PDA

View Full Version : better to custom your components or get system?

sirloin
06-10-2005, 04:20 PM
well i have alot of posts lately about components and i have learned alot. but im just wondering why does it seem cheaper to make a custom comp system than a already made one?

myvanpounds
06-10-2005, 04:39 PM
cause the parts can be bought cheap, the probalem is you have to know what the hell your doing with the crossover other wise it'll sound ******, I'f you can't write up a crossover scematic then forget it. crossovers = money thats why the high end components will cost so much, ya the drivers are better with the high end stuff but the crossovers are just as important, and usually alot more R&D goes into high end crossovers

JimJ
06-10-2005, 04:48 PM
crossovers = money thats why the high end components will cost so much

Psst - all you need is some PC board material, some caps, inductors, and some toroids...not that much in parts outlay :) The designing is where the work is.

If you read up on the theory of Xover design, and go to a forum like DIYAudio where there are a lot of people that know what they're doing, it's a lot easier.

99StangGt
06-10-2005, 04:50 PM
the best way is to go active but then it takes more amps. But more adjustability

sirloin
06-10-2005, 04:54 PM
well according to squeak all i need is a coustc XM6 cross and im good lol.

Logikalliquid
06-10-2005, 04:58 PM
you just need 1channel per speaker when you go active(and a active Xover obviously :P). So if you have a stereo 2-way comp set, then you will need 4channels to power them. Basically a 4ch amp instead of a 2ch.

myvanpounds
06-10-2005, 05:16 PM
Psst - all you need is some PC board material, some caps, inductors, and some toroids...not that much in parts outlay :) The designing is where the work is.

If you read up on the theory of Xover design, and go to a forum like DIYAudio where there are a lot of people that know what they're doing, it's a lot easier.

tru tru, but most people don't know what an L-pad is, and they are going to pay for a fully designed crossover. the parts are hella cheap but some people feel more comfortable paying and leting someone else do the R&D, not that a crossover is complicated the average person isn't going to take the time to learn em

Logikalliquid
06-10-2005, 05:20 PM
I think most people dont realize that that printed circuits on most boards could just as easily be average high-guage wire. Thats what scares most people away, I think.

squeak9798
06-10-2005, 05:39 PM
well according to squeak all i need is a coustc XM6 cross and im good lol.

For active, yes. They are talking about using passives :)

JimJ
06-10-2005, 05:54 PM
Thats what scares most people away, I think.

@ audio frequencies, sure :D

Once you get above 500KHz or so, those PCB's serve a purpose ;)