PDA

View Full Version : what if you dont use enough Mek?

ruckus
06-25-2005, 11:18 PM
If your a little short on the MEK will the fiberglass harden? I think I Might have messed up. It was wicked hot today mid 90s, so I put 2/3 the hardener recommends now its been 3 hours and its still not dry, it is tacky but not as wet as it was. Will it eventually harden or if not can i fix it by putting another layer with resign with a little extra hardener tomorrow?

dbornotdb
06-25-2005, 11:29 PM
It will most likely be hard by morning. But if not, mix up a small batch with more than usual MEKP and spread it on and it will finish up the job. Only happen to me once and that is what I did.

chinny
06-25-2005, 11:34 PM
flour does the job

bigred78797
06-25-2005, 11:38 PM
Yeah i did the same thing... It had been over 4 days it was still tacky in some spots... All i did was get a brush and put some mecp on it and spread it over those spots... some places it worked some places it didn't... so i just layed another layer over it. It seemed fine, don't know how it will affect the structural integrity.. im not too worried as that was like the 6th or 7th layer. What does the flour do?

chinny
06-25-2005, 11:44 PM
Yeah i did the same thing... It had been over 4 days it was still tacky in some spots... All i did was get a brush and put some mecp on it and spread it over those spots... some places it worked some places it didn't... so i just layed another layer over it. It seemed fine, don't know how it will affect the structural integrity.. im not too worried as that was like the 6th or 7th layer. What does the flour do?

If you dont have enough mekp add flour and see for yuorself ;)

PhatTonyDeMarco
06-25-2005, 11:50 PM
Flour will absorb the extra moisture.

Edit- "In theory"... Not sure if it would actually work on fiberglass.

ruckus
06-26-2005, 12:36 AM
This is my first fiberglassing job so Im learning as I go. Hopefully it will be dry as I dont want to put another layer if possible ;) it doesnt need that many layers since its the bottom on a kick it will be pretty stable from the car structure. I also learned that plastic cups melt in 5-10 minutes of putting resin in it LOL

chinny
06-26-2005, 12:39 AM
Flour will absorb the extra moisture.

Edit- "In theory"... Not sure if it would actually work on fiberglass.

Yeah, it will, some one on this board did it on their kick panels.

bigred78797
06-26-2005, 12:39 AM
Eh, it happens, I use these 2 quart paper buckets from Lowes $0.55 each and they work wonderful... Usually i can pop the dried resin out of them sometimes and reuse them. The only problem is if your clumsy like me and end up dropping an open tube of mek in there... needless to say that was a bad batch.

ruckus
06-26-2005, 12:21 PM
it dried but now its friggin raining so i cant pop it out or do the other side :( Im never gonna get this **** done. was gonna have a friend come over today to help start the rear deck too. Have a nice idea for that one that I havent seen yet I'll put up pics as when I get a little further ahead. Maybe it will stop raining by December :(

guy022077
06-26-2005, 12:37 PM
this is funny...i was reading this and i am going through the same thing with the stupid rain...i hope to get it done today....goodl uck with yours...sunshine state.....whatever

ruckus
06-26-2005, 07:30 PM
was raining today so Im looking for next weekend to do the bottom of my 2nd kick and my rear deck :( man my friggin car still reeks of resin how can I get the smell out? I already popped the kick out this morning.

Decipha
06-26-2005, 07:38 PM
how can I get the smell out?

i had that same problem too, just use a hell of alot of febreeze and get some gel
heat released deodorizer. That helps a little just don't use the backseat any more
...that's what bedrooms are for.

bcarpenterfhl
06-27-2005, 02:44 AM
i had that same problem too, just use a hell of alot of febreeze and get some gel
heat released deodorizer. That helps a little just don't use the backseat any more
...that's what bedrooms are for.

you make the most retarded posts.

but anyways, post pics ruckus!