PDA

View Full Version : Really Dumb Question Needs Urgent Answer

mklfrederick
07-12-2005, 06:52 PM
hey, so I've never payed much attention to the whole car audio thing (far as i was concerned u put the cd in, it played, great) but i'm going to go and get a new HU tomorrow and the guy I'm buying my stuff from is really keen on Rockford. Are rockford HU's decent and if not what should i go for instead - im ignorant and at your mercy. shot.

Slaugh
07-12-2005, 06:59 PM
dude

try to get an Alpine CDA-9835 head unit if you can... ive been advizing it to everyone.. it still seems to be the best choice... the new alpine modem is the CDA-9855 but stay very far from it, it's only giving problem...

a CDA-9815 is also a good choice you can get still new for 250 bucks from leftover i think...

go with Alpine... no complains so far...

squeak9798
07-12-2005, 07:01 PM
It completely, 100% depends on your budget, and what features you are looking for in a headunit.

Rockford decks are okay.....I'd pick up an Alpine, Pioneer or Clarion before a Rockford though.

JAZN
07-12-2005, 07:10 PM
the only RF HU i'd touch is the 8250, which isnt even a RF.
but since u dont really care that much, just find one that plays cd's well and doesnt cause any problems.

mklfrederick
07-12-2005, 07:22 PM
k shot for the help so far...

i do kinda care cause im thinking of spending some cash and time in building up something reasonable, and in terms of price range for the HU i suppose I'm looking at spending between $250 and $350 (doing quick conversions from Rand to dollars lol)

so clarion and alpine and pioneer are the front runners - if u had to rank them how would they line up?

jacko
07-12-2005, 07:25 PM
pioneer is first place as long as it's a $300+ model

Alpine is first for the $100-$300 class

couldn't tell you about a clarion tho.

Slaugh
07-12-2005, 07:30 PM
get the Alpine CDA-9835 dude

for real

it has a better SQ than Pioneers

JAZN
07-12-2005, 09:16 PM
get the Alpine CDA-9835 dude

for real

it has a better SQ than Pioneers
please, do explain.

OG poster, alpine, pioneer, and clarion are all good. just dont cheap out on the HU, one of the most important parts of a system.

Slaugh
07-12-2005, 09:26 PM
i was able to testify that Alpine head units send a much cleaner and better detailed sound than Pioneer ones...

most people here will say the same...

JAZN
07-12-2005, 09:58 PM
damm. totally got me there. u win.

stones
07-12-2005, 10:26 PM
You must buy an Alpine!
There is other manufacturers that make better HU's outthere, and Alpine is having horrible problems this year with their HU's breaking down and pathetic preouts, but hey its phucking ALPINE man!, isn't a brand name the whole reason for buying electronics anyway?.
Bottom line, you are not cool unless your stuff has Alpine logos on it.
(or whatever the current trend is)

Abell255
07-13-2005, 01:28 AM
dude

try to get an Alpine CDA-9835 head unit if you can... ive been advizing it to everyone.. it still seems to be the best choice... the new alpine modem is the CDA-9855 but stay very far from it, it's only giving problem...

a CDA-9815 is also a good choice you can get still new for 250 bucks from leftover i think...

go with Alpine... no complains so far...

Do you own one? Yeah, old batches were terrible. I think now all stores only sell the new batches anyways. They are very good HU's, especially once you get used to the glide touch. IMO, get closer if it's in your budget.

Xtra
07-13-2005, 09:25 AM
Since this thread title fits really well with this question:

Can head unit power be bridged?

Silver
07-13-2005, 10:23 AM
Don't get an alpine. I had a 9827 and it ****** major ***. My HU that was 8yrs old (Clarion RDB355 was WAY better then it. I ended up getting a DXZ655mp from clarion and everything is clear and crisp. Plenty of settings, 700+ color displays, cd text all the goodies. Even an LED/anti-theft light after you remove the faceplate.

the only problem with my old RDB355 = no preouts. Other than that was crisp and clean.

Clarion's first on my list. Then Pioneer. Plenty of my buds had them and they have ALOT of settings on them, I tuned all their systems in for them. 3rd would be kenwood, they've had some decent products comin out. Which is sweet.

I always liked alpine, untill I baught a HU. I still run their amp to my mids and it kicks ***. I'm sure their higher range HU's are where its at. For lower price and higher quality, go with clarion. Really nice hu for the buck. Only problem, some of them look tacky. Here's mine...

Go with a clarion.

http://images.cardomain.net/products/cla/CLADXZ655MP_1.jpg

stones
07-13-2005, 10:46 AM
Since this thread title fits really well with this question:

Can head unit power be bridged?
No.

Slaugh
07-13-2005, 02:25 PM
You must buy an Alpine!
There is other manufacturers that make better HU's outthere, and Alpine is having horrible problems this year with their HU's breaking down and pathetic preouts, but hey its phucking ALPINE man!, isn't a brand name the whole reason for buying electronics anyway?.
Bottom line, you are not cool unless your stuff has Alpine logos on it.
(or whatever the current trend is)
got sand in your ******, sir?

JAZN
07-13-2005, 03:36 PM
got sand in your ******, sir?
do you? yea, the 9835 is a great unit and i wouldnt mind having it at all, but it's not god. stop being so incredibly narrow-minded, and i'm sure u've used a ton of pioneer and alpine decks to validate your point right?

i was able to testify that Alpine head units send a much cleaner and better detailed sound than Pioneer ones...

most people here will say the same...
http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=809

JLCivic
07-13-2005, 05:26 PM
IF you have access to Eclipse, i would take a good look at their decks(best sounding decks I have ever used until I picked up the 8250).

RF is no longer making head units so you may want to consider that when buying.

If I could not find Eclipse, I would take a look at Clarion or Pioneer, probably(oh, and some people are giving the new kenwoods some excellent reviews).

Good luck with whatever you buy.

Slaugh
07-13-2005, 05:41 PM
do you? yea, the 9835 is a great unit and i wouldnt mind having it at all, but it's not god. stop being so incredibly narrow-minded, and i'm sure u've used a ton of pioneer and alpine decks to validate your point right?

http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=809
*sigh*

like i said in all of my posts the 9855 is a completely different hu than the previous 9835 and 9815... it has been remodelated internally to offer the best bang for your buck... that's why i am NOT advizing it and advizing 9815/9835 which you can ebay or buy from leftover on stores for a REAL good price (remember the retail price was 500 dollars and you can find NEW 9815 still in the box from leftover for 250 dollars, thats a hell of a deal)

i'm not narrow-minded... i've listened to far more Pioneers than Alpines and i can clearly say they dont have a as good SQ as the Alpine does... Pioneers been developing hu's for the people looking for a more flashy hu than one looking for a good SQ one... i don't see how it's difficult to see that it's pretty obvious.. just see the number of screensaver and such on Pioneer and compare to the Alpines, which got any, except for the 9835...

about the comparison you sent you're comparing the top of line Premier to a "top" of the line Alpine which like i said, has gone completely downhill this year... among these i'd pick the 960mp anyday...

if the Alpine in question was the 9815 or the 9835, than i would get the Alpines for sure

sorry if i sounded narrow-minded, i'm just trying to advize the guy to get an old hu since the prices are amazingly good and they offer more than new head units out in the market...

AVSTANG02
07-13-2005, 06:23 PM
I wanna see some actual press releases from alpine or something from reliable sources not some dork with a spanish wrestler in his sig.

I read a lot of forums and Alpine has definately not been on the top of the manufactures defect list.

JLCivic
07-13-2005, 08:43 PM
*sigh*

like i said in all of my posts the 9855 is a completely different hu than the previous 9835 and 9815... it has been remodelated internally to offer the best bang for your buck... that's why i am NOT advizing it and advizing 9815/9835 which you can ebay or buy from leftover on stores for a REAL good price (remember the retail price was 500 dollars and you can find NEW 9815 still in the box from leftover for 250 dollars, thats a hell of a deal)

i'm not narrow-minded... i've listened to far more Pioneers than Alpines and i can clearly say they dont have a as good SQ as the Alpine does... Pioneers been developing hu's for the people looking for a more flashy hu than one looking for a good SQ one... i don't see how it's difficult to see that it's pretty obvious.. just see the number of screensaver and such on Pioneer and compare to the Alpines, which got any, except for the 9835...

about the comparison you sent you're comparing the top of line Premier to a "top" of the line Alpine which like i said, has gone completely downhill this year... among these i'd pick the 960mp anyday...

if the Alpine in question was the 9815 or the 9835, than i would get the Alpines for sure

sorry if i sounded narrow-minded, i'm just trying to advize the guy to get an old hu since the prices are amazingly good and they offer more than new head units out in the market...

There have been many posts complaining of the "weak sub pre out" on the 9815. Given the 2 you mentioned, if I had to buy an alpine, it would be the 9835(many were happy that model didn't seem to have the weak pre outs).

Slaugh
07-13-2005, 09:16 PM
There have been many posts complaining of the "weak sub pre out" on the 9815. Given the 2 you mentioned, if I had to buy an alpine, it would be the 9835(many were happy that model didn't seem to have the weak pre outs).
yeah i know im one who suffers from the low preouts.. :p but believe me, even with this flaw i wouldnt replace it for any other Pioneer Premier... the 860MP would be equivalent but i heard both on same systems... the SQ is still a bit better on the 9815 and the prices of the 9815 are better...

i think the Pioneer still "pounds" more bass... but that's because the subwoofer line on the alpines goes up to +0db... if im not wrong now the Pioneers add DB to the subwoofer line... that may be the reason why it distorts more than the alpines for example

dunno in USA but in my country who loves car audio all go with Alpine/hi-end Clarions and who loves all that annoying bass boom boom down the street go with the Pioneers... you dont see a single Pioneer on SQ competitions while 90% of the HUs ARE alpines... i think they have a reason to be using Alpines...by unanimity SQ freaks here elect Alpine with a MUCH better SQ over the Pioneers...

look i paid over 450 bucks on my used 9815 here and i AM happy.. i could have gotten a 770MP for half the alpine price here but i didn't... in US if you can get a brand new for 250 dollars i just can't believe why people go with Pioneers...

imo with an alpine you get 90% of the price you paid in quality audio components while with pioneers you get 50% of the price you paid in audio components and the rest in screensaver and other flashy things that won't help jackshit your system sound better

at least thats my opinion...

JLCivic
07-13-2005, 09:33 PM
yeah i know im one who suffers from the low preouts.. :p but believe me, even with this flaw i wouldnt replace it for any other Pioneer Premier... the 860MP would be equivalent but i heard both on same systems... the SQ is still a bit better on the 9815 and the prices of the 9815 are better...

i think the Pioneer still "pounds" more bass... but that's because the subwoofer line on the alpines goes up to +0db... if im not wrong now the Pioneers add DB to the subwoofer line... that may be the reason why it distorts more than the alpines for example

dunno in USA but in my country who loves car audio all go with Alpine/hi-end Clarions and who loves all that annoying bass boom boom down the street go with the Pioneers... you dont see a single Pioneer on SQ competitions while 90% of the HUs ARE alpines... i think they have a reason to be using Alpines...by unanimity SQ freaks here elect Alpine with a MUCH better SQ over the Pioneers...

look i paid over 450 bucks on my used 9815 here and i AM happy.. i could have gotten a 770MP for half the alpine price here but i didn't... in US if you can get a brand new for 250 dollars i just can't believe why people go with Pioneers...

imo with an alpine you get 90% of the price you paid in quality audio components while with pioneers you get 50% of the price you paid in audio components and the rest in screensaver and other flashy things that won't help jackshit your system sound better

at least thats my opinion...

Well, if you had a problem with the 9815, it would make sense to just recommend the 9835(assuming you realized the problem had apparently been fixed with that model).

IMO, Alpine stuff is not as good as it used to be. I do believe their name has carried them more in recent years. When people talk about the "legendary" alpine decks, you don't hear about 7863s/7894/9815/7995, etc. You hear about the 7909/7949/7969, and those haven't been made in years. Of course they have the F1 Status, but for $2k-$3k, it better **** well sound incredible. Most brands are going that way, unfortunately....tons of features for the lowest price...that doesn't necessarily mean "sounds better."

As for why alpine seems to be used where you live, there are many reasons why people use a specific brand(availability, price, sponsorship, etc). I bet some Pioneer P9 combo users would love to take a crack at some of those alpine users. That is supposed to be an excellent combo(I have not heard one).

If you believe Alpine spends 90% on quality components, and Pioneer spends 50%, I wonder where you would put Eclipse(do you have access to eclipse decks?). If not then that is a shame. :)

Everybody has brand preferences. I have run into one guy who INSISTED that RF had the absolute best decks, and I thought he was on drugs. He heard my car, and bought an Eclipse(I ran Eclipse for 10 years), and he hasn't looked back. Some people prefer the sound of Pioneer while others prefer the sound of Eclipse, Alpine, etc. To my ears, from top to bottom, Eclipse makes the best sounding decks. When I see somebody say they think clarion does, I think they are insane, but I don't know what THEIR ears are telling them. IMO, Alpines tend to be a little "brighter" while Eclipse seems to have a smoother sound to my ears. I prefer the smoother sound.

DBfan187
07-13-2005, 09:54 PM
Eclipse > /thread

That Clarion mentioned earlier in that pic is tastey looking though.

Slaugh
07-13-2005, 09:56 PM
ohh yeah... the Eclipses dude... but the problem is: Alpines are already WAY overpriced in my country now you figure how much Eclipse is... hehe

yeah i heard Eclipse hu... only once... but i could note it was an amazing hu... it was an older model (circa 2000)... i listened to New Order on it for a few minutes on an entire lightning audio/kicker system and even this way it was still sounding amazing... (i have the utmost respect for kicker, but im not into lightning audio products)

if i had easy contact with these awesome products i would have something to do every weekend.... id probably go auditioning all these audio products i always wanted to... Eclipse has always been on top of this list.. :D at least for hu's...

if it wasnt for the price things end up here we would be able to afford more amazing products you guys have up there...

JLCivic
07-13-2005, 09:58 PM
ohh yeah... the Eclipses dude... but the problem is: Alpines are already WAY overpriced in my country now you figure how much Eclipse is... hehe

yeah i heard Eclipse hu... only once... but i could note it was an amazing hu... it was an older model (circa 2000)... i listened to New Order on it for a few minutes on an entire lightning audio/kicker system and even this way it was still sounding amazing... (i have the utmost respect for kicker, but im not into lightning audio products)

if i had easy contact with these awesome products i would have something to do every weekend.... id probably go auditioning all these audio products i always wanted to... Eclipse has always been on top of this list.. :D at least for hu's...

if it wasnt for the price things end up here we would be able to afford more amazing products you guys have up there...

That ***** that car audio is overpriced in Brazil(I assume not just Alpine). Eclipse, here, is VERY reasonably priced compared to other brands, imo. 5V head units starting at US$179, authorized. Anyway, we all have to just go with what we can get our hands on anyway. Good luck with your search.

stones
07-13-2005, 10:15 PM
Yes I had sand in my ****** (ran out of smokes).
I just wish people would stick their head out a little and look at the big picture, Alpine is a good company and makes some really nice products but I see alot of other companys coming out with products that will match and in some cases outperform Alpines stuff for less money is some cases. Every case is different, sometimes Alpine is the most appropriate choice for what ever component but not in every case.
I like to support the underdog, competition is a good thing. if everybody just bought Alpine stuff and all the other companys started going bankrupt nobody would be able to compete, without competition Alpine could start telling us what they think we should buy instead of us telling them what we want.

I say buy the deck that looks good, does what you need it to do and is affordable. To hell with brand names, if sombody buys a Jensen HU and it does what they need it to, great! I will respect them for going with what works for them, rather then going for whats popular just for social acceptance.