PDA

View Full Version : Alpine 9830, Making my MB Quart Components Clip???

Pookie1986
06-27-2005, 05:21 PM
Hows it going guys,

I searched the froums to see if i could find the answer but to no avail. anyways, i seem to be having a problem with my headunit. Its a alpine 9830. Let me explain my setup then i'll explain the problem. My setup is as follows.

JL Audio 500/1 Powering 2 12" JL W3v2s
JL Audio 300/2 Powering a MB Quart PCE 216 6.5" Component set.
I have 0 Gauge wire ran through the car with a 1 Farhid Capacitor in the back.

Just so i get this across all the wiring is correct all the right amount of power is going to the amps. now on to the problem. now the subs work PERFECT, but my Mb quart set for some reason when i turn it up is clipping at higher volumes... now when i say high volumes i mean like 22, 23, 24... Now if your familiar with alpine units you know that thats like the optimum volume range, Where it doesnt sound distorted or anything. Its just when i look in the trunk at the crossovers the white fuse up top is lighting up. sometimes alot, depending on the songs and base notes. Now i've tried having the radio with a flat eq and nothing turned on.. It still does it. Then i tried tuning it everyway possible and yet it still clipped. I tried the HPFs i've tried pretty much everything. I did change my headunit for a while to a kenwood i had, and it worked great, the only thing is i really like my alpine and i would rather use it than the kenwood. Now is that clipping normal or am i doing something wrong? o and also i have the 300/2 on HP filtering, with the filter at like 120 Hertz. Some help would be greatly appreciated, cause i'm really frustrated right now... :mad:

--Pookie

3.5Max6spd
06-27-2005, 06:33 PM
when you say 'clipping', what exactly is happening? the amp cuts off?

noob with an RS
06-27-2005, 06:58 PM
im going to say this before one of the known smart guys say this: speakers don't clip!! the signals do!!! and the last thing that produces the signal is the amplifier! but u havent even begun to describe what u mean by "it sounds like its clipping" and what the hell is the "white fuse in the trunk that lights up" about? i think some more in-depth information is needed.

Pookie1986
06-27-2005, 07:38 PM
Ok the "White Fuse" is in the crossover. i'm assuming that you know what a crossover looks like... the Mb quart ones have a fuse at the top of the crossover that protects the speaker from "clipping" or i guess pushing too low of a frequency through it... what i wanna know is how to stop that.. i dont know how else to explain it... its not that the speakers cut out cause they dont... that fuse lights up alot though and i know thats not good...

--Pookie

Here is a picture maybe this will Help Clarify (http://www.caraudio.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=3844&stc=1)

noob with an RS
06-27-2005, 07:55 PM
ohh ok so youre referring to the crossover modules of the component speakers. mine doesnt have a fuse (i have infinity components) but i bet thats some sort of indicator. i think when theres a certain amount of power going to the components that light will blink. if it really is a fuse (which ive never heard of myself being in crossovers) than i dont think youll have to worry about them blowing becuz that fuse will blow when a certain power amount is reached and you will be able to replace the fuse and know not to go over the limit. when u reach the volumes of "clipping" does the sound start to distort or sound weird at all?? if not, then i really think you have nothing to worry about at all. its just a light if thats all that youre worried about and my guess would be that the alpine has higher pre-out voltages than your kenwood does which is why the light doesnt seem to blink as much as when the alpine is hooked up.

forbidden
06-28-2005, 03:52 PM
The white fuse in the crossover is actually.........a lightbulb. It is there to protect the tweeter from being destroyed. When the output is such that there is enough dc detected on the line, Mr. Lightbulb turns on to help dissipate this dc and keep Mr. Tweeter doing his job. This light bulb is designed to come on, don't worry about it.