PDA

View Full Version : STEALTH headunits? Where'd they go?

JadeFalcon
06-13-2005, 02:37 PM
I just got in the market again for a new headunit, and I wanted something that's nice and something with some sort of stealth so I won't have to detatch a faceplate everytime I get out of the car. Searching for this kinda thing on crutchfield and other places turned up jack ****. Did companies stop producing things like this? If so, why?

About what I'm looking for:

Starts out like http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/products/2004/113/h113mp825-f.jpeg
Ends up like
http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/products/2004/113/h113mp825-o_closed.jpeg

Slaugh
06-13-2005, 02:39 PM
you can still find the Alpine 7998 for sale (me thinks)

i still preffer the detachable faceplate ones, imo

JadeFalcon
06-13-2005, 02:44 PM
Yeah I thought of buying something old or used, but I'm wondering why nobody seems to make anything like that anymore. I had a Sony CDX M850MP (active black display) for awhile, parked it in a rather bad part of town w/o an alarm and it never got any attention. Perhaps this stealth stuff doesn't work?

Any specific reasons you prefer detachable faceplates?

Thanks!

scrappy
06-13-2005, 03:02 PM
the more motorized it is the more prone to problems. I had an excelon hu it was very nice but it died because of the mask feature on it. I got another one because it lasted until it was time to upgrade anyways. The new kenwood excelopns are detachable face because of this problem

Slaugh
06-13-2005, 03:27 PM
Yeah I thought of buying something old or used, but I'm wondering why nobody seems to make anything like that anymore. I had a Sony CDX M850MP (active black display) for awhile, parked it in a rather bad part of town w/o an alarm and it never got any attention. Perhaps this stealth stuff doesn't work?

Any specific reasons you prefer detachable faceplates?

Thanks!
my friend had the EXACT same headunit

it was stolen off his car

Shyne151
06-13-2005, 03:31 PM
Just get one with a removable face plate, it takes all of 5seconds to take it off.

jujumantb
06-13-2005, 03:36 PM
Those stealth decks are pretty pointless IMO, there is little stealth to them... ANy idiot can identify that as the deck if thats the only thing in the dash, especially if its in the area that usually holds the stock radio. The only way for that to be effective is to keep the stock deck in place and install that in a different slot, a slot very few cars have... If you are going for stealth, you will want to do some custom work like a faux stock face covering your aftermarket deck.

JadeFalcon
06-13-2005, 08:38 PM
my friend had the EXACT same headunit

it was stolen off his car

****, thanks for that tidbit of info. . . my car prolly didn't attract any theives to begin with. lol :p: But with my current car I get attention all the time. :uhoh:

So basically I gather that these were taken off the market because they aren't very effective. . . that seems to be the general feeling around here.

I guess I'll look into one o dem detachable thingers. . .

packerfan
06-13-2005, 08:43 PM
Get an eclipse with ESN...

MDDrew
06-14-2005, 04:07 AM
lol they will still steal it

Slaugh
06-14-2005, 04:08 AM
****, thanks for that tidbit of info. . . my car prolly didn't attract any theives to begin with. lol :p: But with my current car I get attention all the time. :uhoh:

So basically I gather that these were taken off the market because they aren't very effective. . . that seems to be the general feeling around here.

I guess I'll look into one o dem detachable thingers. . .
well you live in another country thou

crime here is stronger here :(

supa_c
06-14-2005, 04:18 AM
Those stealth decks are pretty pointless IMO, there is little stealth to them... ANy idiot can identify that as the deck if thats the only thing in the dash, especially if its in the area that usually holds the stock radio. The only way for that to be effective is to keep the stock deck in place and install that in a different slot, a slot very few cars have... If you are going for stealth, you will want to do some custom work like a faux stock face covering your aftermarket deck.
I have a honda H/u face that i would work great for the faux face.
Anyone want it ?
shipping and its yours

packerfan
06-14-2005, 01:29 PM
lol they will still steal it

So? if you bought it from an auth dealer you can get a 1 year theft replacement warrenty and it will get replaced....

Chevyaudio
06-14-2005, 01:33 PM
I dont like the stealth decks because if they steal the deck they have every thing including the face, where as if you detach the face from a detachable face deck and take it with you it would be pointless for a thief to take the faceless deck.

Prowler573
06-14-2005, 02:03 PM
I know people that have had their faceless decks ripped off...some fool gets in their ride and I guess they're mad that they invested the energy to get into the car so they figure they're gonna leave with SOMETHING for their trouble.....either that or they decide if they can't use your deck then you can't either.

On an aside...Chevyaudio...glad to see another S'porter in here....I thought all the Louisianians in here were south of I-10 :)

acousticguitar
06-14-2005, 03:07 PM
I have a honda H/u face that i would work great for the faux face.
Anyone want it ?
shipping and its yours

got pics? hastingsesq@yahoo.com

Logikalliquid
06-14-2005, 04:09 PM
Has anyone seen the Kenwood stealth decks? They have a front piece you take off when they close. It ends up looking like someone already tried to steal the deck with circuits exposed.

supa_c
06-14-2005, 08:06 PM
got pics? hastingsesq@yahoo.com
Nope.
Looks like your typical 98 + honda CD player.

nine9sH
06-15-2005, 12:45 PM
My first deck was actually one of those kenwood mask decks. I got it cuz it was pretty kool lol. Since then my decks been eclipse.

Just get a pager alarm if you're worried about thieves.