PDA

View Full Version : False wall How-To?

PhatTonyDeMarco
07-12-2005, 12:44 AM
Well I want to make a false wall for my trunk, to clean up my install a bit. I was wondering how exactly I go about it. I googled it, and got no installation pages. I just dont really know where to start.

Exactly what I want is a board that goes from one end of the trunk to the other, fitting snugly. I will cut holes in this board to expose my subs and port hole. I also want to mount my amp on the front of the board, and then carpet it to match the trunk, so it looks somewhat factory.

How do I go about doing this the correct way?

skeptikal
07-12-2005, 04:40 AM
-Take a piece of cardboard and get the outline of wherever you want to put the baffle
-Trace the cardboard piece onto an MDF (or whatever wood you choose) sheet
-Cut the MDF (or wood) sheet to have it fit, then do some measuring to see where the ports and sub are in relation to the board and cut out around those measurements....

http://img134.exs.cx/img134/7985/10003548pm.jpg

http://img134.exs.cx/img134/5466/10003565zw.jpg

Decipha
07-12-2005, 05:04 AM
maybe next time you can carpet the rest of the box?????

Bluntman420
07-12-2005, 05:16 AM
maybe next time you can carpet the rest of the box?????
its obviously not done in the pics dumb*ss....hes just showing him how to do it.

PhatTonyDeMarco
07-13-2005, 04:29 PM
Okay, I got it all cut out and carpeted (no pics, card reader on computer doesnt work :() But it looks kinda bad because the edges (top, sides, and holes for port edges) are exposed and look like ****. I was wondering how I should cover this to make it look good... I have a LOT of extra carpeting (got two linear feet for $8), but it is kinda hard to work with... Anyone have any tips for just covering the edges?

Mr. Opportunist
07-14-2005, 12:49 AM
Okay, I got it all cut out and carpeted (no pics, card reader on computer doesnt work :() But it looks kinda bad because the edges (top, sides, and holes for port edges) are exposed and look like ****. I was wondering how I should cover this to make it look good... I have a LOT of extra carpeting (got two linear feet for $8), but it is kinda hard to work with... Anyone have any tips for just covering the edges?
why didnt you just wrap the fabric around the board when you put it in?

bcarpenterfhl
07-14-2005, 01:48 AM
keep in mind that that extra baffle will extend the port 3/4 of an inch, decreasing your tuning. people tend to be so precise and **** on tuning these days.

PhatTonyDeMarco
07-14-2005, 02:56 AM
why didnt you just wrap the fabric around the board when you put it in?

The top of the board is not straight edge, so it wouldnt have worked. But I got the carpet cut out to stips and it worked pretty well. The double sided tape that I was using to put it on is not so great, it is what the Lowes guy gave me.

BcarpenterFHL... My wall is not perfectly around my port. It is about 0.5" away from the itself, on each side. And I only use the box for daily driving, so I am not too worried about a small difference in tuning.

Wish I could get pics, I am pretty happy with the outcome. My card reader for my camera is currently not working.... But I will hopefully have the by this weekend. Feels good to do the work yoursel... :veryhapp:

chinny
07-14-2005, 04:20 AM
keep in mind that that extra baffle will extend the port 3/4 of an inch, decreasing your tuning. people tend to be so precise and **** on tuning these days.

i hear ya

_DjScrew_
07-14-2005, 09:46 AM
i haven't had much experience with carpet, but a lot of people have recommended the 3m spray glue to me.

ruckus
07-14-2005, 11:54 AM
yup 3m spray adhesive the best way to put carpet without spending an assload of money. I also cut my edges at a 45 degree inward cut after its laid if its not running into another piece of carpet. it allows it to feather smooth on the edges with the adhesive.

req
07-14-2005, 12:23 PM
i used 3M super77 spray adhesive. spray it on both surfaces, let it dry for a few minutes, then apply the carpet, on all the corners\curves, slice the carpet - or cut a V shaped wedge out, so when you fold it over the back, it wont wrinkle.

i also use a staplegun on the backside, and a hammer to make sure the staples are in there.

PhatTonyDeMarco
07-14-2005, 10:50 PM
i haven't had much experience with carpet, but a lot of people have recommended the 3m spray glue to me.

Yeah, I didnt think of that until after I bought the carpet.. And the guy a Lowes told me that this double sided tape, (made for carpeting) would work fine.. ******* didint know what he was talking about, holds like ****. Ill probably have to rip it all off eventually and re do it.