PDA

View Full Version : 6.5" components w/ less then 2" mounting depth

Stillmatic22
06-27-2005, 12:19 PM
I finally got around to installing my CDT's (cl-62's, wanted the ef's but they were on backorder). So I installed the x-overs first, then tried to hook up the woofer and FCUK. The woofer is to deep, I don't wanna make rings cause I wanna use my factory grill (00 civic coupe).

Recommend me some components with a mounting depth of around 2" or so. My kappa's had a mounting depth of 2 and 3/16's, and they fit fine.

BTW: the CDT's are for sale (they are brand new) $150 shipped in the 48 contigous states. Paypal add 3%

PM me if interested

squeak9798
06-27-2005, 12:22 PM
Budget?

Stillmatic22
06-27-2005, 12:35 PM
Budget?

No more than $200 shipped

I like the sounds of the new CDT ef neo's, but don't wanna wait for them to come out.

audiolife
06-27-2005, 12:37 PM
i know i put some kenwood dual mags in a 00 civic before dont remember if i had any "troubles" but at best buy you cant do anything too drastic lol

3.5Max6spd
06-27-2005, 02:06 PM
can you fit at lest a 1/2" ring? Illusion audio is expected to have their new stuff out this month sometime

2.10" depth on the 6" driver, 1.7" on the 5.25"

andy1234
06-27-2005, 02:14 PM
if you dont wany to make a ring use bolts like i had to lol

adam71
06-27-2005, 03:27 PM
The new ThunderAxe High End components from MTX have a mounting depth of 2-1/4" but they have a msrp of $450 so its a ways out of your price range.

Stillmatic22
06-27-2005, 05:29 PM
Thanks for all the replys guys. Anyone else

Doesn't have to be under 2 inches, a lil bit over is fine bout 2 1/4"

audiolife
06-27-2005, 05:42 PM
those thunderaxes are suposed to be pretty decent but i have yet to hear them. they used to have some on ebay but i dont see any now

Justintoxicated
06-27-2005, 05:48 PM
The Excelon Dualmags are good sounding speakers with short mount depth, Not alot of midbass from my experience with the older ones but what do you expect? They use real small but real powerful magnets. At least I was impressed with them a few years ago. They are the smallest depth components I have sceen.

audiolife
06-27-2005, 06:05 PM
The Excelon Dualmags are good sounding speakers with short mount depth, Not alot of midbass from my experience with the older ones but what do you expect? They use real small but real powerful magnets. At least I was impressed with them a few years ago. They are the smallest depth components I have sceen.
lol only way they wont have at least decent midbass is if you install them like we had to at best buy lol. couldnt use decent cutters (we had air cutters that didnt work) so if we cut it was by hand and no saws to even make abs baffles lol :furious: lol left alot to be desired imo of course there it ment more to get 3 cars done an hour than actually taking your time and doing your best work

Justintoxicated
06-27-2005, 06:50 PM
yea the shop I had install them just screwed them into the doors with sheet metal screws lol, worst job I have ever had. The screws were not even uniform. When I sealed up my doors I didn't have them running on am amp. But I did like the way they sounded, but since the tweet blew I just ordered some Iridiums so hopefully they will be better. I was also Using the Old Purple Dual mags not the updated ones. Only problem I have had is the tweets have blown a bunch of times not sure why, last install they lasted for years but eventualy still blew, but the new version tweeters look compleatly different.

adam71
06-27-2005, 08:31 PM
of course there it ment more to get 3 cars done an hour than actually taking your time and doing your best work

That figures they would be like that. Those fvckin chains are all about slamming as many people or in their eyes (sales) in and out the door as possible. So they tie the hands of the install people and limit what they can do on an install??

audiolife
06-28-2005, 09:01 AM
to me they did lol for the longest time i was the only certified installer (mecp) that location had and i was the trouble shooter for EVERYONE yet i was treated like i was a newb because i spent 45 min doing headunits ad answering the phone and talking to customers lolol then they told me i had "stuff come back" on our reciets we have to put our initials on it to show we did the install and not very many of my stuff came back at all what it boiled down to was my time vs number of cars i installed on. i was transfered and made a senior at another best buy (should have been the sup not kidding they care more about unilateral sup movement over beiong able to do the cars. only things i wasnt good at were remote starts and i never had training on them until i had my own shop and applied what i knew but even at that i wouldnt want to do a sub 2 hour rush job there too much liability envolved to not do it right. im not saying all bby are like this but this one/two is/are was lol

Justintoxicated
06-28-2005, 01:06 PM
well it ****** for me and for them, since they had to fix my stuff like 5 times....From Bad Amplifiers to Setting it up wrong...Hell I didn't knw how to properly tune them myself but I at least knew enough to set the amp to HP instead of LP for my Dual Mags....The first amp they installed had a LP only filter on it! They were feeding my Dual Mags all Bass! I questioned them they said it would be fine. Thats when I decided to start learning to do things myself.

I broke the mount for the tweeter because I had trouble removing it, they screwed the tweeter flush mount into the doors sheet metal after cutting a hole in the pannel, then they glued the tweeter over the head on the sheet metal screw (in the base of the tweeter mount). So there was no way to remove the tweeter, mount, or door panel from my old truck without busting the mount into pieces first. mount screwed into door, and tweeter glued over the screw so there was no way to see it was bolted to the door, and i could not remove the door panel because of the screw from the tweeter!

Now don't get me wrong....I am NOT a fan of kenwood products but the dual mags were pretty **** clear for the price! I was impressed. not the loudest speakers in the world, but very efficient and they fit almost anywhere. Hell they even sound pretty good off my new HU (I have 1 tweet and 1 mid hooked to it right now while I wait for my Iridiums)

audiolife
06-28-2005, 01:57 PM
i can see this lol