PDA

View Full Version : Question about actual measurements for speakers....

Bobyota
06-15-2005, 11:04 PM
So I'm measuring the stock speaker in my car (supposed to be a 5-1/4), and it measures 6" OD and the speaker itself is less than 5. So how do they come up with 5-1/4?

I'm told 6.5's will fit....but is that 6.5" measuring the mounting ring from end to end? Or is that the actual size of the cone? I thought it was the former, but now I'm cornfused :emb:

Also, how is top mount depth measured? Looks like my car is a tight fit, so I'll need to know exactly how this is measured.

desi_daru
06-16-2005, 02:46 AM
if 6.5's will fit and thas wat u want, get a speaker that has the size 6.5 on the box n ull b fine

is top depth the same as mounting depth? if so the mounting depth from the door till it goes back n hit something like the window wen its down or sumptin like that i beleive

Justinw303
06-16-2005, 02:48 AM
Top mounting is the most common way to mount a speaker. The top mounting depth is the length from the very back of the speaker(the magnet) to the surface it is screwed into.

-------------|+

Try to follow me with this.

| equals the metal panel you screw the speakers ring into,
+ equals the actual speaker ring, and
- equals the rest of the speaker.

Top mount would be the length of all the -'s.

I hope I didn't over-explain that. :)

As for the question about speakers size, I'm not exactly sure.

desi_daru
06-16-2005, 02:51 AM
so its the same thang

squeak9798
06-16-2005, 10:31 AM
I'm told 6.5's will fit....but is that 6.5" measuring the mounting ring from end to end? Or is that the actual size of the cone? I thought it was the former, but now I'm cornfused :emb:

It depends; the 6.5" measurement will typically include the mounting ring. But, not many speakers are exactly that size. Some are bigger, some are smaller, etc etc. For example; I have a 6.5" mid who's outside diameter is really ~7".

Bobyota
06-16-2005, 07:40 PM
Ok thanks y'all. Looks like 2-1/4 is as deep as I can go w/o making baffles.