PDA

View Full Version : OK, you're probably gonna laugh...

Diplexers
06-11-2005, 03:12 AM
I had a little money and decided to replace the sub in my HT Sub-woofer. Now even though I had the money to get a JL 10W0, I decided since homeaudio isn't as tempermental as car audio and much more forgiving; I went and bought a Lightning audio Bolt 10" sub. Now before you laugh, this little bastard sounds great for only 36.00 bucks. I mean it is really a good sounding sub. I

I just had to be honest. I have been into audio equipment for more than 14 years now. I have listened to the best including Dyn, and Bang & Olufsen and for 36.00 bucks I am more than happy with the results.

If you have a cheap speaker story, lets hear it. I wanna know all of you running speakers you would be embarrased to admit, but are happy with its performance.

P.S. I have JL 10W0's in my Vega towers, they sound great too. ;)

PV Audio
06-11-2005, 12:52 PM
I had a little money and decided to replace the sub in my HT Sub-woofer. Now even though I had the money to get a JL 10W0, I decided since homeaudio isn't as tempermental as car audio and much more forgiving; I went and bought a Lightning audio Bolt 10" sub. Now before you laugh, this little bastard sounds great for only 36.00 bucks. I mean it is really a good sounding sub. I

I just had to be honest. I have been into audio equipment for more than 14 years now. I have listened to the best including Dyn, and Bang & Olufsen and for 36.00 bucks I am more than happy with the results.

If you have a cheap speaker story, lets hear it. I wanna know all of you running speakers you would be embarrased to admit, but are happy with its performance.

P.S. I have JL 10W0's in my Vega towers, they sound great too. ;)
u obviously haven't heard the best then ;)

anyway, i was using a lightning audio sub for a good 3 hours before its bottoming out noises drove me nuts. :laugh: :laugh: the box swimfreak designed for me was nuts as well

btmorris972
06-23-2005, 02:57 PM
my roomate/cousin has a jensen 10" bandpass box that he got for 20 bucks from walmart on clearence. hes a store manager for walmart btw. he is powering this sub with a sony xplode 100 watt amp or something. for what it is it sounds pretty good not great but good.

he had the jensen for like 2 years and never hooked it up. hes currently about to upgrade to a alpine 10" type r

tRiGgEr
06-23-2005, 03:05 PM
Second subs I ever ran were some DHD subs. They were black with green cones. Had them sealed in .5ft^3 each.

They were insane! they would tickle the hairs on your neck. For $25 each they sounded pretty good.

squeak9798
06-24-2005, 12:31 PM
This isn't HT related......but;

I sold an acquaintance of mine a pair of 10" Sentrek and a pair of 10" Optimus (Rat Shack style) subwoofers. The Optimus were already in a box, so he went to Walmart and picked up two more enclosures for the Sentrek's. He ran them off of some crappy Legacy amp or something.

Low and behold, those 4 super low end 10's got pretty darn loud. Didn't sound the greatest sound quality wise, but it was listenable. And it'd make your nose itch a little when going balls to the wall.

I actually felt kinda bad right after I sold them to him, cause I was like "Oh man, he's going to hook all those up and it's going to sound like crap." But by god, it gave him exactly what he was looking for; pretty stinkin' loud and sounded good enough for rap.

Prowler573
06-24-2005, 12:40 PM
I was using a pair of eXcelon KFC-Xw10dB's in a .8^3/side (after displacement) dual sealed box before I went with my current DAT M6 ported setup.

Not wanting to waste a pair of good 10s (poo-poo Kenwood all ya want...these 10s do sound pretty good, IMO) I stuck them in between the end of my couch and a bookshelf, wired them in series for an 8 ohm load, and connected them to the sub-channel on my HT receiver. They sound really f***in good on both music and movies considering they're only getting 50w/apiece from the receiver !

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/prowler573/Dsc01692.jpg

myvanpounds
06-26-2005, 12:37 AM
<---- using two RE8's in TL's with 400 watts in my room :)

netherland24
06-26-2005, 12:40 AM
i liked my 2 10 sony p5's they where awsome gave them 400 watts bridged but the sound wasnt bad for 200$ for the sub wiring box and amp i coudnt beat it. wish i didnt sell it would of worked on getting more sonys and just walling them off

ntense702
06-26-2005, 12:55 AM
I got quite a few stories, I had a 10" Thump that was in this oversized pyramid shaped box (at least 2-2.5 cf), I don't remember if the sub was single 4 or 8 ohm, but my kenwood receiver slammed the ***** out it and it shaked up my room, rattled my door and closet doors, to this day I feel for my neighbors, they were elderly and this were connected apartments we lived in lol! I also had an 8" optimus that got pretty **** loud in a 1-1.5 sealed down firing, sh!ttiest subs I ever had in my car were (sorry prowler) some Kenwood tornadoes in a prefab bandpass, oh they ****** azz and I blew them within 1 hour of listening off of a performance teknique 2x400 (2x250 RMS), I don't know what it is about kenwood, excellent HT, worthless CA IMO.

myvanpounds
06-26-2005, 01:16 AM
hey now, their hu's are good

ntense702
06-26-2005, 01:19 AM
hey now, their hu's are good
yeah, you got me there...

Prowler573
06-26-2005, 04:08 AM
ntense702, I take no issue with your remarks about the Kenwood 'tornado'-series subs. I've heard several of them and didn't like either the SQ or the SPL offered by any of the setups I heard that used them.
For a great many years I loved Kenwood's HUs and wouldn't buy any of their speakers coz I just didn't like the sound of them. I bought the eXcelon 10s I have coz I had read good reviews on them and got 'em dirt cheap as a last year's model closeout. In my car they sounded really good on 600 watts and in my living room they sound surprisingly good on 100 watts.

I will admit I hear/see heaps of gripes on the regular Kenwood lineup of speakers and amps and in all honesty probably wouldn't suggest it to anyone looking to buy some stereo equipment. I do like the eXcelon gear, though. *shrug* Everybody's got their preference, I suppose. :)

theCybe
06-26-2005, 09:24 AM
Two 8" Pyramid "Phase III" in my home setup - have had 'em for years, no idea where they came from. Just know I blew the paper ones up when I was a kid. ;)

Decipha
06-26-2005, 09:31 AM
el cheapo pioneer 12 ts (something) free air sub ($60)

i had it running off 150 rms in a 2.5 cu sealed box, sounded decent ...up until i blew the sub

psych0ticnemes1
06-28-2005, 02:52 PM
pyramid hyper pro series 12's off a power acoustik lt 980 :) sounded like ***, looked like ***, but got loud for a month til they blew...

AznRevlAzn
06-29-2005, 05:47 PM
My old Lanzar MAX12's were great subs. good sq and good spl. Loved them.

Basshead808
06-30-2005, 01:20 AM
Wow thats cool.. Well since I use my RE8 for the car now I have my two 8" Optimus Pro Series subs and run it on the DVD Player in my parlor. Sounds like a movie theather.

wulff
07-07-2005, 12:07 AM
I see someone mentioned Rat Shack Opimus speakers... I built a "Death Box" (from Decware plans) and used 2 10" Opimus clamshell config and hooked it up to my home system. Sounded great on movies. Then a local Audio place owed me $150 so they gave me a new subwoofer (they said was about $200) I forget the name as I installed it and packed it away but was gonna try it in my car.
But getting back to the cheap-o's they really took the amps cuz the clamshell mounting really stiffened 'em up.

JimJ
07-07-2005, 08:41 AM
Just something to look at...

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1122999249

Those are built with maybe $10 drivers...and they'll beat the pants off things costing twice as much as he's asking for 'em :D

myvanpounds
07-07-2005, 02:59 PM
Just something to look at...

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1122999249

Those are built with maybe $10 drivers...and they'll beat the pants off things costing twice as much as he's asking for 'em :D

gotta love TL's and TQWT's, I still have yet to play with vought pipes tho, but my 2 8's in TL's are very tight and accurate

creater
07-07-2005, 11:53 PM
i got 2 Blast King 12" in my room...they go at 150wrms each...these things get hard...if i had a cam i would have taken pics cause they are right behind me

myvanpounds
07-09-2005, 01:24 AM

PV Audio
07-09-2005, 01:44 AM
my aperiodic setup embarrasses you all