PDA

View Full Version : go ported or not?

pearldrummer
07-04-2005, 02:49 PM
i have a pair of 12" oz audio martix elites powered by a directed audio 1100d and i built a fiberglass box for them and it is around 3 cu ft. on the website it recommends 1 cu ft sealed and 1.5 cu ft ported with a 4" x 10.5" round port.

right now it is sealed and it doesnt sound as good as i think they should.

so i was wondering if anyone has heard the oz me's ported.

it wouldnt be hard to just add in two rounds ports to easily get the 10.5 inches.

or i could just chop off the front part of the box and take off around 1 cu ft to make it closer to the recommended sealed volume.

BassAddictJ
07-04-2005, 03:12 PM
Ppooorrttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!

PhatTonyDeMarco
07-04-2005, 03:18 PM
Agreed, if the box is that much larger than what is reccomended for a sealed enclosure, then just drop in some ports.

pearldrummer
07-04-2005, 03:50 PM
cool. i have a few hours before i have to work i think ill do it now. if i dont like how it sounds can i just put a new baffle on to cover the holes where the ports were?

PhatTonyDeMarco
07-04-2005, 03:59 PM
cool. i have a few hours before i have to work i think ill do it now. if i dont like how it sounds can i just put a new baffle on to cover the holes where the ports were?

Yeah, but I cant imagine you wouldnt like the ported sound against what you have now. That box is just too big to be sealed.

audiolife
07-04-2005, 04:15 PM
depends what you like. in most cases ported gets sloppy as compared to sealed though. in the box you have now you are hearing probably every beat. when you port it some of those beats will run together but in your favor the oz subs are low q and even sound amazing in bandpass believe it or not lol.

pearldrummer
07-04-2005, 04:40 PM
depends what you like. in most cases ported gets sloppy as compared to sealed though. in the box you have now you are hearing probably every beat. when you port it some of those beats will run together but in your favor the oz subs are low q and even sound amazing in bandpass believe it or not lol.

it is kind of sloppy right now. when i listen to fast death metal stuff the hits come together so in a ported i dont think it would be much different.

audiolife
07-04-2005, 04:44 PM
if its sloppy now id check for air leaks aound the sub.

pearldrummer
07-04-2005, 04:47 PM
if its sloppy now id check for air leaks aound the sub.

i did. i found one and i fixed it. but ill check again. im not going to have time to play with it anymore today becuase i have to work til midnight but i can tomorrow when i get off work.

pearldrummer
07-06-2005, 09:57 PM
ok, im going to go and get the pipe so i can put in the ports. i figure, why not, if i dont like it then i can just take them out and make a new baffle.

SSS 18734
07-06-2005, 09:58 PM
DO IT!!! I ported my 2000SPL's and output increased CONSIDERABALLY. I used to listen to them at +2 on my head unit sealed, now I listen to it at -6 and it often feels a little excessive

bcarpenterfhl
07-06-2005, 10:10 PM
call me crazy, but i dont think porting the box will cure the "slopiness". what i would do first is put something in the box that will displace ~0.5 cF and is removeable. if that doesnt help, then experiment with porting it. dont forget to account for port displacement (the ports will bring the box well under 3 cF). Post what frequency your going for and the diameter of the port(s) you are trying to use, and i will gladly figure out how long your ports will need to be after their displacements.

pearldrummer
07-06-2005, 10:20 PM
call me crazy, but i dont think porting the box will cure the "slopiness". what i would do first is put something in the box that will displace ~0.5 cF and is removeable. if that doesnt help, then experiment with porting it. dont forget to account for port displacement (the ports will bring the box well under 3 cF). Post what frequency your going for and the diameter of the port(s) you are trying to use, and i will gladly figure out how long your ports will need to be after their displacements.

im not really trying to cure the sloppiness i guess, i just want to see how it sounds ported.

could i just throw a piece of mdf in there to see how it sounds? and if i like that sound better, would i have to fiberglass it in or how would i do that? because the bottom is all wavy to the shape of the spare tire well.

and about the ports, i was just going to go with the recommended port on the site, it was 4"x 10.5" for the round port.

bcarpenterfhl
07-06-2005, 10:25 PM
they probably recommend 2 4 x 10.5 in 3 cF ports for the two subs. the problem is, you're not going to have 3 cF after displacement. and is sub displacement included in the 3 cubes you already have?

pearldrummer
07-06-2005, 10:32 PM
hahaha yeah that would be 2 of them, man i hate working at 5 in the morning.

and i think the box was about 2.8 after displacement, ill go figure it out now though.

Thanks for helping me out.

pearldrummer
07-06-2005, 10:49 PM
ok the box is a hair under 2.5 after displacement. for some reason i thought it was bigger. hmmmm.

should i try to port it still or should i seal off one of the parts?

FOSGATE JOE
07-06-2005, 11:14 PM
Don't port it. If you and the 2 pvc 4inch to you' re box it will make you're box smaller then what it is and you will not get the tune you want i t to be so make a new box!! sorry to give you the bad news

pearldrummer
07-06-2005, 11:26 PM
Don't port it. If you and the 2 pvc 4inch to you' re box it will make you're box smaller then what it is and you will not get the tune you want i t to be so make a new box!! sorry to give you the bad news

maybe i will just make a new box. it would give me some more practice with fiberglass. hmmmm. it is summer so i have some time to play with my car.

bcarpenterfhl
07-07-2005, 03:14 PM

even though his box is smaller, he'll still be able to tune it to whatever he wants. it may just be a lot smaller than he wanted, it may not. its all gonna depend on how much the port displaces.

FOSGATE JOE
07-07-2005, 10:18 PM
even though his box is smaller, he'll still be able to tune it to whatever he wants. it may just be a lot smaller than he wanted, it may not. its all gonna depend on how much the port displaces.if it isn't to at lest the subs specs for ported how will he get a good sq tuning like he ask for??he can't it will just fart at best with what ever tuning he does ;)