PDA

View Full Version : Standard shop rates for fabrication

JimJ
07-14-2005, 07:58 PM
Since my latest project is going to probably weigh close to 150lbs all together, I'm not looking forward to having to pay shipping costs for it :( That still might be an option, but I'm also thinking of having a local shop do the work for me. That way, I save on the S&H, and hell, the labor costs will still probably be under that :mad:

The project is two of these: http://www.madisound.com/pdf/fostexdrivers/fe166esr.pdf built from 3/4" baltic birch ply.

Any general guidelines on what I can expect to pay, if they'll take the work in the first place? I have a Lowe's commercial account, I could even deliver the raw materials to them. All I'd be paying for is their time.

ruckus
07-15-2005, 12:33 PM
what do carpenters make in your area figure a full day of paying a carpenter as a minimum price. $150-$200 per day?

BeanII
07-15-2005, 02:00 PM
Long shot, but you may want to got to a local high school and see if the shop teacher is willing to take it on as like a class project. My mom works @ a high school and they do stuff like that (special projects, not speaker cabinets) all the time.

ss3079
07-15-2005, 02:51 PM
I think you'd be able to do it yourself :) With a well designed plywood layout so you don't waste any wood, that is. It's really not that bad of a design.

Nice thing about having a carpenter do it = it would be done in one day.

bcarpenterfhl
07-15-2005, 04:03 PM
with the money you would have to spend on having a shop do that particular, you could buy all the necesarry tools and do it yourself. and you'll have the tools for the rest of your life.