airtas
06-20-2005, 03:10 PM
is the excelon above the Kenwood KDC-MP919

i had the mp919 and i loved it

i cant find anything similar to that other than the excelon x889

any thoughts?

Prowler573
06-20-2005, 03:18 PM
So long as you temper this recommendation with the fact that I am a die-hard, loyal eXcelon fan (my deck and both my amps are eXcelon)...

The KDC-X889 is a bit more feature-packed than the KDC-MP919 and if you get it from an authorized dealer the warranty is twice as long as the normal Kenwood line. I certainly don't think you'd be unhappy with it. The $450 MSRP is a bit steep for my tastes. You can get it much cheaper like on eBay or whatnot but as Kenwood is fairly picky about who they authorize to sell their eXcelon gear (no online sales outside of Crutchfield are authorized) most likely it will not carry a warranty of any kind.

airtas
06-20-2005, 03:27 PM
So long as you temper this recommendation with the fact that I am a die-hard, loyal eXcelon fan (my deck and both my amps are eXcelon)...

The KDC-X889 is a bit more feature-packed than the KDC-MP919 and if you get it from an authorized dealer the warranty is twice as long as the normal Kenwood line. I certainly don't think you'd be unhappy with it. The $450 MSRP is a bit steep for my tastes. You can get it much cheaper like on eBay or whatnot but as Kenwood is fairly picky about who they authorize to sell their eXcelon gear (no online sales outside of Crutchfield are authorized) most likely it will not carry a warranty of any kind.

is the 879 top of the line? is it similar to the 919 or does kenwood make an upgrade to the 919?

Prowler573
06-20-2005, 03:32 PM
The KDC-X879 was an '04 model and there was one above it in the eXcelon lineup, the KDC-X979. It was a pretty awesome deck and you can still find them around if you look hard enough.

The KDC-X889 is the top offering in the eXcelon line for '05.

The year that the MP919 was new product it was the top offering in the regular Kenwood line.

airtas
06-20-2005, 03:34 PM
The KDC-X879 was an '04 model and there was one above it in the eXcelon lineup, the KDC-X979. It was a pretty awesome deck and you can still find them around if you look hard enough.

The KDC-X889 is the top offering in the eXcelon line for '05.

The year that the MP919 was new product it was the top offering in the regular Kenwood line.

whats equivalent to the 919 didnt they make a 928?

Ace_TX
06-20-2005, 04:08 PM
http://www.25thanniversary.org/en-US/SelectionPage.aspx

airtas
06-20-2005, 04:18 PM
http://www.25thanniversary.org/en-US/SelectionPage.aspx
when are these out?

Ace_TX
06-20-2005, 04:33 PM
http://www.25thanniversary.org/_img/XXV01D_tumb.jpg

Kenwood XXV-01D ~$425 on eBay

-----
MP3/WMA/AAC CD-Receiver

http://www.25thanniversary.org/_img/key_arrow_big.gifAUDIO FEATURES

4 x 50 W max. output power
MOSFET amplifier stage
3 RCA gold plated pre-outs, 5 Volt
1 RCA AUX input
Subwoofer ref. level adjustment
Build-in amplifier Cut. off
Installer memory
Tone control: Bass/Mid/Treble
Source tone memory
Loudness control
System Q sound system
Digital System Es+ (DSP)
4 bands parametric equalizer
Digital time alignment
Sound management system
SRS WOW (digital)
ODD D/A system

http://www.25thanniversary.org/_img/key_arrow_big.gif TUNER FEATURES

RDS tuner with Radio Text
24 Presets: 18 FM, 6 LW/MW
Auto Memory Entry (AME)
Up/Down seek tuning
Auto1/Auto2/Manual tuning mode
Stereo/Mono selector
K3I clean reception tuner
DAB reception with optional KTC-9090DAB tuner

http://www.25thanniversary.org/_img/key_arrow_big.gif CHANGER FEATURES

Dual changer control capability (CH1,CH2 & AUX)
CD-Text with compatible units
DNPS (Disc Name Preset) with compatible units
Disc & Track repeat
Disc & Track scan
Disc & Magazine random play
Dual-Zone (switchable)

http://www.25thanniversary.org/_img/key_arrow_big.gif CD FEATURES

CD-R/RW playback
MP3/WMA/AAC playback
CD-Text
L/R 0-bit mute
24 bit DAC (Burr Brown)
mCD application software
ACDrive technology
Voice index function
Random/Repeat/Scan function
8 Times oversampling
Signal-noise ratio: 110 dB
Dynamic range: 93 dB
Channel separation: 96 dB

http://www.25thanniversary.org/_img/key_arrow_big.gif GENERAL FEATURES

Slide-down removable faceplate
3-steps angle adjustment
Disabled System Indicator (DSI)
Protection case for faceplate
4 digit code security
Full dot (256x64) Multicolor (4096) OEL display
2 steps automatic dimmer
Display customize
Spectrum analyzer
Selectable key illumination (red or green)
Digital clock (24H)
Remote control included (RC-527)
All-off select (Off/20/40/60 minutes)
Built-in fuse/coil
Disabled system indicator
2-way telephone mute
Hard-wired remote-in
External option control
2003/2004 BMS amplifier control
OEM display out
Ready for iPod (KCA-iP500)

http://www.25thanniversary.org/_img/spacer.gif
http://www.25thanniversary.org/_img/1_white.gifhttp://www.25thanniversary.org/_img/1_white.gif 2005 Kenwood Electronics Europe B.V. | Design and production by C:WORX

corollaguy99
06-20-2005, 04:38 PM
I just had my Kenwood XXV-01D installed today....its one sweet head unit

jsloan10
06-20-2005, 04:40 PM
Im gonna say this before someone else does-

"Aw man, Kenwood is CRAP! Get an Alpine, sure they breakdown alot but with higher pricetag you know its better, I mean c'mon its Alpine!. I have never owned a Kenwood deck ever but a friend of a friend on my 3rd cousins mothers side said that it gave him AIDS, you better stay away and get an Alpine, my older brother told me it gave him a bigger ****"

VoTran24
06-20-2005, 04:53 PM
I've had one of the older kenwood excelon head units with the revolving faceplate and I loved it...i went from the excelon to the alpine 9815 and didnt notice much of a difference in sq at all...the excelon was also much easier to use...other than hearing about people having problems with the revolving faceplates, those excelon decks are great

airtas
06-21-2005, 12:12 AM
I just had my Kenwood XXV-01D installed today....its one sweet head unit
better than the excelon 889?

airtas
06-21-2005, 12:13 AM
whats equivalent to the 919 didnt they make a 928?..

corollaguy99
06-21-2005, 12:54 AM
better than the excelon 889?

well..im thinking that they're basically the same...the xxv-01d just has a slight different look to it and is a limited edition head unit

bratva5
06-21-2005, 12:55 AM
.better than the excelon 889?.
Yes, KDC-MP928, dunno nothing about it, it's like $389 on e-bay

headknocker
06-21-2005, 09:54 AM
I've had one of the older kenwood excelon head units with the revolving faceplate and I loved it...i went from the excelon to the alpine 9815 and didnt notice much of a difference in sq at all...the excelon was also much easier to use...other than hearing about people having problems with the revolving faceplates, those excelon decks are great

I couldn't agree more. I always loved my X717 but I was never a fan of the silly and troublesome D-mask feature(which brought down the reliability of the entire line). The new eXcelon line, however, is much improved....better SQ and they finally went with a motorized face. The new units offer quite a bit of bang-for-your-buck. I love the X589!

airtas
06-22-2005, 12:42 PM
I couldn't agree more. I always loved my X717 but I was never a fan of the silly and troublesome D-mask feature(which brought down the reliability of the entire line). The new eXcelon line, however, is much improved....better SQ and they finally went with a motorized face. The new units offer quite a bit of bang-for-your-buck. I love the X589!

is the excelon series better than the MP series? or the same?

Prowler573
06-22-2005, 12:50 PM
Okay -

eXcelon is Kenwood's designation of their upper echelon gear. Comparable to Pioneer's Premier line (ergo same company, better equipment). Some internals of the eXcelons as compared to the stuff marked just 'Kenwood' are higher-end (better D/A converters and things of that nature) while some parts remain the same such as the CR-2 tuner which is part of every Kenwood head unit built.
The 'MP' isn't really a series but rather a designation that it plays compressed digital music files (.mp3, .wma, AAC, etc)

While some features and methods of operation between the top-end Kenwood offering and the top-end Kenwood eXcelon offering may be very similar the eXcelon is overall a better unit.

airtas
06-23-2005, 01:47 AM
kenwood excelon x979 or EXCELON x889

which do you guys think i should go with?

_DjScrew_
06-24-2005, 08:02 AM
the x889 is a good deck. a friend was selling his for 300 in excellent condition if you are interested pm me.

Puggsley456
06-28-2005, 02:15 AM
Hell I'm still usin my X859, my remotes dying but eveything is still under warranty until november(5years)! But that new 25th aniversary deck has me thinkin of an upgrade......

airtas
06-28-2005, 12:25 PM
kenwood XXV-01D

why is worth the extra 200 dollars? than the x889?

chadillac3
06-28-2005, 02:03 PM
kenwood XXV-01D

why is worth the extra 200 dollars? than the x889?

Prettier. Better screen, different cosmetics.

I have one coming to try out on Thursday...not sold on the 9855 I'm using.

Justintoxicated
06-28-2005, 02:52 PM
IMO kenwood spends more money on making the HU look good than they do on the components inside. But if you want a flashy HU that still sounds good definately go with the excelon line.

Excelon and normal Kenwood are COMPLEATY different.

They are not junk, I would probably buy one over the new alpines that everyone is having problems with also. Then again the new top of the line clarions are supposed to be real good too. Of course I wanted 8V low impedence pre-outs for that much money, but I don't care about things like a color LCD as much, I just want to display useful information like song titles etc.

1loudbastid
07-04-2005, 02:53 PM
I have an 889 and I love it ! great sound (I love the DTAand DSP) I am using the stock door locations in my Jeep and the soundstage was pretty low the DTA and DSP picked it right up and makes it seem much wider (like they are up in the dash) I cannot say enough good things about this HU , I paid less than 300 on Ebay for it , and so far it has been rock solid , and has read anything I have put into it . The Excelon series has higher volt/lower impedance RCA's than the MP series and dual 24 bitt Burr Brown DAC's , thats the main differences between them I have found , that and the faceplate color ....

Ignatowski
07-04-2005, 10:03 PM
IMO kenwood spends more money on making the HU look good than they do on the components inside. But if you want a flashy HU that still sounds good definately go with the excelon line.

Excelon and normal Kenwood are COMPLEATY different.

terrible statment and incorrect as well

Spr0ket
07-07-2005, 11:01 PM
Kenwood has updated the web site about the 25th HU. I've got an 889 and I'm really tempted to upgrade. I would almost dish out the extra $200 if I were to start over.

fnzpntz
08-08-2005, 05:28 AM
well..im thinking that they're basically the same...the xxv-01d just has a slight different look to it and is a limited edition head unit

the xxv-01d has a couple of things that SET it about 5x better then the 889

Ignatowski
08-08-2005, 06:31 AM
nm