PDA

View Full Version : getting components

littlebuddy34
06-10-2005, 10:42 PM
Hey all, i've been looking at getting some components for a while and doing a lot of reading and such. I have been looking at speakers such as diamonds, some focals, some fusions, and yes the steadily rising bandwagon rainbows. All these seem nice, but i have an urge to go active with a set of xxx 6.5's.

1. Could anybody make a suggestion for a nice tweeter to use?

2. When using an active crossover i would simply bandpass the mids and highpass the tweeters right? But at what frequency would i do this???

3. Do you think it is worth all the trouble for me to go active or should i just go with a set of comps from the above mentioned companies? I've never had components before so i'm kind of a novice. But i'm willing to learn and experiment.

T3mpest
06-11-2005, 01:01 AM
You should be happy with a prebuilt system, a fully active setup can end up costing more and giving subpar results if you don't know what you are doing. KISS applies heavily for SQ installs, even when pros are involved. All the companies you mentioned have very nice comp sets so I'd just go with 1 of them.

flakko
06-11-2005, 01:03 AM
oh if yer goin active, pm desertheat about his aura tweets. nothin but praise about them.

cappy72
06-11-2005, 07:54 AM
+++2 for dessertheat and the tweets

squeak9798
06-11-2005, 11:48 AM
1. Could anybody make a suggestion for a nice tweeter to use?

Depends on your budget.

2. When using an active crossover i would simply bandpass the mids and highpass the tweeters right?

Yup

But at what frequency would i do this???

100% install and equipment dependent.

3. Do you think it is worth all the trouble for me to go active or should i just go with a set of comps from the above mentioned companies?

Well, you can get excellent results either way. But, IMHO, if you are a novice to component systems altogether it would be a better idea to go with a prebuilt comp set for now, to familiarize yourself with them, their performance, what does/doesn't work install and tuning wise, etc etc. So, I'd say go with the prebuilts for now to pop your cherry, and once you get a little more experience under your belt go for active. Because honestly, without properly setting up and tuning an active setup it is possible it will sound worse than simply going to with prebuilt set (not to mention you can damage your tweeter if not careful with the xover point....and that's not something you have to worry about with prebuilts).