PDA

View Full Version : 02 vw golf IV 2.0 and a turbo mate?

pwnt by pat
06-12-2005, 05:20 PM
115 horse 4 door

Not looking to race, just to give the car a bit more go. Through a 30 second google search, I found this (stage 1 kit):

http://www.vwturbo.com/products/items/mkiv8v.asp

It looks like that kit is shy an intercooler and possibly pipeing, headers?. What would be a 'better' kit. Ideally, I'd like to NOT upgrade to a big exhaust. I would probably give it a short-air intake or something too.

OR... is there a more powerful engine that could be swapped?

Any kind of help is appreciated. I've done a little bit of research but when it comes to this kind of stuff, I'm newb.

Strecker25
06-12-2005, 09:38 PM
i have heard turbo on the 2.0 is a VERY unreliable way to go. look for a vw forum i was lurking around one for a while and there are plenty of boosted golfs around, im sure they can point u in the right direction.

analogkid
06-12-2005, 11:24 PM
do a vr6 swap?

packerfan
06-13-2005, 12:28 AM
do a vr6 swap?

x2 that would be the best way to go, then just do bolt ons like pullys, cat back exhaust, headers intake etc.

that turbo kit has a manifold for it already, so you dont need headers. And for a turbo, you NEED bigger exhaust because if your putting in all that air, it has to come out somewhere and stock exhaust will not cut it.

pwnt by pat
06-13-2005, 03:07 AM
And for a turbo, you NEED bigger exhaust because if your putting in all that air, it has to come out somewhere and stock exhaust will not cut it.

How do they get away with a small stock exhaust on all the 1.8ts? Friend did had a a 1.8t late 90s Passat. That did **** *** though, especially after we jumped it at 80 and it started leaking several unknown fluids...

Starting to think it just may not be worth it... hating doubting myself after a while

IA2
06-13-2005, 08:21 AM
because they have a (relatively) small turbo, and performance is generally never maximized from the factory on turbo cars (or any car for that matter)

marleyskater420
06-15-2005, 11:51 PM
because they have a (relatively) small turbo, and performance is generally never maximized from the factory on turbo cars (or any car for that matter)

Yup.

Ideally, for a turbo car, you would want the BIGGEST pipe you could fit on the DP, with the max being 3.5". The turbo does not need backpressure on the turbine side exiting because all the backpressure is on the inducer side of the turbine, so the faster you can exit the gas, the better. Its not like N/A in the least w/ backpressure.

There is no 1.Exhaust scavenging 2.)Mechanical breakdown of fuel and 3.)Atomization of the fuel. on turbo cars.

IA2 said it best.

Mooseaudiophile
06-16-2005, 02:39 AM
I own a GTI mk3 with the 2.0 8v, n yeah the power aint to great, but I put on a full exhaust (short of headers) n it easily gave it 15 more hp and 15 more torque, costs bought 500 $ these days, and turbos for this particular engine is deffinately not the way to go, personally, i would stick with internal mods, like a new cam, springs n valves, plus some pulleys and intake, n then look to get some nice springs (or coilovers if u got the money)....if u r intent on FI though, go with the xflo screw compresor, u never see turbos on these cars for the strict reason that the supercharger is perfect for this engine....just check out www.bahnbrenner.com, or www.neuspeed.com for that matter, either way, deffinatly go with a cat back set up if u choose N/A, FI, or FI with all my other N/A recomendations