PDA

View Full Version : an apples and oranges comparison

XtrmAudioCncpts
06-22-2005, 12:07 PM
i have a 180X2 amp and the two speaker sets that im lookin at are

Boston Acoustic Z6
Vs.
Image Dymanics CS1.6 4ohm. full body (may upgrade mids to koda 8's later on)

i found them both for about the same amount.

what does everyone think. pro's con's ect. i have never had horns before so thats why im asking for opinions

squeak9798
06-22-2005, 12:10 PM
Well.....as much as I love horns; I personally would go for the Z6's out of that matchup.

You are pitting a high-end component set against an entry level horn setup.........

XtrmAudioCncpts
06-22-2005, 12:16 PM
well would you suggest i go with a better horn set up or the Z's.

squeak9798
06-22-2005, 12:26 PM
well would you suggest i go with a better horn set up or the Z's.

Teehee.....now you're making it more difficult :D

I dunno man.....it would really be best if you could hear a good horn setup yourself. They are a love-hate type of thing; you either love them, or you hate them. And I'd hate to tell you to get them if you are the kinda guy that will hate them...LOL

Me? I love them (horns). But, that doesn't mean you will. And those Z6 are a really good comp set. Like I said...if I didn't have my horns, the Z6 are what would be in my car.

XtrmAudioCncpts
06-22-2005, 12:33 PM
i know thats what you say. but to tell you the truth i dont know anyone around here that really even knows what a horn is. but it just seems like everyone who has horns loves them. that is probably because everyone on here who has horns probably has ID CD2's running active with like a koda mid

squeak9798
06-22-2005, 12:42 PM
i know thats what you say. but to tell you the truth i dont know anyone around here that really even knows what a horn is. but it just seems like everyone who has horns loves them. that is probably because everyone on here who has horns probably has ID CD2's running active with like a koda mid

LOL.....nope, me and JAZN have Illusion CH1 horns :p:

But yeah....you aren't going to own horns unless you really like them, which is why all horn owners rave about them...LOL

But if you search around on different forums, there have been some pretty "intense" debates about horns...here's just a couple:

http://forum.elitecaraudio.com/showthread.php?threadid=94303
http://forum.elitecaraudio.com/showthread.php?threadid=105501

Like I said....you either love 'em, or you hate 'em.

Schuey2002
06-22-2005, 03:50 PM
Ok, so I have never listened to horns in a car. But, I have heard a couple of pairs of Klipsch home audio speakers (both the Reference and Synergy Series). Do they sound anything at all like those?

JimJ
06-22-2005, 03:55 PM
But yeah....you aren't going to own horns unless you really like them, which is why all horn owners rave about them...LOL

Such can be said about many things in high-end audio.

squeak9798
06-22-2005, 04:22 PM
Ok, so I have never listened to horns in a car. But, I have heard a couple of pairs of Klipsch home audio speakers (both the Reference and Synergy Series). Do they sound anything at all like those?

Umm....well, maybe :confused:

They're just like any other speaker; they are going to have their differences, and their similarities.

audiolife
06-22-2005, 04:30 PM
id do the entry level horns over a set of comps like that. even if you were curious. that horn set can sound pretty good really

T3mpest
06-22-2005, 05:14 PM
I'd take the z6's. I too am a lover of horns, but I love my BA too. I can imagine someone hating horns, can' t say the same about the Bostons. Dislike maybe, but never hate. Like squeak mentioned, those are some really nice components. Super loud and clear, IMO. Horns are a bit more of a hassle as well.

audiolife
06-22-2005, 05:28 PM
horns are easy as compared to setting up a seperates kick correctly lol i know i can put horns in just about anything in under 4 hours...cant say that about kicks unless its a midbass only kick

JAZN
06-22-2005, 05:34 PM
if youre gonna go the horn method, you really need some mids that can keep up. ive been working hard on my ID CX62's in stock locations to make em keep up but i'm not there yet. i've been having to attenuate the horns a bit to make em blend better. hopefully some EQ'ing and more deadening i can get closer. in the future i'll probably upgrade to a bigger mid, maybe xxx's or even 8s. i could go crazy and throw in ND-10s like squeak :p:
just throwing the horns in under the dash i got good imaging right outta the box :)

audiolife
06-22-2005, 05:38 PM
lol you are at the fun part with horns i know an easy way to make them linear will only cost ya 50 bucks lol if you have aim just hit me up through req lol it takes a while to set right

squeak9798
06-22-2005, 05:47 PM
i know i can put horns in just about anything in under 4 hours...

Then come over tonight and prove it ;) :p:

JAZN
06-22-2005, 06:22 PM
lol you are at the fun part with horns i know an easy way to make them linear will only cost ya 50 bucks lol if you have aim just hit me up through req lol it takes a while to set right
will do :)
and i dont see how you find that fun, you sick bastard. tuning = aggravation and me killing things.

JAZN
06-22-2005, 06:23 PM
Then come over tonight and prove it ;) :p:
now i cant even tell when youre making ****** innuendos anymore.
i'll just assume everything you say has a ****** connotation.

squeak9798
06-22-2005, 06:37 PM
now i cant even tell when youre making ****** innuendos anymore.
i'll just assume everything you say has a ****** connotation.

LOL.........Whatever makes you happy pennis, whatever makes you happy ;) :naughty:

:eyebrow:

XtrmAudioCncpts
06-23-2005, 11:47 AM
i dont know why the idea of horns with a mid so intriguing. maybe ill go with a mid level horn like the ID Pro or is the ID Pro still trash?

squeak9798
06-23-2005, 12:22 PM
i dont know why the idea of horns with a mid so intriguing. maybe ill go with a mid level horn like the ID Pro or is the ID Pro still trash?

Trash :confused: I don't recall anyone calling anything trash?

But, the CD1 Pro's are a big step up over the CD1e's. I'd probably go with the Pro's over the Z6 simply because I'm a "horn guy" now...tweets just don't do it for me. Tweets can definitely sound good; don't get me wrong. But, I miss the output, efficiency and "impact" of my horns when I listen to tweets .

XtrmAudioCncpts
06-23-2005, 12:28 PM
i really wish i could hear horns before i decided i think that would make this a lot easier for me. i love realistic sound to my music and tweeters havent really done it for me in the post. when i listen the the Z's i think to myself hmm thats good sound but i would like to listen to them and be like :wowflash: thats the kind of sound i want out of my car

maylar
06-23-2005, 05:48 PM
Is there a mid out there that has the kind of transparency and neutrality that the Z6's have? Or is that quality in the tweets? I love the Z's sound.