PDA

View Full Version : Is Liquid Nails crap?

SliderX
06-20-2005, 03:41 AM
I noticed a lot of people here prefer wood glue. I would just like to know what's wrong with LN? Before I found out that wood glue is the way to go I bought 2 tubes of of LN :mad: and I threw out the receipt.

amedeuce
06-20-2005, 03:45 AM
where did you buy the LN. Home depot doesn't require a receipt. They'll give you an in store credit, then you pay for your wood glue with that

Ray21
06-20-2005, 03:47 AM
Nothing really, works fine... i've used both but I prefer wood glue now. Less messy and cheaper.

PhatTonyDeMarco
06-20-2005, 03:48 AM
It is not that its "crap". It just isnt good for bonding wood in a situation like making a box, where a good bond is needed.

Wood glue makes a chemical bond between the wood, as apposed to LN, which forms a physical bond only.

amedeuce
06-20-2005, 03:50 AM
It is not that its "crap". It just isnt good for bonding wood in a situation like making a box, where a good bond is needed.

Wood glue makes a chemical bond between the wood, as apposed to LN, which forms a physical bond only.
:thumbupw:

Decipha
06-20-2005, 03:54 AM
chemicals are good especially in the air and tobacco

bcarpenterfhl
06-20-2005, 04:21 AM
people also use use liquid nails as an alternative to silicone, which they shouldnt.

Decipha
06-20-2005, 08:46 AM
people also use use liquid nails as an alternative to silicone, which they shouldnt.

x2, i like them soft and firm... i hate the ones that are too round that you can just tell are fake

PhatTonyDeMarco
06-20-2005, 09:49 AM
x2, i like them soft and firm... i hate the ones that are too round that you can just tell are fake

Another good *** post man :hilariou:

djjdnap
06-20-2005, 08:52 PM
Use both,

You pretty much keep it together wt the glue and seal it air tight wt the LN

ruckus
06-21-2005, 05:19 PM
I use construction adhesive and like it better than glue myself. I would give the LN a try and see how it comes out. but use silicone to seal it after ;) LN will go a good job sealing but silicone will flex with the wood.

SliderX
06-21-2005, 11:48 PM
Got this wood glue called Titebond. Used that too glue the box together. I'll be using caulk to seal it. Thanks guys

Mr. Opportunist
06-22-2005, 01:57 AM
how about gorilla glue i got some in a drawer would that be ok or should i go out and buy wood glue?

cjjackson85
06-22-2005, 01:58 AM
Crap... no. Adhesive... yes.

cjjackson85
06-22-2005, 01:58 AM
how about gorilla glue i got some in a drawer would that be ok or should i go out and buy wood glue?
That **** expands 400%... no esta bueno.

Exaran
06-23-2005, 01:33 PM
I love Liquid Nails.... but you gotta get the right kind I guess. I use the Heavy Duty Construction kind that comes in caulk-gun tubes

I like it cause it stays put, and fills in the imperfections in the wood... it also doesnt shrink when it dries. I think it's a LOT less messy than wood glue, because it doesnt drip everywhere. I'm also a lot more confident about the seal it makes, especially if you use a little extra and squish the excess into a good bead on the inside. LN also lets you have a little flexibility when you screw everything together.... you can move 2 pieces together and the LN will stay, but the wood glue would wipe off. That and its more forgiving if you get some gaps when it all comes together

TPABlazer
06-23-2005, 03:07 PM
I use CA glue to hold stuff together while wood glue/liquid nails/gorilla glue dries.

Raven
06-25-2005, 12:01 AM
I used Liquid Nails on a box I later cannibalized for another project. The MDF broke before the glue did, but the bond itself and penetration into the MDF was weak. It broke RIGHT at the seam.

Gorilla glue was the same way, you have to be generous with it and CLAMP IT DOWN because that stuff expands like expanding foam.

I've also used NO glue, a rubber strip seam and screws. Not easy, but works...

I think my next box I'll try wood glue.. =p