PDA

View Full Version : Speaker stands?

JimJ
07-05-2005, 01:40 PM
Might be looking for some speaker stands soon...they have to be very heavy, and able to support a 50 pound cabinet (think of a powered PA cabinet for size and weight)

Any ideas? I know PE sells a heavy-duty one for a buck twenty or so, but I was wondering if anyone had any plans for building a better/heavier one. Might just have to go downstairs and come up with my own design. I need 16 to 24 inches of height, haven't decided yet.

PV Audio
07-05-2005, 02:21 PM
i'd do it urself out of 1" mdf. have a base then build a rectangular prism on top of it, brace it, then have metal piping running through it connected to a piece of sheet metal that is attached to the top of the prism

vettelovr1124
07-08-2005, 02:21 AM
Just build your own. Then you can tell everyone that you built them yourself.:)

When I made mine, I used 1" mdf and a few pvc pipes I had lying around the garage. It was pretty darn sturdy.

JimJ
07-08-2005, 02:28 AM
The speaker design I ended up with shouldn't need stands...so I think I'm good. At close to 100lbs each, they should be pretty **** well damped by themselves.

Vettelover...do you have first-year orientation at Tech soon? Or did you already have it...I can't remember. Reason I ask is because I'll be in B'burg next weekend, trying to find a place to live...**** housing regs. They really make it difficult for anyone but freshmen to live on campus, and the quality of the "college" apartments, in a word, *****. I'll probably end up living outside of town somewhere.

vettelovr1124
07-08-2005, 02:32 AM
Vettelover...do you have first-year orientation at Tech soon? Or did you already have it...I can't remember. Reason I ask is because I'll be in B'burg next weekend, trying to find a place to live...**** housing regs. They really make it difficult for anyone but freshmen to live on campus, and the quality of the "college" apartments, in a word, *****. I'll probably end up living outside of town somewhere.
Orientation is the 25th and 26th for me.

JimJ
07-08-2005, 02:41 AM
That sounds about right. I had forgotten what weekends it was...all I remember is that it was hot as hell, and the fathers there gave me the evil eye for staring at their daughter's ****.

Once I get a place and most of my **** moved up, we need to have a small western VA CA.com meet :) I might not have an SPL meter, but I've got enough home audio stuff to play around with...

vettelovr1124
07-08-2005, 12:31 PM
That sounds about right. I had forgotten what weekends it was...all I remember is that it was hot as hell, and the fathers there gave me the evil eye for staring at their daughter's ****.

Once I get a place and most of my **** moved up, we need to have a small western VA CA.com meet :) I might not have an SPL meter, but I've got enough home audio stuff to play around with...
Ahh yeah. :veryhapp:

Beat_Dominator
07-09-2005, 01:16 AM
Build it out of a 4x4 post or something. Then sand-stain to match the cabinets.

PV Audio
07-09-2005, 01:38 AM
what'd i tell u bout that 1" heh