PDA

View Full Version : brahma in ht setup

boister77
07-14-2005, 08:35 PM
well since i'm not using my brahma as of now. i decided to give it a try in a ht setup and it works extremely well, outperforming the currently used jbl ps120 powered sub in every category. definitely has more low end output than the ps120.

i' might build a larger enclosure and tune even lower to obtain even better results. right now it's in the 2 cu. ft. ported enclosure tuned to 28Hz that i built for the van and is being powered by a qsc usa1300 rack amp which is providing more than enough power.

http://www.realmofexcursion.net/images/brahma.jpg

creater
07-14-2005, 08:51 PM
nice mang...looks good...and bet it hits hard with the QSC amp...thats the reall stuff you got there...

gotto love QSC :greedy:

like your mixer... :naughty: ...take some pics of the entire rack and post it up mang :yumyum:

boister77
07-14-2005, 09:14 PM
here's a coupl pics of the entire rack. the rack case is home built and it works very well. it was mainly used for the band that i was in during high school. now i use here and there for parties and small events.

http://www.realmofexcursion.net/images/rack01.jpg

http://www.realmofexcursion.net/images/rack02.jpg

btw, if i plan to keep the brahma for the ht, what is a good plate amp to use? i've been looking into the plate amps from parts express and they seem very decent. anyone have experience with them? i would like to keep using the qsc but it's a bit too noisey. i tried running it with the internal fan off but it easily overheats.

creater
07-14-2005, 09:41 PM
i dont know bout the other amps...just stick with the QSC...and if the amp gets hot when the fan is running then that would be expected...but not too hot!!!

as a matter of fact...i have a studio pro pa1000x...its a good amp...not for driving those heavy 15"s...on those pro setups...

also i use a crown macro tech 600...it aint the best...but for your little home setup its good...and it may handle those heavy subs...its a very reliable amp...

nice rack too...love the mixer...my rack is much larger with 14 pieces of equipment...i use a Nippon America PA-5000 in my room...but i doubt that you can find that anywhere...its very reliable and can handle a good bit with 500x2 at 4ohms....

those are the only two on parts express that i use...

boister77
07-14-2005, 09:56 PM
with the fan running, the amp runs very cool. it's only when i try to bypass the fan that it overheats, as expected. qsc is definitely reliable, given the age of amp and the coutless hours of use, it has yet to fail me.

80INCHES
07-14-2005, 10:01 PM
hey boister......do u have an araul exciter(epicenter for the home audio or pro audio)

supa_c
07-14-2005, 10:48 PM
here's a coupl pics of the entire rack. the rack case is home built and it works very well. it was mainly used for the band that i was in during high school. now i use here and there for parties and small events.

<snipped>

btw, if i plan to keep the brahma for the ht, what is a good plate amp to use? i've been looking into the plate amps from parts express and they seem very decent. anyone have experience with them? i would like to keep using the qsc but it's a bit too noisey. i tried running it with the internal fan off but it easily overheats.
The ones on PE seem decient and have fairly nice price tags.
Plate amps are not cheap

boister77
07-14-2005, 10:52 PM
hey boister......do u have an araul exciter(epicenter for the home audio or pro audio)

i have the ultrabass from behringer. it's a sub harmonic processor (same relative technology as the epicentre, maxbass, basscube, and etc.) and it's also a 2-way crossover. very nice processing unit.

boister77
07-14-2005, 10:59 PM
this is pretty nice.

"operating efficiency up to 86%"

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-808

the only thing the worries me is it's ability to keep cool with the amount of power it produces. doesn't have any exposed heatsink fins like the other plate amps from pe.

supa_c
07-14-2005, 11:01 PM
you could always buy a heat sink.

creater
07-14-2005, 11:02 PM
gem sound makes good looking stuff too mang!!!

boister77
07-14-2005, 11:03 PM

haha...true!

supa_c
07-14-2005, 11:07 PM
The other 1000W plate amps ive seen dont have heat sinks either

creater
07-14-2005, 11:07 PM

thats true...my PA-5000 has only heatsinks...but the heat builds up alot when playing for a while so you might still need the fan

creater
07-14-2005, 11:09 PM
heat sink may be the best bet though

supa_c
07-14-2005, 11:11 PM
Plenty of car amplifiers use heat sinks, they get plenty toasty, a lot hotter than a HT amp would get.

boister77
07-14-2005, 11:13 PM
heat sink may be the best bet though

heat sink for sure since i'm tryinig to avoid fan noise;). but if i do get this amp, i'll test it out without a heatsink. i'm sure it's factured into the design to operate without a heatsink with fins.

supa_c
07-14-2005, 11:15 PM
Its plenty cheap. Those 1kw amps run $500+ elsewhere