PDA

View Full Version : Idea on subwoofer placement

GCAdidas13
07-10-2005, 09:15 PM
If I were to put my two 15" avalanches on the rear deck, with the port in between them, facing up and a little bit out on an angle like a normal rear deck, would I suffer any SQ/SPL problems due to this? Or any other problems, for that matter?

Id use a sawzall to make enough room, and yes i would tint the windows for protection from theft.

Thanks
Brian

GCAdidas13
07-10-2005, 10:24 PM
anyone? just yes or no on whether or not it will affect SQ or SPL, or be maybe damaging on the rear window seals or something ghey like that?

ruckus
07-10-2005, 10:31 PM
I was just thinking how would 2 15" avalanches react so close to the rear window? SPL would probably be better in the cab than if the port and full speaker were in the trunk. Wouldnt you think? Your rear deck would become like a suv rear in a sense.

SPL140.2
07-10-2005, 10:34 PM
that must be one huge rear deck, what kinda car??

GCAdidas13
07-10-2005, 11:42 PM
Toyota camry. I measured... I have to cut all of it but the vertical portion the comes down the back of the seats.

I was just thinking how would 2 15" avalanches react so close to the rear window? SPL would probably be better in the cab than if the port and full speaker were in the trunk. Wouldnt you think? Your rear deck would become like a suv rear in a sense.
I really wonder the same thing! Makes me want to try it :D

I'll do some more measuring tomorrow and see if I have the guts to do it :p:

Decipha
07-10-2005, 11:45 PM
idea on subwoofer placement

subs usually work best in a box, you could even try the "trunk" of your car

audiolife
07-10-2005, 11:51 PM
make a port plug that way you dont have to worry. you want to bump at a db drag you can but as a dailly ill lay money you would like em better sealed. those will get PLENTY loud sealed trust me

GCAdidas13
07-10-2005, 11:58 PM
There's only one problem with that... If I was going to port, I was looking to tune to 26hz. that's a HUGE port... and I was also going with 7 cubes NET. so if I make a plug, that turns out being somewhere around 9.5 cubes if I plug the port...

Anyway, Audiolife, what do you think about the whole mounting on the rear deck idea?

Thanks

audiolife
07-11-2005, 12:05 AM
lol you can still do it (the plug) although with what you have and want to do i would question to why.... you have excellent speakers and you want to turn it into a street humper only car. when you get everything going ill put 20 bucks up that you wont like a low tuned vented box mated up with the rest of your system lol i dont care "how sq" the woofer with any mid output level or above it will get muddy UNLIKE the rest of the system. those woofers can go large sealed so why not do it (you will get a substantial gain off the rear deck glass if its shaped like i think) and do a ported box tuned a little higher..say mid to high 30's should net you a mid to high 140 score at least while still being able to sound like it should when you want.

GCAdidas13
07-11-2005, 12:12 AM
Yeah it's a standard rear glass... 1995 Toyota Camry.

I might as well try 5 cubes sealed. Just to see how I like it. Not do anything fancy, just make the box out of unfinished MDF and throw it up on the rear deck like I want to.

If that's not loud enough for me I'll do something crazy like 8 cubes or whatever tuned low.

(...i cant believe someone made me change my mind that quickly...)

But I guess it's either do that or let these subs sit here on my bedroom floor all beautiful-like :D

Let me know what you think I should do!

THX!!!

audiolife
07-11-2005, 12:19 AM
that will still get extremely loud sealed. my atlas broke my box lol not on a joint either it broke in the middle of a side panel so i gotta patch it lol not kidding either

GCAdidas13
07-11-2005, 12:21 AM
Rediculous. I'll resin the inside of my box just for kicks. I have so much from me and req's purchase! I think I have over 2gal PLUS whatever I had left from my second gallon for my set of four kicks.

audiolife
07-11-2005, 12:28 AM
i resined mine too mine broke 3 inches over my wire cup 3/4" away from the back wall lol so now if i jam on it it beats the hell outa the back side of my truck (just behind the door.)

GCAdidas13
07-11-2005, 12:33 AM
ouch man

how much / what kind of experience do you have in car audio? Just curious

audiolife
07-11-2005, 04:51 AM
in it since 89, first car was done by a local that took 3rd in usac sq world finals, second car by a local shopfound a new shop re did that car (94ish) loved it went to college for eet (electronics engineering technologies) redid that car again see pic. got in a head on crash totaled that so i bought the car in the thread http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=97234. took 4th at sbn 2nd at midwest regionals. after that i worked in sales at a place called lehmans. was doing good there but me and pat (same one from kinetik) started a 12 volt distributorship. we then became reps for kove audio art us amps....didnt make too much money (at the time we needed kicker or rf to make bank) so i went back into retail. worked with chris norris for a year quit that took a long vacation and started at best buy (lol) stayed there for 3 years quit because i got tired of driving 96 miles a day (was mecp certified installer lol) the place that did those 2 cars of mine were the people who had the "perfect 40" oz backseat driver car kirk was also won 1 or 2 national installer of the year awards (way cool guy and you wouldnt know what he did if you met him) i started my own shop reluctantly with 1 guy i knew from bby that feel through because they wanted to get paid before the store had product lol so we just quit while we were almost even (i also had 0 control of $) i also worked for pat at his shop well before this...as a rep i worked for a guy you may know as steve stern of meca. besides ditzy women (only reason i ever got out of car audio for any time only kept me out for maybe 6 months at a time lol) i been doing it for a while been to ces and iasca and usac finals... alot of stuff i dont have room nor time to mention and would probably take me a few hours to remember anyhow lol

theCybe
07-11-2005, 09:33 AM
Holy run-on sentence batman

squeak9798
07-11-2005, 09:43 AM
that will still get extremely loud sealed. my atlas broke my box lol not on a joint either it broke in the middle of a side panel so i gotta patch it lol not kidding either

Hey, you figured out what that pop sound was :D ( :( ??)

BTW, audiolife has a nice collection of trophys from competitions in his room.......I checked them out this weekend :)

But, anyways, I agree with audiolife on the keeping them sealed thing.

audiolife
07-11-2005, 02:43 PM
Holy run-on sentence batman
lol i was searching for that pic. besides that it was 5 am when i posted that lirerailly 30 seconds before i went to bed lol

nismboy6986
07-12-2005, 04:45 PM
i might try the same with one ava 15. since its in a compact car with a short rear deck i'll have to have the the box pointing up with the sub angled. and make a 4 sided "chamber" to seal it off from the trunk. that should be louder than it is know right (front firing/sealed off)

jacko
07-12-2005, 06:31 PM
welll... I'm gonna say wtf you have 2 avalanche 15's, don't downplay them... why even deal with the rear deck anymore... just take out the backseat. I wouldn't get rid of the rear deck however, it is really a structual part of the car, the only thing left would be the C pillars, roof, and floor from the B pillars back. Then put the amps and make a nice amp rack where the back seat bottom cushions would go and floor of the back seat, maybe storage. And viola. You have a decently sized trunk left, and a 2 seater camry.

GCAdidas13
07-12-2005, 09:37 PM
i can't seat 2 people in a daily driver. i need four, just in case. especially i'm 18 so more people room is necessary

GTonDubs
07-13-2005, 04:14 AM
if your mounting the subs in the rear deck, make the ports go through the rear deck, that **** would hit

GCAdidas13
07-13-2005, 07:03 PM
if your mounting the subs in the rear deck, make the ports go through the rear deck, that **** would hit
i'm actually going sealed for the first go around, but i'm leaving 7" of baffle between the subs so I could make a port there if it becomes necessary.

audiolife
07-13-2005, 07:11 PM
just put a port in to start with but recess it so you can put a plug in it. do it all at once. will save you alot of trouble later.

GCAdidas13
07-13-2005, 07:33 PM
i think i'll just take the chance of liking it with 5 cubes sealed

audiolife
07-14-2005, 08:50 AM
i think i'll just take the chance of liking it with 5 cubes sealed
lol no balls now? :p:

GCAdidas13
07-14-2005, 01:33 PM
lol you can still do it (the plug) although with what you have and want to do i would question to why.... you have excellent speakers and you want to turn it into a street humper only car. when you get everything going ill put 20 bucks up that you wont like a low tuned vented box mated up with the rest of your system lol i dont care "how sq" the woofer with any mid output level or above it will get muddy UNLIKE the rest of the system. those woofers can go large sealed so why not do it (you will get a substantial gain off the rear deck glass if its shaped like i think) and do a ported box tuned a little higher..say mid to high 30's should net you a mid to high 140 score at least while still being able to sound like it should when you want.

ack! which one do you want me to do!

audiolife
07-14-2005, 06:39 PM
its not up to me basically i know you would like its sound better in sealed but i also know you want a street humper to. this would do both and would show you the major differences rath quickly