PDA

View Full Version : Can you tune for a wider soundstage?

anders213
06-21-2005, 12:38 AM
Hi All,

Can you actually tune the HU(T/A, EQ and Crossovers) for a wider soundstage?
Or a more focused soundstage?
My center seems to be a 1 feet long instead of a pin point.

Cheers
Anders

req
06-21-2005, 01:59 AM
nope. its all placement, box, and installation.

EQ will only make it sound different - but the way its reflecting will stay the same, try inverting the phase on the passanger speakers. (switch the +\- the "wrong" way on the amp for that side)

it sometimes helps tremendously.

anders213
06-21-2005, 05:00 AM
Thanks mate. Ill try the phase out later today. Anyway, Im running active.
Should i change the phase for both the tweeters and mids?

I have read quite a bit of post about phase. But I just do not get it.
Any drawings to show why a change of phase on 1 side will make a difference?

Cheers
Anders

T3mpest
06-21-2005, 01:17 PM
Speakers work because they move air. Preferrably you'd want them to be equal distances apart that way the sound reaches your ears at the same time. By wiring them out of phase the speakers won't react at the same time, therefore despite unequal pathlengths, the sound from each speaker might be closer together. It lets one speaker get a head start.

jujumantb
06-21-2005, 01:20 PM
There are some ways to make the soundstage sound higher with an EQ, maybe even wider, by cutting or boosting certain frequencies to trick your ears. It was all on some website someone posted A LONG time ago.

req
06-21-2005, 02:57 PM
Speakers work because they move air. Preferrably you'd want them to be equal distances apart that way the sound reaches your ears at the same time. By wiring them out of phase the speakers won't react at the same time, therefore despite unequal pathlengths, the sound from each speaker might be closer together. It lets one speaker get a head start.

yep.

since you are closer to the left speaker than the right one, putting the passanger side out of phase with the rest might yield to a better image because they are unequal distances from the listner :)

anders213
06-21-2005, 09:00 PM
So i rekon it works on the same logic as time alignment?

Anyone has the website that jujumantb mentioned?

Cheers
Anders