PDA

View Full Version : Alpine or Pioneer deck?

fatryan
07-11-2005, 02:24 AM
Which would you personally choose?

The reason i ask, is cause im looking at the CDA-9855 cause it directly interfaces with an ipod. but then i looked at the deh-p960mp. both are about the same price. but from what ive heard the pioneer doesnt directly interface with an ipod like the alpine does. but then, the pioneer has 6.5v preouts as opposed to the alpines 4v. and it seems that more people on this forum like pioneer over alpine. so i need a pole.

cjjackson85
07-11-2005, 02:27 AM
*Poll* I voted Premier, it has a 2 year warranty... :up2somet:

fatryan
07-11-2005, 02:29 AM
warranty is not an issue

Decipha
07-11-2005, 02:30 AM
the only draw back on pioneers are there bad internal grounding issues other than that

A+++++

stones
Kenwood has some high end decks that are I-pod compatible and High volt outputs.

cjjackson85
Yeah, who needs a stupid warranty anways :uhoh:

Prowler573
07-11-2005, 02:31 AM
Well, this drunk came down my street a week or so ago and clipped a utility pole. They've already set up the new one but the remains of the old are still lying on the side of the street in between the sidewalk and the street if you want it.

As for your poll, though, seemingly the new Pioneers have a ground-trace issue and the new Alpines just plain have issues. (out of the first-bathc '05 stuff anyway....sposed to have been corrected but the 1st-batch stuff is still out there for sale) Either of those companies are having not-so-spectacular luck out of their newer head units. Seems kinda hit-or-miss either way.

fatryan
07-11-2005, 02:31 AM
i hate kenwood. and yes, im worried about the pioneer grounding issue.

fatryan
07-11-2005, 02:33 AM
so whats wrong with alpine?

stones
07-11-2005, 02:33 AM
Clarion= no issues

fatryan
07-11-2005, 02:34 AM
ive heard clarion sux *******

cjjackson85
Clarion= no issues
:iagree: ProAudio = teh w!n

stones
They hired a bunch of bums to manufacture their new stuff so they are having alot of warranty problems this year.

fatryan
07-11-2005, 02:36 AM
They hired a bunch of bums to manufacture their new stuff so they are having alot of warranty problems this year.
like i said b4, warrant1y is no issue/ whats wrong with the actual decks? every alpine ive ever used really suprised me, which is why im considering switching over

stones
07-11-2005, 02:36 AM
You hate Kenwood and think that Clarion ***** ballz and you trying to choose between the two companies that are having the worst warranty issues this year?.

cjjackson85
07-11-2005, 02:37 AM
:rotflol: ... good one.

cjjackson85
07-11-2005, 02:37 AM
^Topped :woot:

fatryan
07-11-2005, 02:38 AM
WARRANTY IS NOT AN ISSUE> and anyways. i HAVE a kenwood now in my other car and i hate it. and i only said i HEARD that clarion sux. ive never used 1. and theyre not too popular anyways, so i worry

stones
like i said b4, warrant1y is no issue/ whats wrong with the actual decks? every alpine ive ever used really suprised me, which is why im considering switching over
Heres the problems with the Alpines-
http://www.caraudio.com/vb/search.php?searchid=650120

fatryan
am i not allowed to have an opinion, jeez

fatryan
07-11-2005, 02:39 AM
Heres the problems with the Alpines-
http://www.caraudio.com/vb/search.php?searchid=650120
???

cjjackson85
07-11-2005, 02:40 AM
am i not allowed to have an opinion, jeez
No, you're not... :crap:

fatryan
07-11-2005, 02:40 AM
oh, and another differnce is the pioneer has a 24bit DAC (i think) as opposed to the alpines 1bit dac

fatryan
07-11-2005, 02:41 AM
and the pioneer has a 13 band eq while the alpine has a 7 (i think)

Prowler573
07-11-2005, 02:41 AM
I don't know from personal experience but I see tales of woe on this forum as well as others about the 1st-run batch of various Alpine models for '05 having all kinds of troubles. Display not showing properly, face refusing to function, decks not ejecting discs, etc, etc.

Sorry to hear about you hating Kenwood. The new eXcelon-series stuff is really, really nice.

Stones had a good suggestion - the Clarions continue to be solid performers. Eclipse has some truly nice decks if you can get past the questionable cosmetics. Alpine and Pioneer are by far not your only head unit options for a high-end unit. Go audition some various decks and get what ya like. Everyone's tastes as far as sound quality, deck cosmetics, ease of operation, etc will vary.

A particular unit having a warranty in effect when you buy it may not be an issue to you at the outset - and that's simply a matter of personal preference. But if you happen to get one of the decks that has proven problamatic and you have to pay an extra $100 or more to get your brand new deck fixed then the absence of a warranty becomes more critical.

I can tell ya I really like my deck. It sounds good, works well, has all the control over my system that it needs in its current configuration, blah, blah, blah. People with Alpine and Pioneer units can probably tell you the same thing. Get what ya want and to hell with what everyone else says :)

fatryan
07-11-2005, 02:42 AM
but all pioneer ive ever owned (at least 5 or 6) have some weird problem that makes the gain for the subwoofer increase unevernly

stones
07-11-2005, 02:42 AM
???
Go through the first couple pages and read the threads about Alpine head unit troubles.

fatryan
07-11-2005, 02:43 AM
I don't know from personal experience but I see tales of woe on this forum as well as others about the 1st-run batch of various Alpine models for '05 having all kinds of troubles. Display not showing properly, face refusing to function, decks not ejecting discs, etc, etc.

Sorry to hear about you hating Kenwood. The new eXcelon-series stuff is really, really nice.

Stones had a good suggestion - the Clarions continue to be solid performers. Eclipse has some truly nice decks if you can get past the questionable cosmetics. Alpine and Pioneer are by far not your only head unit options for a high-end unit. Go audition some various decks and get what ya like. Everyone's tastes as far as sound quality, deck cosmetics, ease of operation, etc will vary.

I can tell ya I really like my deck. It sounds good, works well, has all the control over my system that it needs in its current configuration, blah, blah, blah. People with Alpine and Pioneer units can probably tell you the same thing. Get what ya want and to hell with what everyone else says :)
i just worry about clarion cause they dont seem to be too popular. but eclipse? forget it. im not rich

fatryan
07-11-2005, 02:44 AM
so does pioneer have similar problems too

stones
07-11-2005, 02:46 AM
so does pioneer have similar problems too
Bad ground trace and the data ribbon from the hu to the face plate breaking are the only problems I have seen so far.

fatryan
07-11-2005, 02:48 AM
whats the data ribbon thing?

Prowler573
07-11-2005, 02:49 AM
i just worry about clarion cause they dont seem to be too popular. but eclipse? forget it. im not rich

If a deck's perceived popularity is a major deciding factor for you goto Wal-Mart and get one of the Sony Xplods. They sell hundreds of them a day so I reckon they're fairly popular.

Neither the Pioneer 960 or the Alpine 9855 are particularly cheap units...if you're giving either of these serious consideration you have the budget for an Eclipse. Probably not their best one but $300 should be able to get a nice Eclipse in your dash without too much trouble.

zachzchw
Either one (Alpine or Pioneer) might have problems. Or, they might be flawless for years. Just pick one based on the features you want, and hope for the best.
Out of curiousity, why is warranty not an issue?

stones
On the flip face models its a flexible strip containing the wires for the face plate, last years Kenwoods with the flip faces had the same problem so they stopped making them.

cjjackson85
That's one of the worst reasons I've ever heard... :crap: Oh well.

fatryan
07-11-2005, 02:54 AM
If a deck's perceived popularity is a major deciding factor for you goto Wal-Mart and get one of the Sony Xplods. They sell hundreds of them a day so I reckon they're fairly popular.

Neither the Pioneer 960 or the Alpine 9855 are particularly cheap units...if you're giving either of these serious consideration you have the budget for an Eclipse. Probably not their best one but $300 should be able to get a nice Eclipse in your dash without too much trouble.
no, its not, but but they are used for a reaon. call me a rider of the bandwagon, but why would people repeatedly choose 1 huge company over another. and i cant afford the eclipse with the features i want

fatryan
07-11-2005, 02:55 AM
Either one (Alpine or Pioneer) might have problems. Or, they might be flawless for years. Just pick one based on the features you want, and hope for the best.
Out of curiousity, why is warranty not an issue?
well, warranty wasnt an issue cause i was gonna just get 1 cheap on ebay. but if both companies are having such problems, i think i might spend the extra $$$ and get 1 at a local shop

fatryan
07-11-2005, 02:56 AM
That's one of the worst reasons I've ever heard... :crap: Oh well.
and also, ive heard they **** from a couple people. it just makes since to steer clear.

stones
07-11-2005, 02:58 AM
no, its not, but but they are used for a reaon. call me a rider of the bandwagon, but why would people repeatedly choose 1 huge company over another. and i cant afford the eclipse with the features i want
Clever marketing, why do you think the I-pod is so popular, there are many other types of personal media players out there that work just as well for less.
Think of it like this, theres another kid at school who is more popular that you, does that mean he is any better then you?, no, he just "markets" himself in a more appealing manner.

fatryan
07-11-2005, 02:59 AM
Clever marketing, why do you think the I-pod is so popular, there are many other types of personal media players out there that work just as well for less.
Think of it like this, theres another kid at school who is more popular that you, does that mean he is any better then you?, no he just "markets" himself in a more appealing manner.
i know that, but look at all the people here at CA.com. whats the ratio of pioneer to clarion? and there are some real pros here. what do the pros run? not often clarion.

stones
07-11-2005, 03:03 AM
The pro's don't worry about warranties, they get the features and looks they want or what ever their sponsers tell them to use.

Randy Savage
07-11-2005, 03:03 AM
Clarion DRZ9255>almost anything Pioneer makes (save P9 combo or Alpine radio/701 combo)

:)

fatryan
07-11-2005, 03:05 AM
The pro's don't worry about warranties, they get the features and looks they want or what ever their sponsers tell them to use.
well thats what im more conserned about. i just want good clean SQ. good features. ipod interfacing. etc. if alpine and pioneer have issue now, then i will hafta buy local so i can use the warranty.

stones
07-11-2005, 03:06 AM
:yes:

cjjackson85
07-11-2005, 03:07 AM
Clarion DRZ9255>almost anything Pioneer makes (save P9 combo or Alpine radio/701 combo)

:)
Thank you!

fatryan
07-11-2005, 03:08 AM
****it, i hope i can find a nice deal then

cjjackson85
07-11-2005, 03:09 AM
and also, ive heard they **** from a couple people. it just makes since to steer clear.
Well not like it matters, but I've had both a Pioneer DEH-P860MP and an Eclipse CD8454 in the past and my Clarion DRZ9255 blows them both out of the water... :up2somet:

[/story]

Randy Savage
07-11-2005, 03:09 AM
Look into the Clarion 855....awesome deck :)

Randy Savage
07-11-2005, 03:10 AM
I got to play around with my buddies Eclipse 8445 the other day...not a bad deck...nothing special like some people here make them out to be...

fatryan
07-11-2005, 03:13 AM
i just dont want to go throw down money on a clarion after what iver heard about them, and what i see. its just to risky 4 me

fatryan
07-11-2005, 03:14 AM
Well not like it matters, but I've had both a Pioneer DEH-P860MP and an Eclipse CD8454 in the past and my Clarion DRZ9255 blows them both out of the water... :up2somet:

[/story]
how?

Prowler573
07-11-2005, 03:14 AM
i know that, but look at all the people here at CA.com. whats the ratio of pioneer to clarion? and there are some real pros here. what do the pros run? not often clarion.
People tend to migrate to locations where other like-minded people congregate. There are lots of faithful Pioneer and Alpine users here. RE seems to regularly be a top suggestion to those that ask on here what subwoofer(s) they ought to buy. I can show you another forum where all of the mods seemingly believe if your subs aren't an Adire product then you're a foolish car audio newbie who doesn't know any better. I'd be willing to bet that if you looked for not too terribly long you could find a forum somewhere online that most of that board's regulars tout Clarion as the be-all, end-all of mobile audio gear.

Unless someone else is paying for your equipment for you (in which case I say f**k you, ya lucky bastard! j/k :D ) then just buy what ya want that best suits your needs.

cjjackson85
07-11-2005, 03:17 AM
how?
:confused:

fatryan
07-11-2005, 03:19 AM
People tend to migrate to locations where other like-minded people congregate. There are lots of faithful Pioneer and Alpine users here. RE seems to regularly be a top suggestion to those that ask on here what subwoofer(s) they ought to buy. I can show you another forum where all of the mods seemingly believe if your subs aren't an Adire product then you're a foolish car audio newbie who doesn't know any better. I'd be willing to bet that if you looked for not too terribly long you could find a forum somewhere online that most of that board's regulars tout Clarion as the be-all, end-all of mobile audio gear.

Unless someone else is paying for your equipment for you (in which case I say f**k you, ya lucky bastard! j/k :D ) then just buy what ya want that best suits your needs.
sounds like a good idea. but you guys got me all worried about these new problems with alpine and pioneer. honestly though, i think ill take the alpine. ive been extremely impressed with the alpines ive used b4. they seem rock solid and sq is incredible. all the pioneer ive been using have annoying problems like slow loading, nonfunctional remotes, display problems. im just sick of it. i think im switching to alpine.

fatryan
07-11-2005, 03:19 AM
:confused:
you never cease to amaze me cj

cjjackson85
07-11-2005, 03:20 AM
*Cease* Thanks... :blush:

Edit: You're ninja fast!

fatryan
07-11-2005, 03:21 AM
*Cease* Thanks... :blush:

Edit: You're ninja fast!