PDA

View Full Version : Alternate to fiberglass matte?

Raven
06-11-2005, 12:24 PM
Long story short, I have a $#!7load of the stuff in the attachment that's going to be disposed of. You can tear off little bits of it. It's fiberglass. Can it be used in place of normal matte?

AzGrower
06-11-2005, 12:30 PM
I dont think so. By the time you waste so much resin trying to soak it in, AND all the itchy fibers all over your body, its not worth it. Normal fiberglass wont work because matting or cloth used specific for fiberglassing has a special binder used to allow the resin to break it down when applying it. This kind of fiberglass you have is probably also treated to keep from breaking down in your house (which is its normal function). The resin may not react well with this coating it has. Matting is so **** cheap, and its easy enought to run to a Lowes or Homie Depot and pick up a few packages of it, its not worth it to try.

Or from another thread I read earlier, you may want to try and use paper towels (thats a joke, I know, but some tard actually thought it may work)

MetalMaxima
06-11-2005, 12:31 PM
Hell no, dude. The matte is useful because it has a uniform thickness...that stuf will not. Moreover, THAT stuff will require about a gallon to fully soak that peice you have thar.

MetalMaxima
06-11-2005, 12:31 PM
Or from another thread I read earlier, you may want to try and use paper towels (thats a joke, I know, but some tard actually thought it may work)

He got pwn3d all up and down that thread, but the f'ucktard deserved it.

BeanII
06-11-2005, 02:44 PM
THAT stuff'll make your nuts itch for sure.

BeanII
06-11-2005, 02:45 PM
oh, and as we decided in the other thread........ paper towels won't work either.

AzGrower
06-11-2005, 03:51 PM
oh, and as we decided in the other thread........ paper towels won't work either.

Are you sure cause the resin is already very hard, almost like the matting isnt needed. What about adding just more layers of resin? Will that do the trick? :uhoh:

req
06-11-2005, 03:57 PM
dude. just try it. stop asking - and do it.

you tell us if it will work, because obviously you dont wanna spend the money, i dont wanna get into it, and hell- how should we know. im sure as hell none of us has ever done it.

if you do try it. make sure you peel it apart so the layers are thinner.

bcarpenterfhl
06-11-2005, 07:20 PM
that looks like fiberglass insulation for houses to me. do people actually do glass work with that?

BeanII
06-11-2005, 10:45 PM
that looks like fiberglass insulation for houses to me. do people actually do glass work with that?

no