PDA

View Full Version : alpine or pioneer componenets

MrSwiss
06-26-2005, 03:22 PM
referring to both companies top of the line 2 way, 6.5 components with optimal power, which ones will sound better?

Mackenzie
06-26-2005, 03:30 PM
alpine

MrSwiss
06-26-2005, 04:56 PM
anyone else?

kuijo
06-26-2005, 05:09 PM
Haven't heard either personally. But people say good things about the alpines and i've never heard anyone say a whole lot about the pioneers. This didn't help you out at all. Good luck. Id go with RE

MrSwiss
06-26-2005, 05:46 PM
re's prolly cost WAY more

Decipha
06-26-2005, 06:00 PM
i would listen to both and see which ones YOU like better

just because something sounds better to some one else doesn't mean its going to sound
as good to you, it's all about your liking, this is going in your ride not theirs.

If you can't listen to both then I would go with alpine (just me) I've had alot better
luck with alpine than pioneer, although im sure pioneer top line comps would be nice

adam71
06-26-2005, 06:08 PM
i would listen to both and see which ones YOU like better

just because something sounds better to some one else doesn't mean its going to sound
as good to you, it's all about your liking, this is going in your ride not theirs.

I agree with this guy, listening for yourself is the best way to make this type of decision. Alot of people make decisions based on what other people say for the simple reason that they don't trust their own ears. Once you trust your own ears you won't need recommendations anymore and life will be good.

On the other hand if you can't listen to either I would say it would be a toss up between those 2 brands. I'm sure they both offer good stuff and ****** stuff. But what exactly did you mean by "top line".?? Do you have some model numbers of each? That would tell us more so we could do comparisons. :D

audiolife
06-26-2005, 06:11 PM
lol he would be comparing like a 4500 dollar alpine f1 status set to a 400 dollar set of revs?

adam71
06-26-2005, 06:19 PM
lol he would be comparing like a 4500 dollar alpine f1 status set to a 400 dollar set of revs?

Do not forget about the PRS components my friend.

audiolife
06-26-2005, 06:34 PM
still a its not even close still well under a grand. the f1's sound nice but going back to reality i like the revs better than the x components. not that its an issue of one ***** and the other is that great . even though if you went by price more and likely be revs vs type r

adam71
06-26-2005, 06:49 PM
LOL......You're right that is a big difference. I wish Pioneer made something of that nature but I guess it wouldn't matter I wouldn't pay anywhere near that much for a comp set or any speakers for that matter. I myself am thinking about going with PRS comps soon since they can be found for much cheaper than msrp now a days.

Yeah, Swiss, check out what you could get the PRS for. If you could get your hands on them for a decent price you would not be disappointed. ;)

Give this link a try.

http://www.sbhcorp.com/scripts/homeSearchResult-52-20-46-2.html

MrSwiss
06-26-2005, 09:52 PM
for the pioneer's i was referring to the prs's 6.5. the ones with the yellow kevlar. im asking cuz i dont really go to shops and listen i just catch deals on ebay lol. for the alpine i was thinking type x components. ive seen the psr's in person but havent heard them, they look like a quality built speaker.

i was thinking of the psr's 6.5 components in the front and the 6x9's in the rear, but wanted some input on what alpine had to offer.

someone mentioned the RE components and those things look **** **** i admit. i wouldnt mind having those in my car either.

kuijo
06-26-2005, 10:25 PM
i think the RE RE's are fairly cheap, forgot the exact price. There should be a thread somwhere around here with the prices.

adam71
06-27-2005, 12:45 AM
for the pioneer's i was referring to the prs's 6.5. the ones with the yellow kevlar. im asking cuz i dont really go to shops and listen i just catch deals on ebay lol. for the alpine i was thinking type x components. ive seen the psr's in person but havent heard them, they look like a quality built speaker.

i was thinking of the psr's 6.5 components in the front and the 6x9's in the rear, but wanted some input on what alpine had to offer.

Well the Pioneer PRS line of speakers only consists of the 6 3/4" mids (TS-M7PRS), the 1-1/4" tweeters (TS-T3PRS) and the 12" subs (TS-W12PRS). You may be thinking of the REV series which includes 6 1/2" comps and 6x9s.

SteelWheel
06-27-2005, 01:02 AM
I agree that if someone has the opportunity to listen to similar setups that personally comparing the sound of speakers would be an important part of the search. And I know that this advice is given with the best of intentions.

However, having recently gone from soound shop to sound shop, none of which had fully operating soundboards, I am less than convinced that it is more important than getting input from the good people on this and similar boards who I believe, in many cases, are better informed (and abjective) than the salespeople they buyer will meet.

Furthermore, I don't know how anyone is supposed to tell very much by listening to any soundboard (as opposed to installed in someone's car). At best, you can get a general idea of what the speaker will sound like installed. Beyond that, its a guess IMHO.

I would advise doing a search on this board for the particular speaker you are thinking about buying.

Beyond that, I can tell you that I have been satisfied with the Alpine equiptment I have had in the past. I was not estatic, but then again, I only installed the most basic Alpine system. Overall, I think I received the SQ I was expecting and then a little more.

audiolife
06-27-2005, 05:21 AM
wont the prs need to be run as an active set?

MrSwiss
06-27-2005, 08:36 AM
Well the Pioneer PRS line of speakers only consists of the 6 3/4" mids (TS-M7PRS), the 1-1/4" tweeters (TS-T3PRS) and the 12" subs (TS-W12PRS). You may be thinking of the REV series which includes 6 1/2" comps and 6x9s.

maybe i am.
well the RE xxx comps go for 250$ i believe. but i dont think i can fit those monsters in my doors and they have to be ported wtf

audiolife
06-27-2005, 08:47 AM
look at a set of memphis mcsq's. it has a very forgiving mid bass (as to installation) and is a very detailed speaker set. not the loudest not the tintiest but nice. i have a set of mcsyncs and love them to death (went that way du to how i mounted mine)

squeak9798
06-27-2005, 10:51 AM
maybe i am.
well the RE xxx comps go for 250$ i believe. but i dont think i can fit those monsters in my doors and they have to be ported wtf

No, only the mids are ~$250. They presently do not offer the XXX in a full comp set; only the mids.

And no, the XXX mids don't need to be ported. IB, sealed or ported will all work well for them.

MrSwiss
06-27-2005, 03:05 PM
so could i theoretically spray some foam up in my door and it would act sealed??? =P

adam71
06-27-2005, 03:14 PM
wont the prs need to be run as an active set?

No, they actually make a crossover (UD-N2PRS) intended only for use with the M7 and the T3 but they (Pioneer) never sold the drivers with the x-overs as full component set. Which I think is nice for those of us who want to go active and don't need the passive. :D