PDA

View Full Version : Remaking my component baffles

flakko
06-12-2005, 07:18 AM
okay, my component baffles ****. you all know that. I am going to make some new 5.25" ones for my new components coming in. Now, before i make the same mistake i had made before, how do i make the speaker flush with the baffle? i know that you use a router and use some sort of component attatched to it, but i forgot what that "component" was called and i dont know where to get one, nor how to use it. any help would be helpful.

Dtowncats
06-12-2005, 11:18 AM
You need one baffle cut out to the mounting diameter and another cut out to the outside diameter of the speaker. Then you just glue them together. I don't know what bit you are talking about

AzGrower
06-12-2005, 01:51 PM
Its called a "rabetting" bit. it comes in different sizes, so you need to know the measurement of the speaker's metal mounting ring, then just find a bit that will work for you. What you need to do is only cut the inside diameter cut (so the speaker fits in), then use the router and the rabetting bit to cut the flush mount. Also, dont forget to adjust the height of your router so you only cut out a small amount, just enough to make the speaker flush. Be warned they are not cheap.

Here is a pic of the bit you need. Also, you will need spacer bearings too.

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product_details.cfm?cookietest=1&uuid=71B2CF1C-6291-F43B-2ADF4EDF02076E47&SID=AF764&RMSID=Z5000&offerings_id=2116

flakko
06-12-2005, 03:55 PM
crap that is one expensive thing. ill see if any of my friends have one. either that, or ill do what downcats said(which is wat i did with my current baffle :)).

Dtowncats
06-13-2005, 01:22 AM
crap that is one expensive thing. ill see if any of my friends have one. either that, or ill do what downcats said(which is wat i did with my current baffle :)).
Oh, I didn't know that you just wanted the speaker flush. I thought you were going to be using the grills for the speakers too.

JAZN
06-13-2005, 03:14 AM
what comps are you getting?

cjjackson85
06-13-2005, 03:15 AM
Read teh sig dum ***... (soon: Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X789 ) that's right

flakko
06-13-2005, 03:18 AM
Oh, I didn't know that you just wanted the speaker flush. I thought you were going to be using the grills for the speakers too.
oh i am going to use the grills

one step up from my current comps! ;)