PDA

View Full Version : Kick Panel pods(making copies)

dbornotdb
06-13-2005, 11:48 AM
OK someone asked how to do this. So I will show one way to go about it. What I don't have pics of I will explain as best I can.

It has it good and bad points.
GOOD---- Factory panels are unharmed and reuseable.
BAD------- Mounting clips aren't always able to be replicated.

No mounting clips were duplicated in this so the pillars held the tops of the panels and the doors sill plates held the lower secton of the panels in. And with the pods on there, they rested at the floor so it was sturdy.

jacko
06-13-2005, 11:50 AM
is there more to this?

dbornotdb
06-13-2005, 11:54 AM
Take your factory panels and cover them in a layer or 2 of masking tape.
Here the passenger side is covered and the drivers side is next.

dbornotdb
06-13-2005, 11:55 AM
is there more to this?

Patience.

I have to resize every pic as I write this. :mad:

dbornotdb
06-13-2005, 11:57 AM
With the panels all taped up, use a marker and trace the outside edges, or any other area you would like to have cut out.

The marked line will transfer to the glass so you know where to trim.

dbornotdb
06-13-2005, 12:01 PM
Then break out your mat and resin and add at least 4 layers.

Here is a shot of it with 2 layers and then with 4 layers. You can see the difference. More layers will keep the mold true.

dbornotdb
06-13-2005, 12:04 PM
Then peel the mold off after it has completly dried. Taking the tape off the panel is easiest. Then peel what tape of the fiberglass you can. It all doesn't have to come off.

dbornotdb
06-13-2005, 12:08 PM
Then trim on the marker line that you made earlier and it should match your factory panel if you did it as I said do it.

the_noob
06-13-2005, 12:10 PM
:woot: nice work.

dbornotdb
06-13-2005, 12:10 PM
Then from there, you can figure out how you want it to attach to the car. There are many options. You can add clips that line up with factory holes then 'glass over them when you add pods.

Al that is left to do is add your pods, stretch fabric of choice over them and do what you have to do.
There are many, many threads on that here.

Questions??

jellyfish420
06-13-2005, 03:06 PM
i got a question, it only half way pertains to your topic :p: this kitty hair everyone is talking about... do you only use that for sub boxes, or could you use it for kicks too? where do you get it, and how do you use it.

btmorris972
06-13-2005, 03:14 PM
do you put anything behind the kick-panels to seal it off? or is it not that important

edit

Im currently looking for some prefabed kicks for a 2000 camry le. i looked on crutchfield for some q-logic kicks but they dont have them for my car.

anyone know where i could get some prefab kicks for my car??

if not what kind of money would i be looking at to have some custom made?

on the other hand i might try to make my own using the factory kicks for templates.

jujumantb
06-13-2005, 03:20 PM
i got a question, it only half way pertains to your topic :p: this kitty hair everyone is talking about... do you only use that for sub boxes, or could you use it for kicks too? where do you get it, and how do you use it.
You could use it for kicks I suppose... "kitty hair" is, I believe, just bondo reinforced with fiberglass strands.. I dont think it is necessary for anything at all in car audio though. It looks to be useful in high stress applications so that the bondo wont crack, if you fiberglass correctly before applying bondo, it is unnecessary to use... just use normal bondo.

dbornotdb
06-13-2005, 03:51 PM
On these particualr kick panels, I made the pods, stretched fleece over them, when that dried, I used the "kitty hair" to shape it like I wanted, sanded it and then it was covered in matching carpet. If it was to be painted, I would have followed with some Rage filler then filler primer and paint.

Bondo hair, kitty hair, whatever brand, has it's place. Just depends on what you plan to do. I don't really see much need for a layer or 3 of mat over kicks when it houses mids. If it is solid, it won't ring.

MetalMaxima
06-13-2005, 03:51 PM
Kitty Hair = teh choice of ***** fiberglassers

dbornotdb
06-13-2005, 03:54 PM
And incase you don't see the other thread, here are a couple shots of those pods installed.

http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=3742
http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=3741

jellyfish420
06-13-2005, 06:06 PM
mine have a screw hole in each right near the top. screw hold them in the top, and sill plate on the bottom. what would i do in my situation? if i leave the screw out the top will "flop" around...

req
06-13-2005, 08:24 PM
jelly, think about it.

when you 'replicate' the kick, you will know where the hole is. then like making any other box with fiberglass, mount your baffle on your fiberglass kicks, and stretch your fleece around your duplicated kicks (making sure any parts that fit underneath the next trim panel arent stretched over) and ten finish up.

you guys asking questions really need to think about what is going on, read some other tutorials and see if you can understand how he made them :(

born,

great job man. i might do that for a friend of mine :)

jellyfish420
06-13-2005, 08:37 PM
jelly, think about it.

when you 'replicate' the kick, you will know where the hole is. then like making any other box with fiberglass, mount your baffle on your fiberglass kicks, and stretch your fleece around your duplicated kicks (making sure any parts that fit underneath the next trim panel arent stretched over) and ten finish up.

you guys asking questions really need to think about what is going on, read some other tutorials and see if you can understand how he made them :(

born,

great job man. i might do that for a friend of mine :)
what i'm saying is that when i stretch the fleece it would be right over the hole. therefor making the hole inaccessible. would i just have to have a hole thru the whole thing? or is there a trick?

dbornotdb
06-13-2005, 09:47 PM
Either make the pod low enough low enough to not affect the screw hole, or high enough to access the screw hole through the pod before the speaker is in it.

Or drill the hole out and add a panel fastener, like those on door panels, and then 'glass over them and it should push in and out as needed.

jellyfish420
06-13-2005, 11:02 PM
Or drill the hole out and add a panel fastener, like those on door panels, and then 'glass over them and it should push in and out as needed.

thats a good one, i like that...