PDA

View Full Version : Hmmmmm..

bigred78797
07-08-2005, 10:15 PM
Anyone here ever use 8"s as Mids???

Im thinking that because of my new sub system that it will completely drown out my stock mids and highs. I mean with my old system they couldn't keep up with my subs.

I wanted to know if people have used 8's for mids cuz i like to go over board... in everything i do.

Another question should i run 3 sets of speakers.. 8's for low mids... 6.5's for mid mids and low highs and tweets for high highs???

Help me out, i rarely do component and tweeter setups so im a lil fuzzy on my stuff.

squeak9798
07-08-2005, 10:25 PM
Anyone here ever use 8"s as Mids???

Im thinking that because of my new sub system that it will completely drown out my stock mids and highs. I mean with my old system they couldn't keep up with my subs.

I wanted to know if people have used 8's for mids cuz i like to go over board... in everything i do.

Using 8's as midbass is a very, very common thing. In fact, there are many 3-way comp sets that come with 8's as the midbass

Another question should i run 3 sets of speakers.. 8's for low mids... 6.5's for mid mids and low highs and tweets for high highs???

You'll never find an 8 that will play high enough to mate with a tweeter.....plus, if you played an 8" too high would run into a ton of beaming issues. So, your options with 8" mids are to either run a 3-way comp set or mate the 8's with some horns.

If you are running a 3-way comp set, you don't have to limit yourself to 6.5" midranges. You can use anywhere from a 6.5" as a midrange, to a 2" dome midrange. Then, obviously, a tweeter

DLS Iridium 8.3 3-way set sounds like something you should look into. The DLS Iridum 8" is supposed to kick major *** in terms of accuracy, tonality, output and low frequency extension

bigred78797
07-08-2005, 10:35 PM
So i couldn't do Like RE 8's in the rear deck then buy some Horn Tweets or reg dome tweets and have like something else to fill in the rest. Or would that sound like crap? I will probrably be running these of a really good 6 channel amp... Prolly the Audiobahn 6601 because im very familiar with it and know that it's good. Oh btw what's "BEAMING".

squeak9798
07-08-2005, 10:46 PM
So i couldn't do Like RE 8's

Well, the RE8's are subs and were designed to be used as such. Even RE will advise you not to use them as midbass.

Look elsewhere for an 8" midbass driver :)

in the rear deck

You do not want your main midbass drivers behind you. You want them up front with you, down in the lower front portion of the door (where most stock mids are).

"Ideal" locations for a 3-way frontstage are midbass in the lower front doors, and midranges and tweets in the kickpanels.

then buy some Horn Tweets or reg dome tweets

Don't buy horn tweeters. I was talking actual HLCD (horn loaded compression drivers) like you get from Image Dynamics or USD.

Dome tweeters would work if you went for a 3-way setup, however.

and have like something else to fill in the rest.

Yup, for a 3-way you'd need a smaller midrange to fill in between the midbass and the tweeter.

If you went with HLCD, nothing else would be needed. Just the 8" midbass and the horn.

Or would that sound like crap?

With my noted modifications above, proper driver selection (if you go active/DIY) and proper setup/tuning it could sound good ;)

Oh btw what's "BEAMING".

Basically it's where the speaker starts to exhibit horrible off axis response. Think of a flashlight; when the speaker begins to "beam" the sound is "focused" like the beam of a flashlight. Obviously since almost all speakers are mounted in car audio to where we are off axis from them, you can see how this would pose a problem.

Beaming occurs when the soundwave of the frequency is smaller than the diameter of the cone. So, the larger the speaker, the sooner in the frequency range beaming occurs.

3.5Max6spd
07-08-2005, 10:48 PM
i'll be installing my 8's in a 2way setup tomorrow, I'll be posting some pics/feedback....if you have a fast volume tweeter that plays low enough its possible, look into DIY home and car drivers that have capable midrange. Dyn 170's, Morel USA WR8, Morel Israel HCW8's, Morel Elate 9" mids, Diamond D9 9" mids, PG Elites....are a few car appl. mids that come to mind

BTW DLS makes a 2 way 8" Iridium set

squeak9798
07-08-2005, 10:49 PM
Yes, it's "possible"....but IMHO it's better to go 3-way with mids that large.

3.5Max6spd
07-08-2005, 10:52 PM
Yes, it's "possible"....but IMHO it's better to go 3-way with mids that large.

It dont hurt to try....I had the pleasure of hearing the 9" Morel Elate 2way set in a last gen Vette a few weeks back....I was very impressed, midrange was astounding to boot

bigred78797
07-08-2005, 10:58 PM
Thx for all the help... I'm guessing Diamond audio makes decent sets and such? After i FINALLY get my subs in i should have about 700 bucks to play with... what would you all suggest...

squeak9798
07-08-2005, 11:00 PM
I'd suggest doing major research before you drop $700 on speakers :)

creater
07-08-2005, 11:10 PM
true $700 is a lot...you should make sure you spend and have a little left over cause you'll never know what else u'll need in the end...
go with the 3 way setup :up2somet: ...it'll sound great for around $700

3.5Max6spd
07-08-2005, 11:12 PM
Thx for all the help... I'm guessing Diamond audio makes decent sets and such? After i FINALLY get my subs in i should have about 700 bucks to play with... what would you all suggest...

def get out there and listen to as much as you can before dropping that kind of coin...The reason.i suggested the DIY route being the most inexpensive to experiment in a car. For example if you can fit some dAyton Reference 8's, positively reviewed by many for example to outperform most drivers out there,a pair will set you back ~$100 as long as you have amplifier channels available to go active.

bigred78797
07-08-2005, 11:13 PM
Alrighty ill actually read the "component speakers" portion of the Loudspeaker design Cookbook to get a better understanding. Then ill see what' will suit my needs best. Hopefully save some :greedy:

creater
07-08-2005, 11:15 PM
i have 2 8" nippon america speaks that i use 60hz-120hz...they sound alright cause i mean nippon america aint exactly the best...and i have 2 6.5 nipps playing mid-highs...and then there are 2 pyramid gold tweets...this setup is kinda alright at the fact that the speaks all came with the car...but it aint half bad...so if you have $700 bucks to drop on a 3 way setup then that'll surely sound awesome

Starky
07-09-2005, 12:32 AM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/stark1177/custominstal004.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/stark1177/custominstal002.jpg

thats my 8...I want a different 8 though, one that takes 300+ watts

pwnt by pat
07-09-2005, 12:35 AM
midbass needs to be stereo, though

Starky
07-09-2005, 12:37 AM
seems to work for me, just fine....at around 135, I cant tell

stones
07-09-2005, 12:54 AM
A long time ago one of the members here had a Pheonix Gold cyclone (the tube with a motorised fan in it). The sub had limited response into the upper subbass regions so he used a pair of JL audio 8w0's for midbass. He absolutely loved how it sounded.
Just wish I could remember who that was.

squeak9798
07-09-2005, 01:30 AM
Yeah, the Cyclones are pretty worthless above 50hz. Many people would run two sets of subs and only use the Cyclone for the bottom most octave.

Also; Don't do what Starky did ;) No offense Starky; you very well may like it just fine. But midbass does need to be in stereo.