PDA

View Full Version : Kinda new to this stuff.

flakko
06-13-2005, 06:55 AM
Ive got my sub picked out: a eu-700 or an RE8.

now my question is, is it possible to run 2 sets of 2-way component speakers (from car audio) successfully in a home theatre system? and another question, out of what ive seen in the home audio stuff, its all ported. Will it be okay to run the components (if possible) sealed?

thanks!

edit: YAY!! 2k POSTS! :veryhapp: :veryhapp:

PV Audio
06-13-2005, 01:53 PM
yes it is possible, but i don't understand why people want to run component car speakers in a home setup. it's like running marine speakers in ur house: it'll work, but there's no reason to do it.

JimJ
06-13-2005, 03:22 PM
out of what ive seen in the home audio stuff, its all ported.

Nonsense - sealed setups work just as well, if you have the amplifier power to run them. I went bass reflex for mine, simply because I couldn't spare the power.

The biggest problem with car audio drivers at home is they might not be designed for sealed enclosures like the kind you'll be using at home, they might be optimized for IB such as in a door. Best to contact the manufacturer with the enclosure alignment you're thinking of, and seeing what they have to say.

Bottom line? I wouldn't do it without talking to the manufacturer first. Home audio mids and tweets are so cheap for quality ones anyway, it would probably be cheaper to go that route and build a simple, pre-designed Xover.

Or...go full range and skip the crossover! :D The speakers I used in my homebuilt speaker project were 36 bucks each, and I didn't need a crossover for them.

flakko
06-14-2005, 05:31 AM
the stuff at partsexpress is good stuff rite?

JimJ
06-14-2005, 05:58 AM
Do you have specific links? :)

But yes - the vast majority of stuff they sell has been used and tested by DIY'ers worldwide, so you know you're getting good stuff. But of course, it depends on what drivers you get ;)

Qwerty
06-17-2005, 11:08 AM
I would not recommend using component speakers in your house. They are designed to work in the door panels or kick panels of a car. They were not designed to be placed in a larger cabinet for use in a home stereo.

I would recommend either purchasing speakers from a trusted manufacturer or building your own. It is difficult to build your own speakers and make them sound comparable to really good sounding speakers if you have no previous experience.

Recommended speakers: Paradigm Mini Monitors, Paradigm Titans, Paradigm Studio 20's.

http://www.paradigm.com/Website/News/news2.html

vettelovr1124
06-19-2005, 03:06 AM
Do you have specific links? :)

But yes - the vast majority of stuff they sell has been used and tested by DIY'ers worldwide, so you know you're getting good stuff. But of course, it depends on what drivers you get ;)
Yup...that's where I got all my speaker stuff...with exception to the tempest.;)

flakko
06-19-2005, 03:14 AM
i will get a plate amp, and all the multi channel amps are so freakin expensive.