PDA

View Full Version : Eclipse 8454 or Pioneer deh-8500mp?

BassAddictJ
06-29-2005, 04:32 PM
got a deal on both of them...looking at 290 for the eclipse and 220 for the pioneer....i'd rather spend less and get more bells and wistles...but for 290 would it be worth it to get the eclipse? i want great SQ with some bells andwhistles...would the pioneer sound good enough or woud the elcipse dominate? 4 volt pioneer with tons of bells and whistles vs the 8v elcipse with audiophile stuff...................grrrrrrrrr right nwo im leaning more towards the eclipse....

JAZN
06-29-2005, 05:06 PM
uhh eclipse no doubt whatsoever.
290 is a helluva deal too.

adam71
06-29-2005, 05:35 PM
If those 2 are your only choices then I would definitely take the Eclipse. Not for SQ reasons as some might think. But for the simple reason that Pioneer is still getting 840s, 8400s, 8500s, 850s back with the ribbon cable problem. They pretty much fixed the problem when they launched the 9600/960 but there were alot of those other decks out in circulation and they are still trickling into the Pioneer dealers with problems.

So basically, stay away from the older dual-face decks, if they haven't messed up yet they still may eventually.

3.5Max6spd
06-29-2005, 05:48 PM
Eclipse....that 8500mp falls short to it in everyway in the 'goods' dept

JLCivic
06-29-2005, 10:12 PM
Eclipse

adam71
06-30-2005, 12:56 AM
Eclipse....that 8500mp falls short to it in everyway in the 'goods' dept

So I assume you've heard both of these decks then??

BassAddictJ
06-30-2005, 01:01 AM
no here's my new delima.............plans changed....... the eclipse or a jensen 7inch flip out deck for 400 like new.....ebay has em for like 550-600 new/used.....not sur eif it's the 9410 or the 9510 7inch fli out...grr decsions....

unrealii
06-30-2005, 03:27 AM
Depends what you want. Eclipse is a top quality manufacture of head units. Jensen is known for being a cheap brand. Looks or quality...

adam71
06-30-2005, 03:50 AM
no here's my new delima.............plans changed....... the eclipse or a jensen 7inch flip out deck for 400 like new.....ebay has em for like 550-600 new/used.....not sur eif it's the 9410 or the 9510 7inch fli out...grr decsions....

Thats almost like asking would I pick a watch made of plastic or one made of gold.

BassAddictJ
06-30-2005, 04:50 AM
thing is i really really rreally wanna an in dash TV...and to be honest with you guys....

SQ wise....the memphis 4ch amp i have and my diamond audio compents sound good even on ****** decks....so it'd still sound good on a jensen...and iget the flip out tv. :)

acousticguitar
06-30-2005, 05:33 AM
then just get the TV. :) cmon, if it sounds good enuf to you, why listen to everyone else wax eloquent about somethin gyou dont want/need?

newtitan
06-30-2005, 08:53 AM
lol you guys are funny ive heard both (well the 8454 and the p860mp--pioneers best deck other than the p9) and the eclispe is superior in SQ and controls

and to bassaddict if you cant tell the difference audibly I am firm believer that you shouldnt spend the money on the better parts no matter what anyone tells you

if you want a screen get a screen

supposedly this jensen

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32825&item=5784730573&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

has a screen pixel count as nice as the d901??? I read that somewhere over on ECA

wouldnt run myself due to longevity lol but hey they are cheap
and maybe its worth a try

good luck

3.5Max6spd
06-30-2005, 10:58 AM

yes i have- my dealer sells primarily Eclipse and Pioneer....

you may want to look up that model # on that pio, its really nothing special to compare with a high line Eclipse

adam71
06-30-2005, 11:00 AM
lol you guys are funny ive heard both (well the 8454 and the p860mp--pioneers best deck other than the p9) and the eclispe is superior in SQ and controls

Ummm......you forgot to add the prepositional phrase "in my opinion" on the end of that last sentence. But we'll let that slide. Pesonally I seriously doubt there is that much of a difference between the 860 and the 8454. I'm not saying the 8454 isn't a better deck but I think they're pretty close in quality.

adam71
06-30-2005, 11:05 AM
yes i have- my dealer sells primarily Eclipse and Pioneer....

you may want to look up that model # on that pio, its really nothing special to compare with a high line Eclipse

I know perfectly well what model # it is. My whole point was that with SQ aside the whole ribbon cable problem wasn't worth the risk. But the first thing you had to do was come to Eclipse's rescue or something like that when that deck doesn't need any defending. The 8454 speaks for itself.

3.5Max6spd
06-30-2005, 11:09 AM
Ummm......you forgot to add the prepositional phrase "in my opinion" on the end of that last sentence. But we'll let that slide. Pesonally I seriously doubt there is that much of a difference between the 860 and the 8454. I'm not saying the 8454 isn't a better deck but I think they're pretty close in quality.

At least the man is speaking from experience having used both. While you have no experience with Eclipse.

Lets not get off topic...

BTW this thread is about the DEH8500mp which is a washed down version of the 9600....its a 1bit dac, 4v deck no frills deck with ,as you said, a history of motorized face problems. Its a nice deck, just not comparable to an audiophile quality deck.

adam71
06-30-2005, 11:19 AM
At least the man is speaking from experience having used both. While you have no experience with Eclipse.

Excuse me, do you know me or something?? Have you hung out with me over the years and know what decks I've had.?? No sir, you haven't and as a matter of fact I have a little experience with Eclipse and I have a friend who owns a 8053. (best deck Eclipse ever made in my opinion) The Eclipse I had broke down me 3 times before I gave up on it. Luckily it came with a 3 year warranty and I never had to pay for any repairs. Since then I've owned 1 Alpine, 1 Denon and the rest have been Pioneer.

Lets not get off topic...

BTW this thread is about the DEH8500mp which is a washed down version of the 9600....its a 1bit dac, 4v deck no frills deck with ,as you said, a history of motorized face problems. Its a nice deck, just not comparable to an audiophile quality deck.

I agree I was a bit off topic but the other guy said he compared a 8454 to a 860 which is why I responded. Audiophile grade is a very subjective term and I won't even open that can of worms and ruin the thread anymore than I already have.

99StangGt
06-30-2005, 11:24 AM
I have had both. I had the 8454 then went to the 860. now im going back to the 8454. The 860 was good but i didnt like the controls. The 8454 has more options with it. The memory stick can be nice. SQ they run about the same. I just find that the 8454 is easier to use when im driving. The 860 has better screen savers, if that is what your into. by the way dont get the 8500 if your going to get a pioneer get the 860, IMO

adam71
06-30-2005, 11:32 AM
I have had both. I had the 8454 then went to the 860. now im going back to the 8454. The 860 was good but i didnt like the controls. The 8454 has more options with it. The memory stick can be nice. SQ they run about the same. I just find that the 8454 is easier to use when im driving. The 860 has better screen savers, if that is what your into. by the way dont get the 8500 if your going to get a pioneer get the 860, IMO

Well, if that deck works better for you then by all means use that one. After all, ease of use is very important. I agree on the SQ being pretty equal. I myself never used much of the features of my 860 other than the screen savers and time alignment.

3.5Max6spd
06-30-2005, 12:06 PM
Excuse me, do you know me or something?? Have you hung out with me over the years and know what decks I've had.??
Nope, nor do I care to....

;)BTW you questioned my opinion first....

Then you proceed to question newtitan's..... as if you are some sort of 'opinion' police...

Ummm......you forgot to add the prepositional phrase "in my opinion" on the end of that last sentence. But we'll let that slide.

No one has to indicate to you, that what they state based on personal experience is their opinion....ITS OBVIOUS!!!! That what posts are presented next to a user name;)

But the first thing you had to do was come to Eclipse's rescue or something like that when that deck doesn't need any defending.

^^^Meanwhile you personally question other people who've made an educated personal suggestion based on actual use anytime Eclipse is compared to a Pio....wtf...
And ***** up Eclipse theads like a school girl with your 'ugly' comments .....very constructive of you...

The 8454 speaks for itself.
It does, BUT THE POSTER is not too aware of it, since he's comparing a flagship deck to a middle of the line Pio deck and is asking for OPINIONS and info...

So if you feel a certain way, avoid quoting other peoples comments and simply post your feelings and keep it moving.

adam71
06-30-2005, 12:32 PM
Nope, nor do I care to....

;)BTW you questioned my opinion first....

Then you proceed to question newtitan's..... as if you are some sort of 'opinion' police...

No one has to indicate to you, that what they state based on personal experience is their opinion....ITS OBVIOUS!!!! That what posts are presented next to a user name;)

^^^Meanwhile you personally question other people who've made an educated personal suggestion based on actual use anytime Eclipse is compared to a Pio....wtf...
And ***** up Eclipse theads like a school girl with your 'ugly' comments .....very constructive of you...

It does, BUT THE POSTER is not too aware of it, since he's comparing a flagship deck to a middle of the line Pio deck and is asking for OPINIONS and info...

So if you feel a certain way, avoid quoting other peoples comments and simply post your feelings and keep it moving.

Blah, Blah, Blah, blah blah..........are you done yet princess.??

unrealii
06-30-2005, 12:34 PM
My local goodguys is clearancing out an eclipse 3 series, single slot, flip out screen & brain for $800. Might want to check the one near you and see if they have that going on.

newtitan
06-30-2005, 02:25 PM
yall are funny man :) thx for the backup though 3.5 and 99 stang

I too didnt think eclipse was all that and was overpirced and overhyped till I tried one lol

what I have learned if it worth anything to anyone reading this

is that yes SQ is VERy subjective

but build quality, internal componenets, and proccessing are not

and there just isnt a better OVERALL single din hu/processor on the market better than the eclispe series

whether you can "hear" the difference is up to ones preferences--but I have used the p860 (pioneers best deck rightnow), the alpine 9835 (alpine best deck lol) and now the 8454

and there just isnt any comparison OVERALL

I liked the pioneers color screen (but it got drowned out in the sun all the time)

I like the alpines cosmetics and detach face, and ipod control--but the radio ****** and it didnt play all my cdrs all the time, and getting through all the tweaking menus was a hassle sometimes sicne there was only one button to do it all

defintely not the easiest while driving

the 8454 sounds the best to me, has the best build qaulity and has the most sound control --but it also takes some time memorizing the functions, and reading the manual is a must---and no detach face and you must get rid if that knob remote LOL with the 2005 version

the ONLY reason im selling my 8454 is so that I try out my h701 processor in a full 3 way 5.1 setup

if eclipse had someting similiar I would never turn back (that and I dont like the cosmetics of the new one)

hope it helps someone out as Im only one dude

chadillac3

is also a very good source as he has used a bunch of these deck also

he for one hated the 8454 lol and likes the 9835 the best

heres a really good thread form eca on the the 9835/p860

http://forum.elitecaraudio.com/showthread.php?threadid=102842

SO LETS KEEP THiS CIVIL :) :) :)
and to bassaddict I got your pm, but your box is full

so heres my response

good luck with that jensen man :)

id get a extended warranty if I were you

jensens is not known for electronic longevity :)

just a jeads up