PDA

View Full Version : Head Unit Install REM?

JoseMCeee
06-23-2005, 01:55 PM
I did my first head unit install on a 91 blazer and it came out pretty clean but I cant figure out the REM install part. The wires that are left from the stock install is a grey wire that says LAMP and then 2 other wires (One orange, One Brown). I think the other 2 wires might be a power and ground because the cig ligher and a little lamp has the same color wires. Well would one of these work or should I just run a different wire to some other place and what place would that be? Also when the REM isnt connected the memory gets erased every time the car is turned off right?

squeak9798
06-23-2005, 01:58 PM
The wires that are left from the stock install is a grey wire that says LAMP and then 2 other wires (One orange, One Brown). I think the other 2 wires might be a power and ground because the cig ligher and a little lamp has the same color wires.

Are those the factory colors, or the colors on the aftermarket HU itself?

Also when the REM isnt connected the memory gets erased every time the car is turned off right?

No, that's the constant 12V connection (yellow wire). The REM wire is the wire that you would connect to an amp to tell it when to turn on. It has nothing to do with the install of the HU, only when connecting an external amplifier.

JoseMCeee
06-23-2005, 02:00 PM
Are those the factory colors, or the colors on the aftermarket HU itself?

No, that's the constant 12V connection (yellow wire). The REM wire is the wire that you would connect to an amp to tell it when to turn on. It has nothing to do with the install of the HU, only when connecting an external amplifier.

so the REM shouldnt be connected to anything when theres no amps?

And yea those are the stock wiring colors. The reason I asked about the memory is because the memory does get erased every time :( haha

JAZN
06-23-2005, 02:22 PM
the REM wire is blue and white.
no amps = it shouldnt be connected to anything.

tRiGgEr
06-23-2005, 02:28 PM

X2 :2thumbs:

JoseMCeee
06-23-2005, 02:28 PM

ok got it. So wat about the memory problem? It resets every time the car stays off for more than 10 secs. I know right now the yellow 12V and the red Accessory wire from the aftermarket deck are wired to the yellow 12V from the vehicle.

tRiGgEr
06-23-2005, 02:30 PM
You don't have a DMM???

You need to hook up the yellow wire to a constant 12v source wire. Use a test light to find one if you dont have a DMM.

Decipha
06-23-2005, 02:40 PM
x2, disconnect them from each other and connect the yellow wire to a constant
power source, if you can't find one check your fuses you probably blew it, if that
still doesn't work then run yourself a fused wire from the battery to the yellow
wire.

BTW: what kind of car is this? year/make/model

instead of cutting the factory harness why didn't you go to walmart and get the adapter?
it makes things alot easier and only costs a couple bucks

JoseMCeee
06-23-2005, 02:51 PM
I already cut them. The owner wanted the stereo installed that very day so I just cut off the stock harness. But I labeled everything. So I can just hook a wire directly to the batt? Just put a fuse on it? Also if I use the DMM I just just check to see if theres a wire thats 12V at all times with the car off right? Where would I hook the black wire of the dmm to?

tRiGgEr
06-23-2005, 02:54 PM
A ground :eyebrow:

You sure everything turned out ok. You didn't conect the power to the brake light or nothing right :laugh:

JoseMCeee
06-23-2005, 03:02 PM
A ground :eyebrow:

You sure everything turned out ok. You didn't conect the power to the brake light or nothing right :laugh:

na everything is good. Sounds good just the memory thing thats messed up. So if I connect the the head unit 12V yellow wire to a constant 12V wire to the car the deck would work AND retain its memory? What about the RED Accessory wire coming from the deck?

squeak9798
06-23-2005, 03:07 PM
na everything is good. Sounds good just the memory thing thats messed up. So if I connect the the head unit 12V yellow wire to a constant 12V wire to the car the deck would work AND retain its memory?

Yup. That's what the yellow wire is there for.

What about the RED Accessory wire coming from the deck?

That should be connected to an ignition controlled power source; i.e. a wire that only has power when the car's key is either in the ACC (accessory) position or the ON (i.e. car running) position.

tRiGgEr
06-23-2005, 03:10 PM

That should be connected to an ignition controlled power source; i.e. a wire that only has power when the car's key is either in the ACC (accessory) position or the ON (i.e. car running) position.

X2 :2thumbs:

JoseMCeee
06-23-2005, 03:11 PM

well to begin with I connected the yellow 12V from the deck to the yellow 12V of the car (Well the car labeling said it was 12V) and it would only turn on for a second then turn off. Like you could push a button to display the time and it would turn on only to insert and eject a cd. But it wouldnt stay on. Then I connected the deck's yellow 12V AND red Accessory and it worked but the memory would get erased.

tRiGgEr
06-23-2005, 03:13 PM
Just do as we recommended and you will be done...

Decipha
06-23-2005, 03:23 PM
sounds like you connected both to the battery wire... when you turn the key off does the HU stay on?

Decipha
06-23-2005, 03:25 PM
oh wait i just read it again... forget that last post

JoseMCeee
06-23-2005, 03:26 PM
aight I will get a chance to work on it later on in the day and I just found my DMM.

tmilla
06-23-2005, 04:39 PM
the cigarette lighter is a good constant power i think

JoseMCeee
06-23-2005, 05:05 PM
yea I was thinking the same since you can always heat that thing up. But theres another wire that was going to the stock deck that has that exact same color as the cig lighter wire. So im gessing that will do it.

Decipha
06-23-2005, 05:15 PM
some cars cig adapter is connected to the ignition acc