PDA

View Full Version : Tweeter Crossover question

fossil99ca
06-22-2005, 07:40 AM
I currently have a component set and would like to run the tweeter only off of the crossover since I have no other way at the moment to HP the tweeter. I will be running my new mids actively on separate channels.

As far as I know this should not change the crossover points since the tweeter is in parallel with the mid. Can someone verify this that I am not going to melt something, running the tweeter only on the crossover.

Decipha
06-22-2005, 07:52 AM
why don't you just run both the mid and the tweeter off the passive crossover, and forget about the active crossover?

fossil99ca
06-22-2005, 08:03 AM
Because I will be using a 8 ohm mid-range driver and a 2 ohm base driver on my current 4 channel amp (actually it will be a 3-way setup). The crossover is only good for 4 ohms. I was hoping to use two channels off of my HU to drive the tweeters just to cover the top end.

I will try this, might have to get a active crossover and a extra amp if it doesn’t work or sound good.

Can I run the tweeter only on the X-over?

Decipha
06-22-2005, 08:23 AM
if you have a component set the tweeter should be designed specifically for the
woofer and the crossover, so it shouldn't hurt the crossover if you run it with the
tweeter.

But i don't understand why the tweeter is 2 ohm,
it should be 8 ohm for the crossover.

If this is only what you have to work with, run the woofer on the amp since mids
need more power than hi's, use the tweeter off the HU, if you have to get a cap
to cut the lows from the hi's, its not going to give you a flat response and you
may be missing some frequencies, but it will be better than nothing.

Decipha
06-22-2005, 08:28 AM
^^nvm that i totally misunderstood you and i have no clue what your talking about.

You said you have a 2 ohm 'base' driver, did you mean a 2 ohm sub? In that case just
bridge 2 channels on the amp and use the other 2 for the left and right. Just forget the
rear fill or if you want run it off the HU power. You can still run the passive crossover
on the comp set with 2 channels. So, i don't know what your trying to say... can you tell me
more info maybe on why you can't hook it up to the passive crossover, and if your amp
doesn't have a built in crossover, just use the active crossover for the sub?

Still, I can't say how to help with out more info.

fossil99ca
06-22-2005, 10:13 AM
Decipha, I know you are trying to help. Thanks

No sub, just a pair of XXX6.5's in the mail (2 ohm). I was debating on getting the CSS WR125S (8 ohm) for a mid-range that would cover to almost 10K. Just wanted to cover the 10K-20K range with my existing tweeter. To do that I would either need to use my existing X-over to protect it or buy a capacitor/resistor and make my own12db HP filter for it. That's why I needed to know if I can use the X-over for the tweeter only. Just trying to come up with some ideas on what I want to do if I went with a 3-way set-up.

If you guys think I am wasting my time, and think I should forget about the WR125S, buy an active X-over, LP the 6.5 at 3000hz and buy good quality tweeters to cover 3000K - 20khz. I will definatly take it under consideration. My thought was, if I don't like the WR125S, I can always make some bookshelf speakers for home audio.

My reasons for getting the XXX6.5 besides if being well liked, was that it was 2ohm which works for my amp and was easier for me to get than say the dynaudio (sp) 2 ohm driver.

squeak9798
06-22-2005, 11:47 AM
If you are wanting to cross the tweeter over so high, you'll likely need to build your own crossover network or go active with the tweeter aswell. I can't imagine a regular comp set passive having a crossover point as high as you want/need.

fossil99ca
06-22-2005, 12:29 PM
^^ You are right, I think its 3500hz or close to that. It would be ideal to build my own passive X-over for 10Khz or so. I was playing around with it on the weekend, pulled the woofer so just the highs are playing. My thought was to HP the WR125S with no LP and just use it full range and have the tweeter just add a little fill at the top end. I have to experiment to see what sounds good, build some cardboard boxes to test it out before installing.

I just wanted to check to make sure I wouldn't fry my X-over or tweeter by experimenting with it, with no woofer attached.