PDA

View Full Version : Blaupunkt BPV-755

Justinw303
06-15-2005, 05:15 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=39756&item=5781507275&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I'm new to the car audio realm, and I'm looking to upgrade my HU first. I figure it's the best place to start, right? Well, the Blaupunkt I mentioned is the one I have my eye on.

How is it?

Prowler573
06-15-2005, 05:28 AM
Well - it's probably worth the $93 it'll take to get it to your door but it's pretty basic and leaves little room for later expansion having only one set of RCA preouts. If you plan on later running an external EQ or crossover that won't be that big of an issue, however.

I have a personal bias against Blaupunkt products that dates back better than a decade so I wouldn't personally recommend it but I know people that swear by them so take that with a grain of salt.

What's your planned budget? If you're trying to keep it around the $100 mark and want to buy new then that limits your options pretty drastically but if you're willing to either buy used or up your expenditure you can do much better than that Blau.

Justinw303
06-15-2005, 05:38 AM
Well, it'll only be powering the 2 speakers in my doors, but later I might be adding a couple of subs powered off an amp. Would I be able to hook the amp up to it?

Prowler573
06-15-2005, 05:55 AM
Well, it'll only be powering the 2 speakers in my doors, but later I might be adding a couple of subs powered off an amp. Would I be able to hook the amp up to it?

The short answer is Yes.

Like I said previously - it's most likely worth the ninety-three bucks it'll cost to get it to your door. And if all you're currently after is an upgrade from a stock head unit and you aren't expecting huge differences then I'd say go for it! (a quick perusal of that particular eBayer's feedback leads me to believe you shouldn't be looking to receive your new stereo soon after tendering payment, however)

It's all a matter of what you're trying to accomplish, guy. I'm a bit more involved in my car audio than you apparently are at this point and when I look at a possible head unit purchase I take possible future system expansion into consideration and that Blau doesn't leave a lot of room to grow. But your long-term goals and mine my not necessarily mirror each other so if the specs/features/whatnot of that deck look good to you then get after it, fella! :)

Justinw303
06-15-2005, 06:19 AM
The short answer is Yes.

Like I said previously - it's most likely worth the ninety-three bucks it'll cost to get it to your door. And if all you're currently after is an upgrade from a stock head unit and you aren't expecting huge differences then I'd say go for it! (a quick perusal of that particular eBayer's feedback leads me to believe you shouldn't be looking to receive your new stereo soon after tendering payment, however)

It's all a matter of what you're trying to accomplish, guy. I'm a bit more involved in my car audio than you apparently are at this point and when I look at a possible head unit purchase I take possible future system expansion into consideration and that Blau doesn't leave a lot of room to grow. But your long-term goals and mine my not necessarily mirror each other so if the specs/features/whatnot of that deck look good to you then get after it, fella! :)

When you say I shouldn't be expecting huge differences, what exactly do you mean? Won't my speakers sound better?

And what type of future expansion do you look for when you purchase a new HU?

Prowler573
06-15-2005, 06:38 AM
When you say I shouldn't be expecting huge differences, what exactly do you mean? Won't my speakers sound better?

And what type of future expansion do you look for when you purchase a new HU?

Well, if you're going to keep the stock speakers in use for awhile the best head unit out there won't make them sound dramatically better. Will they sound better off of a quality stereo as opposed to the OEM unit? Yes. Will the difference be Night And Day better? Probably not.

As for future expansion possibilities I look for multiple sets of RCA preouts with a strong preout voltage which allows for a cleaner signal being sent to multiple amplifiers without necessitating the use of Y-splitters. I look for onboard high-pass and low-pass crossovers for convenience. The list is long and involved, actually.

The FAQ section of this forum contains unendingly useful tips and information posted by folks that have been tinkering with aftermarket car audio for years. It should provide you with heaps of help if you're up for a bit of reading. (It will be well worth the time investment, I assure you. The "Search" function is a wonderfully handy tool - use it - you'll be glad you did.)

Ignatowski
06-15-2005, 07:00 AM
Ooffff Blau hasent made a decent HU in 10 years

Decipha
06-15-2005, 07:05 AM
Ooffff Blau hasent made a decent HU in 10 years

uhhh well maybe... i never liked 'blau' but i've only heard a handful of blaupunkt HU's

Justinw303
06-15-2005, 03:29 PM
Well, if you're going to keep the stock speakers in use for awhile the best head unit out there won't make them sound dramatically better. Will they sound better off of a quality stereo as opposed to the OEM unit? Yes. Will the difference be Night And Day better? Probably not.

As for future expansion possibilities I look for multiple sets of RCA preouts with a strong preout voltage which allows for a cleaner signal being sent to multiple amplifiers without necessitating the use of Y-splitters. I look for onboard high-pass and low-pass crossovers for convenience. The list is long and involved, actually.

The FAQ section of this forum contains unendingly useful tips and information posted by folks that have been tinkering with aftermarket car audio for years. It should provide you with heaps of help if you're up for a bit of reading. (It will be well worth the time investment, I assure you. The "Search" function is a wonderfully handy tool - use it - you'll be glad you did.)

Well, like I said the most I would ever expand is two small subs powered off an amp behind the seat, so as long as I can hook up an amp, I guess it's ok. It has more than enough option/features for me, as I'm easily satisfied. I don't feel like breaking the bank on a HU and spending $200+, so I reckon this suits me.

txred0810
06-15-2005, 05:01 PM
Just remeber that when getting into car audio it is verrrryyy addictive...you'll always be wanting more no matter what you say at first...browse around the classifieds for a week or so and see if somethin in your price range pops up b/c it'll most likely be quite a bit better than the one your lookin at.... just my 2 cents though

Justinw303
06-17-2005, 07:05 PM
You guys are depressing... :(

Everytime I think I've found something good, I get shot down.

And I have a single cab F-150. I BARELY have enough room for an amp and a small set of subwoofers, so even if I did get addicted and wanted to expand, I couldn't.

Prowler573
06-17-2005, 07:51 PM
You guys are depressing... :(

Everytime I think I've found something good, I get shot down.

And I have a single cab F-150. I BARELY have enough room for an amp and a small set of subwoofers, so even if I did get addicted and wanted to expand, I couldn't.
Not quite true either...

There are shallow-mount subs that do not require a ton of airspace that a slim truck box would be sufficient for them.

You could get a cowboy camper (half-cab type of affair) and that would give you the room to house car audio gear. You could also get a fiberglass cover for the bed and do a pass-through type of deal from the bed to the cab.

Probably several other ways that haven't occurred to me.

There are always workarounds if ya want it bad enough. :D

Justinw303
06-18-2005, 04:34 PM
Not quite true either...

There are shallow-mount subs that do not require a ton of airspace that a slim truck box would be sufficient for them.

You could get a cowboy camper (half-cab type of affair) and that would give you the room to house car audio gear. You could also get a fiberglass cover for the bed and do a pass-through type of deal from the bed to the cab.

Probably several other ways that haven't occurred to me.

There are always workarounds if ya want it bad enough. :D

I'm only 16, and I really don't have the money to do all of that. Plus my dad wouldn't let me.

Justinw303
06-22-2005, 06:03 PM
Ok, I see what you're saying about the Blaupunkt not having much room to grow. Only 1 set of preouts, therefore there's only room for a single 2-channel amp.

Like I said earlier, I won't be expanding much anyway, so that suits me fine.

Prowler573
06-22-2005, 06:13 PM
Ok, I see what you're saying about the Blaupunkt not having much room to grow. Only 1 set of preouts, therefore there's only room for a single 2-channel amp.

Like I said earlier, I won't be expanding much anyway, so that suits me fine.

^^That's not entirely accurate either. While it is true that a single set of preouts only allows you to directly connect one amplifier there are workarounds to that as well.

You can employ the use of Y-splitters to send the preout signal to multiple amplifiers. Also some amplifiers have RCA outputs on them so you can send the signal to the first amplifier from the head unit then from the first amp to the next. But if you're really thinking that you're gonna stay with a single amp setup then only having one set of preouts on the head unit shouldn't present a problem.

SSS 18734
06-22-2005, 06:15 PM
Im 16 too, and well my first and current HU is a Pioneer DEH-3600, which I got for 100 shipped about a year ago. It's a good unit but its been giving me problems lately. If I could do it over again I would have spent more on a better unit. A Head unit is a pretty important part of the system, so don't squander money on a cheap one.

Justinw303
06-22-2005, 06:35 PM
Well, because I can get the Blaupunkt HU for under $100, if it ever gives me problems or if I ever feel the need to upgrade, I can replace it without feeling like I'm throwing out a $250 CD player.

btmorris972
06-23-2005, 02:12 AM
ok man go to crutchfield an look at some better hu in the $170 price range then do a search for the one you like on pricegrabber.com you can save a ton of money and get better quality

do yourself a favor and spend a lil more on the hu

Justinw303
06-23-2005, 04:30 AM
I don't get it.

This HU has everything I need. I don't have all the money you guys do to buy this and that and upgrade to the highest quality. I'm not going to be putting 4 15's in the bed of my truck. I'm simple. If I had more room to experiment, I would go for a better HU. But because this is my first system and I just want to get my feet wet, I'm going with the Blaupunkt. All the features it has blows the ***** I have now out of the water, and 1 set of preouts fine for what I have in mind.

I appreciate all the advice and tips, but I'm not as deep into the car audio scene as you guys are.

Justinw303
06-25-2005, 02:26 AM
Can you say Change of Heart?

Well, because you guys were so stubborn, I got to really looking at the BPV, and I think I'll start looking for something else now. The reason is I burn a lot of CD's from songs I download, and the BPV doesn't play MP3 files(which is really strange because the no-name, P.O.S., 3 year-old HU I have now does). So, I guess I'll have to look for one that does.

Thanks for not giving in and saying "Yeah, go ahead, that's a great HU!" :)

I appreciate it.

IRACEMYCOPCAR
06-29-2005, 12:18 PM
We used to sell them at the shop i worked at, we nick named them Blau-junk, the failure rate on those units was astronomical (some wouldnt read cd's out of the box) and i was constantly losing money changing them out for free under warranty, beware if you buy this unit, it may only work for a short period of time before you have to send it back, after a couple of times you will get tired of it and wish you had spent a little more on a pioneer or kenwood. we are currently selling pioneer DEH-1700's for $99 with a $20 mail in rebate from pioneer.

Justinw303
07-01-2005, 12:26 AM
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-N22ICDbAQkf/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=113MP4028&s=0&cc=01

I like this one. I have a feeling it's a winner. :)

Silver
07-01-2005, 10:46 AM
Nice unit there, are you planning to run stock speakers? Orr what? Just letting you know if u run stock speakers to this HU you'll be dissapointed because it will sound like banging on a box. :eek: Which means that you won't be able to use the HU to any of its full potential.

Now, if you upgrade your speakers do it when you have enough money to buy an amp at the same time. Or else you'll be very dissapointed. :uhoh:

I just bought a alpine 9825 for 170$ & circuit city ran it to 4 pioneer 6 x 8 speakers (not the best, but still nice). I was underdriving them with 18wrms, they need 30 atleast to sound good. So it sounded like sh*t. Took the alpine back and ordered a Clarion DXZ655MP and a Alpine MRP 240 amp. I'm getting them soon.

Anyways, that headunit is a great start to what your planning. It looks like you have options to expand at. Kenwood makes a nice unit. Just don't set ur bass up too high on the unit ;). :laugh:

Justinw303
07-01-2005, 01:05 PM
Well, I've already upgraded my speakers, it was the first thing I did. I went with a pair of 6.5" Alpine Type S coaxials, because I'm not advanced enough to install components, and I honestly don't have the money for an amp to power just some door speakers.

Would you like to see what I have planned for the rest of my system? Like, the amp/sub combo since you've already seen the HU?

Silver
07-01-2005, 10:04 PM
Yes, :thumbsup: about the speakers.

Well if your powering just two speakers you should be fine.

Whats your sub/amp combo?

Justintoxicated
07-01-2005, 11:03 PM
for another $100 you can get a MUCH Better HU.

1 set of pre-outs means you can only hook up AND controll one 2 channel amp. You can hook up more amps but wont' be able to controll them seperately from the HU.

I would recomend a HU that has at least 3 sets of RCA (front) (rear) and (Sub) or at least 2 sets (front and rear) in case you decide you need to power your fronts off more than the HU, and once you get subs you will decide to do this because Hu power BLOWS.

UndercoverPunk
07-01-2005, 11:20 PM
Blaupunkt = crap I have the San Francisco CD72, it was their flagship last year, and it blows... I rate that as my biggest caraudio mistake ever... even over the audiobahn speakers I had when I first came to this forum...

DO NOT BUY THE BLAU... you can get MUCH better for the money...

Justinw303
07-02-2005, 02:12 AM
Yes, :thumbsup: about the speakers.

Well if your powering just two speakers you should be fine.

Whats your sub/amp combo?

I'm getting a pair of RE8's, about .42 cubic foot sealed per sub in truck-style box behind the seat of my F-150.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-q6ZqxWyYc8u/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=037A4002T&s=0&cc=01

That's my amp, I'll be wiring the subs in series-parallel at 4 ohms, so the amp will be bridged putting out 400 watts, 200 to each sub.

supa_c
07-02-2005, 04:39 AM
I have the 755, i like it. But i want to sell it since i have no use for it
No problems and the remote is small.
it definetly has some power in it and could eaisly power some aftermarket speakers wthout the need of an external amp
Its a git-r-dun H/U

Silver
07-02-2005, 02:24 PM
Justin, nice choice on subs. That amp is a good amp (many people dislike audiobahn here so watch out) haha. Your setup will be fine. To save a few bucks go here.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=13486

and for that HU

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=14773

save yourself a few bucks. Enjoy your new system. Any other questions PM me.

Justinw303
07-02-2005, 07:17 PM
I think I'll just spend the extra bucks and get it from Crutchfield because they have good tech support, and when you order something it comes with a How-To install guide. It might come in handy.

Thanks for the help man.