48 AM
if a hu has a 2 volt out,does the output voltage change with volume adjustment or is it a constant 2 v?

JLCivic
07-16-2005, 10:54 AM
It changes with the volume. It is not constant.

60ndown
07-16-2005, 11:10 AM
It changes with the volume. It is not constant.

thanks , so a line driver might boost that signal at lower volumes?

60ndown
07-16-2005, 02:59 PM
bumpity bump?

60ndown
07-16-2005, 05:37 PM
c'mon man, you got good weed today or what?, you think i want to increase my voltage to lower the volume? i want to increase th signal to my sub amp so that i can have plenty o bass at lowvolumes without useing tone or loudness controlls?
so my question is,will a line driver help me do this?

2 volts means that it can output UP TO 2 volts ... Reducing the volume reduces the voltage on the pre-outs, which reduces power output from the amplifier, which reduces the volume of the speaker ...

If you used a line driver to up the voltage at lower volumes, it wouldn't lower the volume ...

thch
07-16-2005, 06:15 PM
not only does the HU put out less signal voltage at lower volumes, the relation is not linear, thus reducing volume by half will (most likely) reduce the signal voltage by more then a half.

there are some HU's that have tone controls for what you want. tone controls sound like exactly what you want. you want the sub level to decrease at a slower rate when decreasing the master volume -- in effect raising bass at low volumes.

maylar
07-17-2005, 11:03 AM
c'mon man, you got good weed today or what?, you think i want to increase my voltage to lower the volume? i want to increase th signal to my sub amp so that i can have plenty o bass at lowvolumes without useing tone or loudness controlls?
so my question is,will a line driver help me do this?

A line driver boosts the level at all volumes. If the amp can reach full power at max volume setting now, then a line driver won't help. If the amp gain is all the way up and you can't get full power at max volume then a line driver could help.

If you're looking for more bass at low volume settings and not at high volume then play with the loudness control on your HU. That's what it's for.