PDA

View Full Version : Painting Box?

PhatTonyDeMarco
06-24-2005, 08:28 PM
I was thinking about painting my speaker box (made of MDF of course), instead of carpeting it.

I want a different look, and I was thinking a good high gloss black paint job would look nice and smooth with my box.

Any input? Anything I should do special when I paint, and would primer be needed?

chinny
06-24-2005, 08:35 PM
yes for primer

SSS 18734
06-24-2005, 08:53 PM
the most important part is to sand the box to perfection. make it extremely smooth. give it 2 coats of primer and then several coats of paint. then cover it with lacquer to give it a smooth, shiny look.

if you take the box in and out a lot though, its going to get scratched so fast...

PhatTonyDeMarco
06-24-2005, 09:02 PM
the most important part is to sand the box to perfection. make it extremely smooth. give it 2 coats of primer and then several coats of paint. then cover it with lacquer to give it a smooth, shiny look.

if you take the box in and out a lot though, its going to get scratched so fast...

Onces its in my car, its gonna stay there unless there is a problem, which I dont anticipate.

SSS 18734
06-24-2005, 09:03 PM
Onces its in my car, its gonna stay there unless there is a problem, which I dont anticipate.

well in that case, save yourself some time and just paint the sides that would be visible. i havn't seen to many painted boxes, so it should be a fun project :thumbupw:

PhatTonyDeMarco
06-24-2005, 09:10 PM
well in that case, save yourself some time and just paint the sides that would be visible. i havn't seen to many painted boxes, so it should be a fun project :thumbupw:

Thanks man. What kind of laquer should I use?

SSS 18734
06-24-2005, 09:12 PM
go to a hardware or paint store, tell them you need to paint a wooden box and they will hook you up the primer, paint, and lacquer you need.

cjjackson85
06-24-2005, 09:15 PM
Use fingerpaint...

SSS 18734
06-24-2005, 09:18 PM
Use fingerpaint...

lol all of your posts today are terribly sarcastic and utterly useless

ruckus
06-24-2005, 09:23 PM
lol all of your posts today are terribly sarcastic and utterly useless
today? everyday :rolleyes:

InhumanAcura
06-24-2005, 10:02 PM
this topic has been covered a hundred times....

sand with a low grit to smooth things out....

I personally add f/g resin to the cut edges so they arent anymore prone to soaking paint then the rest of the piece..

hit the entire piece w/ filler (i use wood filler, some use bondo/dynalite/etc) this step may require 2 to 3 "coats" before you move on...

sand to form

hit the piece w/ high fill primer

sand w/ high grit

hit the piece w/ high fill primer again

sand w/ higher grit

by now your ready to paint, if theres ANY low/high spots, pits, scratches (i always have problems w/ scratches) you need to go back...

paint...finshing from here is a whole other story...

chinny
06-24-2005, 10:32 PM
^^ woooooo

superxplorer
06-25-2005, 01:01 AM
ive painted 3 boxes now and came out awsome. what i did was

sand the entire box smooth with 240 grit sand paper using a DA. making sure the edges of where the wood seems come together smooth so it wont show threw the paint. then primer. sand with 320 grit. primer again using 320, and then using a liquid sealer and let to dry. after that i put 3 layers of paint on and then 3-4 coats of clear coat. you may have to wet sand the box in some stages and then use compond to rub that out. its a pretty easy process but takes alot of time to make it look good.

heres a link to where you can see my painted box. ill have more updated pics on a diff box i just got done with.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/781761

95Prober
06-25-2005, 01:12 AM
well about painting ONLY the port black for looks only, with the rest of the box carpeted?? i mean, i know u probably dont need to be too picky about it, but should u sand the walls them paint if its a slot port?? is primer NEEDED still ?? thx

SSS 18734
06-25-2005, 01:18 AM
ive painted 3 boxes now and came out awsome. what i did was

sand the entire box smooth with 240 grit sand paper using a DA. making sure the edges of where the wood seems come together smooth so it wont show threw the paint. then primer. sand with 320 grit. primer again using 320, and then using a liquid sealer and let to dry. after that i put 3 layers of paint on and then 3-4 coats of clear coat. you may have to wet sand the box in some stages and then use compond to rub that out. its a pretty easy process but takes alot of time to make it look good.

heres a link to where you can see my painted box. ill have more updated pics on a diff box i just got done with.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/781761

wow that is one really nice box, man.

SliderX
06-25-2005, 04:08 AM
Here's a nice tutorial on how to get that nice finish: http://case-mods.linear1.org/case-mod-101-how-to-paint-your-computer-case-part-2/1/

94CamryBumpin
06-25-2005, 06:56 PM
after lookin at all the work that goes into painting...i htink ill stick with carpeting

Insomniac119
06-25-2005, 07:22 PM
Pu$$y